NCAA College Basketball 2009-10 Season

So....Anybody gonna make an issue about The 'Cuses' "exihibition" loss now??!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

87-71 pasting of UNC.....!
For the record I never got on Syracuse for that. Man those guys are good. I knew Carolina would take their lumps against some of the teams we play early on and they did, but I was impressed with the Orange. I can't believe Syracuse was picked 6th in the BE. If there's 5 better teams than that in the BE they may as well join the NBA.

For the record I never got on Syracuse for that. Man those guys are good. I knew Carolina would take their lumps against some of the teams we play early on and they did, but I was impressed with the Orange. I can't believe Syracuse was picked 6th in the BE. If there's 5 better teams than that in the BE they may as well join the NBA.

While I think the Cuse is better than 6th in the BE, there are some teams in the BE that are flat out awesome. I think we may have a repeat of 4 of the Elite 8 being from the BE and 3 of Final 4 being from BE again this year. In "Jeff Sagarin's NCAA basketball ratings", (as of Friday morning) he has 8 of the top 25 teams from the BE. That is going to be one tough league to play in this year, that is for sure.

Was not you Anders.....some folks made issues about the 'Cuse losing an exhibition game, which means as much as pre-season game in the NFL, NBA and MLB....to be a big deal. :confused:

The 'Cuse zone has sooo many different looks sometimes that it can be IMPOSSIBLE to figure out....ESPECIALLY when you are talking about early games in November. It's like in the pre-season/early season in most pro leagues, the defense will more than likely always be ahead of the offense.

Personally, this could be the most complete team the 'Cuse has had since their championship season. Barring any injuries, grades and conduct...there is NO REASON this team cannout make the Elite 8...they are THAT good.

While I think the Cuse is better than 6th in the BE, there are some teams in the BE that are flat out awesome. I think we may have a repeat of 4 of the Elite 8 being from the BE and 3 of Final 4 being from BE again this year. In "Jeff Sagarin's NCAA basketball ratings", (as of Friday morning) he has 8 of the top 25 teams from the BE. That is going to be one tough league to play in this year, that is for sure.

The scary part of so many good teams coming from 1 conference is that they sometimes end up destroying each other....with nothing left for the NCAA tournament.

Was not you Anders.....some folks made issues about the 'Cuse losing an exhibition game, which means as much as pre-season game in the NFL, NBA and MLB....to be a big deal. :confused:

The 'Cuse zone has sooo many different looks sometimes that it can be IMPOSSIBLE to figure out....ESPECIALLY when you are talking about early games in November. It's like in the pre-season/early season in most pro leagues, the defense will more than likely always be ahead of the offense.

Personally, this could be the most complete team the 'Cuse has had since their championship season. Barring any injuries, grades and conduct...there is NO REASON this team cannout make the Elite 8...they are THAT good.

Yeah, it was me. They have redemmed themselves now though. Good job Orange. Always good when the Heels lose. :D

Their zone was good. In the past Syracuse would just stand around in the 2-3 zone and make it kind of easy to find the open areas, but not last night. They will make life tough on a lot of people. And that transfer they got Wesley Johnson, he was awesome. I didn't know they had anyone like that.

Their zone was good. In the past Syracuse would just stand around in the 2-3 zone and make it kind of easy to find the open areas, but not last night. They will make life tough on a lot of people. And that transfer they got Wesley Johnson, he was awesome. I didn't know they had anyone like that.

With The 'Cuses zone...it can ber very sufficating and you better have a long range shooter AND an inside presense if you wanna win....because IF you only have one....your done! And that one BETTER be a long range shooter because if is not...your gonna get blown out!

Their zone was good. In the past Syracuse would just stand around in the 2-3 zone and make it kind of easy to find the open areas, but not last night.

OK a number of years ago I actually watched a Jim Boeheim zone defense coaching tape with my brother, who was trying to teach his AAU team the Syracuse zone. It was never predicated on standing around, the idea is constant motion and cutting off options.

The basic premise is when the ball first crosses mid court, the two guys up top do not allow anything between them. No penetration or pass to a big at the foul line. They are told to hold hands if they have to.

The ball thereby is forced to the wing, where the defender down low on that side immediately jumps out to meet the man with the ball...no matter how far away from the bakset he has to go. The defender up top then slides over to that same wing, and when he gets there the lower defender then slides back toward his normal position down low.

The top defender from the weak side then comes all the way over to block a pass from the wing to the elbow, and the defender in the middle down low is responsible for any pass into the low post.

The idea is to cut off all options except to get the ball back to the top of the key. The defender down low on the weak side is responsible for rebounding, of course, if the wing gets off a shot, but more importantly if the pass does go back to the top of the key, he is responsible to get out to the wing on his side right away if the ball is reversed quickly.

The zone is most vulnerable to high screens, or to a quick pass from the top to the wing to the corner...the deep corner for a quick three or the short corner, which engages the middle defender down low and hopefully opens the lane for a cutter to the basket.

This is easily said than done, however. For Syracuse's sake it is very important that the two lower outside defenders have length, to stop those quick passes from the wing to the corner. It's also important for them to get out to the wing very quickly.

Boeheim's players go through endless shell drills in practice to learn this defense, which leads to things like an exhibition loss, when the team is still learning and not executing it properly. It also leads to a victory over a Carolina, who after a quick turnaround after beating Ohio State is not quite prepared for a zone like that, which is unlike most others.

Sandra

Last edited:
It was never predicated on standing around, the idea is constant motion and cutting off options.
I know it's not predicated on standing around, but that's what Syracuse, and other teams that play zone, often do. Zone defense is often a lazy way of playing defense and it shows, particularily when the opposing team hits 20 3 point shots against it. Syracuse though was very aggresive in the zone, and when that happens it is tough to face.

I know it's not predicated on standing around, but that's what Syracuse, and other teams that play zone, often do. Zone defense is often a lazy way of playing defense and it shows, particularily when the opposing team hits 20 3 point shots against it. Syracuse though was very aggresive in the zone, and when that happens it is tough to face.

Read the above...it explains in great detail why their zone is more aggressive than other teams' zones, and tough to face...especially early in the year. ;)

Sandra

Watchable games tonight:

8:30 PM Purdue-Tennessee FSN Paradise Jam championship
12:00 AM Arizona-Wisconsin ESPN 2 Maui Invitational first round

Sandra

Did anyone stay up late to watch Arizona-Wisconsin in the Maui Invitational? I did...and I wish I didn't. What a terrible game.

Arizona is not a good team at this point of the season. Nic Wise is a good player, but too often he and the rest of his teammates put their head down and go one-on-five, playground style. It's ugly.

There is rarely more than one pass on each possession, and I don't mean that in a Phoenix Suns-kind of way, where they all hustle up-court and Nash finds someone open before the defense gets set. I mean in a 'give me the rock I'm going to the hole' kind of way.

Wisconsin was a little more under control...but not much. They do have a big guy Keaton Navilik (or something like that) who is very good but was in foul trouble. Their point guard is very good too, but his name escapes me after so little sleep.

Actually, everyone from both teams was in foul trouble. It was ridiculous, there was a foul called every ten seconds. No flow whatsoever. Four minutes into the second half Arizona had made a total of something like three field goals...for the GAME! But they were only down something like 38-34 because of so many fouls, and Wisconsin's inability to capitalize. Wisconsin was in the 1 and 1 three minutes into the second half.

The only thing that made it watchable was the announcing team of Sean McDonough, Jay Bilas and Bill Raftery.

Sean Miller has a lot of work to do in Arizona, but the Pac-10 looks to be down, so he has time.

Sandra

Did anyone stay up late to watch Arizona-Wisconsin in the Maui Invitational? I did...and I wish I didn't. What a terrible game.

Arizona is not a good team at this point of the season. Nic Wise is a good player, but too often he and the rest of his teammates put their head down and go one-on-five, playground style. It's ugly.

There is rarely more than one pass on each possession, and I don't mean that in a Phoenix Suns-kind of way, where they all hustle up-court and Nash finds someone open before the defense gets set. I mean in a 'give me the rock I'm going to the hole' kind of way.

Wisconsin was a little more under control...but not much. They do have a big guy Keaton Navilik (or something like that) who is very good but was in foul trouble. Their point guard is very good too, but his name escapes me after so little sleep.

Actually, everyone from both teams was in foul trouble. It was ridiculous, there was a foul called every ten seconds. No flow whatsoever. Four minutes into the second half Arizona had made a total of something like three field goals...for the GAME! But they were only down something like 38-34 because of so many fouls, and Wisconsin's inability to capitalize. Wisconsin was in the 1 and 1 three minutes into the second half.

The only thing that made it watchable was the announcing team of Sean McDonough, Jay Bilas and Bill Raftery.

Sean Miller has a lot of work to do in Arizona, but the Pac-10 looks to be down, so he has time.

Sandra
I saw part of this game. Wisconsin may be the whitest team in the country, although Iowa and dook would dispute that. I think Bo Ryan just recruits guys with funny sounding names. Wisconsin has a guy named Breuserwitz. For real. That just sounds like a guy who will throw some elbows. Seriously they look like team from Hoosiers.

LSU's Tiger Stadium to Feature Purple Field Turf in '10

Tiger Woods Will Play Masters

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)