The "normal" channels??

aychamo

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 3, 2004
When will Voom carry the basic channels, such as NBC, CBS, ABC, WB, or FOX?

I've seen them on other satelite TV systems..

What a can of worms this topic is. SO who is going to explain the Tony Soprano network affliliate business model to this guy?

aychamo:
As Sean pointed out those channels are not available from the satellite, but (depending in your area) you may get them via the VOOM-installed OTA antenna and they are integrated into your PG. What's your status? do you currently subscribe to VOOM?

babyj said:
sorry i never had Dish before...but how do they do the whole local channels thing? my neighbour seems to have 2 dishes

D* and E* get SD local channels which look like crap beaten up a few times. I mean if you want compression artifacts on those local SD channels then you can have it with E* and D*. They also carry CBS-HD only on 30% of their market. CBS-HD is ONLY available to O&O of CBS. This is why OTA Digital Locals (if you can get them) will always beat whatever you can get from satellite.

I may ask put that signal on a 60" screen monitor and you will see all the compression artifact in its glory. You will give that signal an F- after watching it.

They Are Better Then My OTA SD. Of Course They Are Not As Good As MY OTA HD.
The Locals on D* Are Only As Good Of A Feed The The Local Station Provides To D* Or E*.
My TVs
36" RCA Digital
27" Panasonic S-Video
78" Front PJ
87" Front PJ

wbuffetta said:
They Are Better Then My OTA SD. Of Course They Are Not As Good As MY OTA HD.
The Locals on D* Are Only As Good Of A Feed The The Local Station Provides To D* Or E*.
My TVs
36" RCA Digital
27" Panasonic S-Video
78" Front PJ
87" Front PJ

Then you are lucky if they are as good as OTA SD. My SD locals here stinks with Dish Network. Compression artifacts are very noticeable and they are not as sharp; you can se halos and it is very disturbing. OTA SD on the other hand, is quite good and no compression artifacts and no halos even though most of OTA SD are multicasting.

I got locals from D* for awhile before I discovered digital OTA. At one point I even accused them of beaming me analog they were so bad. LMAO!!!! If you have good affiliates OTA will blow them out of the water. There simply is no better product than full bandwidth OTA if you can get it. Even if your affialiate has a sub channel it will still beat D* locals. On the HD end things get bad when a network has several subchannels, in my case that is PBS, everyone else is outstanding here.

Sean Mota said:
D* and E* get SD local channels which look like crap beaten up a few times. I mean if you want compression artifacts on those local SD channels then you can have it with E* and D*. They also carry CBS-HD only on 30% of their market. CBS-HD is ONLY available to O&O of CBS. This is why OTA Digital Locals (if you can get them) will always beat whatever you can get from satellite.
Or if you live in the boonies past the grade B contour of the affiliate.

wbuffetta said:
They Are Better Then My OTA SD.
thats strange. With SD and HD OTA if you get a picture its perfect. There is no noise etc like analog. You either get it or you dont. And since D* gets the channel from your affiliate probably by sat and then throws it up on theirs compressed further, I find it even stranger that it could look better than OTA.

HDNET/Reagan funeral

VOOM High Definition TV DAILY Listing ALERTS!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)