NCAA College Basketball 2009-10 Season

Kentucky has the best win percentage too. :D

Correct me if I am wrong on my KY history, but wasn't there a few years in there that UK did not play ball? IIRC, the program was almost dropped (or maybe was) some time in the ancient past.

Dayum, where is my fanatic UK neighbor when I need him? Oh, that's right, on vacation. :D

Any other schools that had periods that anyone knows of?

Correct me if I am wrong on my KY history, but wasn't there a few years in there that UK did not play ball? IIRC, the program was almost dropped (or maybe was) some time in the ancient past.

Dayum, where is my fanatic UK neighbor when I need him? Oh, that's right, on vacation. :D

Kentucky had one year where they didn't play due to have been given the death penalty. And you thought SMU was the only school to be strapped into the NCAA's electric chair. :D

Not any other high profile ones....
On October 20, 1951—in the midst of one of the most serious point shaving scandals in college basketball history—former Kentucky basketball players Alex Groza, Ralph Beard and Dale Barnstable were arrested for taking money from gamblers to shave points during the 1948-49 season, in which the Wildcats won their second straight national title.

Groza, Beard and Barnstable pleaded guilty to taking $1,500 in bribes in return for shaving points in a 1949 National Invitation Tournament game against Loyola-Chicago. The Wildcats were favored by 10 points going into that game, but lost 67-56. At that time, teams were allowed to participate in both the NCAA and NIT tournaments. The Southeastern Conference barred Kentucky from conference play that season.

Shortly thereafter, an NCAA investigation turned up circumstantial evidence that suggested that players were being paid to play. As a result, following immense pressure from other institutions, some of which even threatened to secede from the the NCAA altogether, the NCAA placed Kentucky's entire athletic program on probation for the 1952-53 school year and barred all of the school's teams from postseason play. Also, NCAA executive director Walter Byers pressured the NCAA's basketball-playing members into not scheduling Kentucky—effectively canceling the Wildcats' season.[1] The Wildcats were reduced to using brand-new Memorial Coliseum for intrasquad games.

Death penalty (NCAA) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The 1952-53 season was the only year they didn't play, although the first few years they only played a handful of games.

Congrats Ramy, your 2000 wins were mostly acculated by:

a racist
a drunk
a cheater
...and the squid just to add on.

:D

Watchable games tonight:

7:00 PM Michigan St-Texas ESPN 2
7:00 PM Marshall-North Carolina FS South, NESN
9:00 PM California-Kansas ESPN 2
11:00 PM Texas A&M-Washington Fox Sports Net

Enjoy!

Sandra

Looking at UNC's schedule, they are entitled to a few cupcakes here and there.

One of them has a personal connection with me- Evansville.

James Haarsma, the guy who Hansbrough shot over to set the school scoring record, is a former boyfriend of my sister.

Like Kentucky doesn't play cupcakes. We've played the toughest schedule in the country so far.

I didn't mean they aren't allowed to play cupcakes. I was just saying how is that a watchable game and the Kentucky vs. Drexel game wasn't when Kentucky was going for HISTORY! :D

OK, you guys are making me a little nervous...are you paying attention out there? :)

Is Marshall ready to go to the final four or something? Of course not. But they came into the game 7-1, and while they haven't beaten anybody good, their only loss is to a formidable Old Dominion team, AT Old Dominion, 70-62. Yes, that's the same Old Dominion team the went into Georgetown last weekend and beat them by four.

So are five of us going to beat Marshall? I think not. Notre Dame is a football school too, but we really should not be taking the court with them either. ;)

That said, I call violation...it's very easy to say a game wasn't watchable AFTER it's over!!! Anyone can look at the scores from the prior night and say what the best games were to watch, but that's really not going to help anyone, is it? :)

Regarding Drexel, I didn't know Kentucky was going for some kind of record or something, I don't pay attention to that stuff. Heck, when someone here posted a list, I was shocked to see St. John's is #7 all-time in wins!

On to the next one...

Sandra

The 1952-53 season was the only year they didn't play, although the first few years they only played a handful of games.

The next season,1953-54 UK went undefeated at 25-0. But didn't play in the NCAA Tournament because 5th year seniors were not allowed to play in the tournament. UK's three best players were 5th year seniors. Adolph Rupp said he wasn't going to allow a bunch of "turds" to mess up a perfect record. So they didn't play in the tourney.

BTW, UK plays Long Beach State at 1 pm today and is a very watchable game for me. :D

OK, you guys are making me a little nervous...are you paying attention out there? :)

Is Marshall ready to go to the final four or something? Of course not. But they came into the game 7-1, and while they haven't beaten anybody good, their only loss is to a formidable Old Dominion team, AT Old Dominion, 70-62. Yes, that's the same Old Dominion team the went into Georgetown last weekend and beat them by four.

So are five of us going to beat Marshall? I think not. Notre Dame is a football school too, but we really should not be taking the court with them either. ;)

That said, I call violation...it's very easy to say a game wasn't watchable AFTER it's over!!! Anyone can look at the scores from the prior night and say what the best games were to watch, but that's really not going to help anyone, is it? :)

Regarding Drexel, I didn't know Kentucky was going for some kind of record or something, I don't pay attention to that stuff. Heck, when someone here posted a list, I was shocked to see St. John's is #7 all-time in wins!

On to the next one...

Sandra

I didn't watch the game and did not know the score before I even posted that message.

LSU's Tiger Stadium to Feature Purple Field Turf in '10

Tiger Woods Will Play Masters

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)