NCAA College Basketball 2009-10 Season

So that allows Pitino to flip Roy off when Roy has started second stringers in the second half. Kentucky was 14-14 that year and under Pitino would build to a National Championship. That doesn't excuse his behavior during that game, which Kentucky fans mistakenly blame Roy for.

He played his starters in the second half. They may not have started the half but they did play. I don't know about the flip off, I didn't see it or ever even hear about it to be honest.

He played his starters in the second half. They may not have started the half but they did play. I don't know about the flip off, I didn't see it or ever even hear about it to be honest.

I have never heard that about the flip off and I was living in Lexington at that time. I do know they had some words during the game. Also Pitino kept the press on the entire game although Kansas was blitzing through it. UK got revenge the next season and beat Kansas by about 20 in Rupp Arena. :)

The entire nation knows about John Wall now. He is something special.

Watchable games tonight:

7:00 PM Butler-Georgetown ESPN
8:30 PM Vanderbilt-Illinois Big Ten Network
9:00 PM Xavier-Kansas St ESPN U
10:00 PM Arizona St-BYU MTN

Yes I know which game I'm leaving out...these are better. ;)

Sandra

I have never heard that about the flip off and I was living in Lexington at that time. I do know they had some words during the game. Also Pitino kept the press on the entire game although Kansas was blitzing through it. UK got revenge the next season and beat Kansas by about 20 in Rupp Arena. :)

The entire nation knows about John Wall now. He is something special.

From Wikipedia:

"On December 9, 1989, AP #2 Kansas beat Kentucky 150-95 in Allen Fieldhouse. Kansas started the game hot and was in obvious control prior to halftime; Kentucky's Rick Pitino used all of his team's six timeouts before the half ended. After the break, Kansas coach Roy Williams started the second rotation players and subbed in the remaining players on the roster often, leaving the starting five players on the bench. When Pitino continued to have his first-string players use a full-court pressure defense against the Kansas back-ups, Williams (reportedly following an obscene gesture made by Pitino), called a timeout and told his team that the starting five players would be going back into the game and that they were to run up the score as high as possible. Two technical fouls were called on Pitino, the first for throwing a towel onto the court, the second for arguing a call with an official. Following the game, Pitino told the assembled media that he would never schedule Kansas again. The 150 points scored by the Jayhawks set the school record for most points scored in a game, and the team's 80 first-half points set the record for most points scored in a half.".D

This discussion has me thinking about basketball coaching trees. What do Adolph Rupp, Dean Smith, and Ralph Miller all have in common (other than they were great coaches)? All were Kansas natives and all played for Phog Allen at Kansas.:D

From Wikipedia:

"On December 9, 1989, AP #2 Kansas beat Kentucky 150-95 in Allen Fieldhouse. Kansas started the game hot and was in obvious control prior to halftime; Kentucky's Rick Pitino used all of his team's six timeouts before the half ended. After the break, Kansas coach Roy Williams started the second rotation players and subbed in the remaining players on the roster often, leaving the starting five players on the bench. When Pitino continued to have his first-string players use a full-court pressure defense against the Kansas back-ups, Williams (reportedly following an obscene gesture made by Pitino), called a timeout and told his team that the starting five players would be going back into the game and that they were to run up the score as high as possible. Two technical fouls were called on Pitino, the first for throwing a towel onto the court, the second for arguing a call with an official. Following the game, Pitino told the assembled media that he would never schedule Kansas again. The 150 points scored by the Jayhawks set the school record for most points scored in a game, and the team's 80 first-half points set the record for most points scored in a half.".D
Why would Pitino keep pressing? If you don't want to get humiliated don't press. Sounds like he got what he had coming to him, and it's really not a good idea to piss off Ol Roy. :D

John Calipari and Bill Self were both assistants under Larry Brown while at Kansas. Larry Brown (the greatest living on court coach), as Roy Williams after him, were recommender by Dean Smith. :D

Why would Pitino keep pressing? If you don't want to get humiliated don't press. Sounds like he got what he had coming to him, and it's really not a good idea to piss off Ol Roy. :D

This was Pitino's first season at UK and IIRC he said that he wanted to establish the style he wanted to use at UK. That was the full court pressure style defense which was his trademark at the time even if meant getting beat. He probably should have pulled it back but it really doesn't matter if you get beat by 50 or 20 at that point. WIKI isn't the most credible source so I still don't know about the finger incident but it could have happened. I just have never heard that before. Like I said earlier UK got their revenge the next season and beat Kansas pretty good in Rupp.

This was Pitino's first season at UK and IIRC he said that he wanted to establish the style he wanted to use at UK. That was the full court pressure style defense which was his trademark at the time even if meant getting beat. He probably should have pulled it back but it really doesn't matter if you get beat by 50 or 20 at that point. WIKI isn't the most credible source so I still don't know about the finger incident but it could have happened. I just have never heard that before. Like I said earlier UK got their revenge the next season and beat Kansas pretty good in Rupp.

There is an excellent article from Wildcat Nation about that game with comments from Pitino immediately after the game. No mention of any obscene gestures. It was mentioned that he would win big or lose big after beating a team by 20 or 30. Both he and Williams said that with his style of play, opposing teams couldn't let up. Pitino said he probably should have let up. If you look at the box score Kansas had 10 players playing between 15 and 28 minutes. This was a year after going 19-12 so I doubt that Kansas bench was that experienced. If anything, I'm suprised he started his second team to start the second half. To whit: Kansas was behind Calipari's Memphis squad by 19 in the second half, Calipari didn't ease up. Roy was behind by about 19, last week against Calipari and Kentucky didn't ease up.:D

I hereby nominate you for the diplomacy award for 2009.

As has been pointed out often in the past, wiki entries are where loads of urban legends end up and take on a life, until they are finally edited out by some other anonymous source.

Williams was asked Friday about KU's 150-95 victory over Pitino's UK team on Dec. 9, 1989, in Allen Fieldhouse. That was the game in which Pitino flashed Williams an obscene gesture late in the game when Williams asked Pitino if he wanted him to call timeout to help Pitino's short-handed team take a breather.

Of the obscene gesture, Williams said: "Rick and I have talked about that. It was unfortunate things and probably my fault more than anybody's, but we've had discussions many years ago about that and put it behind us. We've played golf together. He was the first guy that got me on Shadow Creek in Vegas, so I owe him one big-time because I haven't been able to do anything like that for him. But when we played out there it was me and Rick and Gene Keady and Nolan Richardson and, I have zero, zero problems with Rick. The only thing I have for Rick is a great deal of respect, and I mean that sincerely."

Kansas basketball notebook | KUsports.com

Watchable games tonight:

7:00 PM Duquesne-West Virginia FS Pittsburgh, MASN, Altitide, ESPN Full Court
9:30 PM Kentucky-Connecticut ESPN

Enjoy!

Sandra

Pitino used to hang out at Barsies back when my friend Ed owned it in the early 1970s. The UMass basketball team of that era included Pitino, Julius Erving, Mike Flanagan (Orioles pitcher) and Al Skinner, who has coached lots of places. Pitino is reputed to have been quite the lady's man in those days. And of course, Pitino was the key man in persuading UMass to give John Calipari his first head coaching job.

UConn's getting dealt with by Kentucky. 12-0 start and Calhoun's already burned 2 TO's.

EDIT: UConn's come back to tie it at 16. This is turning into a good game.

Last edited:
UConn's getting dealt with by Kentucky. 12-0 start and Calhoun's already burned 2 TO's.

EDIT: UConn's come back to tie it at 16. This is turning into a good game.

Kentucky 32, UConn 35, with 14:17 remaining.

All I saw in the first half was serious bricklaying and "Ole'", matador defense.

This game is a grudge match, because Calipari somehow plucked Marcus Camby away from Calhoun back in 1993, when Connecticutt was the more powerful program. Even back then, the cynical remarks about Calipari's checkered or clouded past were beginning to surface.

Color me shocked to see Kentucky 9-0 this year. Sorry Hancox but the UK train is on a roll.

I watched the Kansas KY game that day KY did take a ass whipping and yes Pinto did give Ole Roy the bird. Roy is a great coach and N.C is thankful he is, before Roy and after Dean things got pretty low just as KY after Pinto Ole cup cake Tubby was the wrong man as was Clyde. BUT BABY WHERE BACK Calipari style. Another one bites the dust KY 64 UCONN 61

LSU's Tiger Stadium to Feature Purple Field Turf in '10

Tiger Woods Will Play Masters

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts