Splitting signal for my room

U

Unregistered

Original poster
Hello, I have Dish Network here and theres currently 2 receivers, one in the living room and one in my parents room. I would like to get satellite in my room as well but don't know what my options are. I know I could always call Dish Network and pay a nice monthly fee but don't really wanna go that route. I was thinkin about putting a 2 way splitter on the rg6 cable thats goin to the livin room receiver and runnin a 100 foot stretch into my room. Now is it possible to purchase a used receiver say on e-bay and hook up the 100ft from the living room to my receiver and just swap out the card when I want to watch somethin in my room. With this method I know I would only be able to use 1 or the other at a time, thats not a problem. Soo I guess thats the only way I can think of gettin satellite in my room, if there is another method please let me know. Have a good nite/day

-Shane

Swapping out the card will not work. Splitting the cable will not work. If you list what equipment you have, including what lnb you have, you will get a good answer/suggestion from one of the experts.

You can run the RF output of the receiver back to your room. If the receiver has an UHF remote you will be fixed up.

alright sorry for bein such a noob but i dont really understand. Alright so I get 100 feet of rg-58 coax cable and hook it up to the receivers output and run it into my room? So that means I would have to change the channels from the living room and then walk back to my room or what? Kinda confused here, go ahead point and laugh all you wish!

holtzboy said:
So that means I would have to change the channels from the living room and then walk back to my room or what? Kinda confused here, go ahead point and laugh all you wish!
That's why you need an UHF remote on IR repeater - they will allow you to switch channels from another room.

alright so the 100 foot cable comin from the Echostar DISHPVR501 receiver will connect to a ir repeater placed in my room, and that will connect to my tv and i will be able change channels, as long as its a UHF remote ? sorry again im new to all of this and have been searchin for faqs and info on google but not finding much to my helping.

Well, not quite. Here's how it works.

The IR repeater transmitter unit converts any ordinary IR remote's signals to UHF and sends it to the IR repeaters receiver unit, which is "near" the 501. You point your standard 501 remote at the IR transmitter which is usually sitting on the TV - it's just "natural" that way. :)

BTW, I use this exact setup all the time - well except now my 501 is mothballed and it's a 921 - but I still use the old 501 remote! Works great!

RG-6 cable from TV room to office - total run about 85'. IR sender in office, and receiver sits on top of the 921 (straight line run of about 60 feet through 2 walls) - apparently it's strong enough to bounce it's IR off the walls and back to the 921 sitting under it. :)

The IR repeater units are available lots of places - maybe even Wal-Mart, but certainly Radio Shack. IIRC, expect to spend around $50 on it.

If he has a 501 receiver he should already have a UHF remote and he can already change channels in his room without the repeater? All he has to do is take the remote to his room :)

Thinking of trying Dish Networks...

Lets go ahead and get the ball rolling here...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)