Looks like It’s official Directv Buying Dish

Right.

Dish is KU .
Most of Directv is KA.
That’s largely a function of having updated LNBAs to block convert to a identical frequency range for a common receiver.

But after that there are other minor differences to take into account: channel bandwidth considerations, channel order, possible data encoding scheme differences, etc. I could easily see a future updated common Hopper used with both services with the only difference being the LNBA, the dish, and pointing. The rest of the whole Joey/MOCA system would stay the same.

However, with the DIRECTV satellites possibly aging out, perhaps there won’t be any need. Ultimately I think it’s mostly a matter of what is the cheapest path.

Cubs fans in Illinois would be DAMN glad to have it back
New Chicago RSN carrying Bulls, Sox, Blackhawks. No deal yet with providers, so broadcasting free offair. Says wants to return to the days of free sports. Wonder if they'll give the signal free to providers...Chicago Sports Network launched same time NBC Sports Chicago went dark.
I think one way to get Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile is with USMobile as I believe you can switch 8 times a month in real-time for free to test them out and you get a month for free anyways.

I use one of the low-cost providers, Twigby. Uses Verizon network. 4 bars @home, never any issues traveling.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Who uses channel numbers? Really? I just pick from the guide (My Favorites).

I couldn’t tell you what channel number the History Channel, etc, is/are on.

I doubt many people are pressing in channel numbers.
Soooo ... you use the guide .

I use the guide as well, but if I know what I want to watch, i'll use the numbers and go to it quicker that way.

With Streaming not having a Guide, it makes it ... well. inconvenient.

Sounds like a lot of DISH's debt.

IF Echostar is still owning and running the satellites that used to part of DISH's service, then they are also the ones that uplink the channels for the DISH service and the local channels too.

If Echostar is also providing the receivers and I bet the lnbs, switches, sat dishes too. It sounds like the only thing that changed was the owner of the service on paper and who is running it at the ownership level TPG.

I take it that TPG is having to pay a monthly fee for Echostar service to provide the satellites, manage the channels video /audio quality and all the local channels too.

The more I think of it the less it sounds like a merger, since everything that makes it a service is still being provided by Echostar. Maybe this deal that Charlie and the guy who was in control at DIRECTV and ATT was to spin off all the debt they could to ATT and the deal with TPG was to keep DISH 's debt payment on time for November and to get DISH and ATT out of the day to day running of the satellite business. But it doesn't really sound like Echostar is out of the business at all. Without them there would be no business.

Maybe Scott is right and Charlie will come back in a year or two and reclaim the entire business from TPG once Boost is up and running well. After all it sounds like everything that makes the DISH side run, is still being owned and run by Echostar the original company that created DISH. Shouldn't be that hard for Charlie to swoop right back in and claim it all when he is ready. A merger he wanted in 2002 would finally be his.
TPG is getting Dish's debt not AT&T. Remember AT&T sold their 70% stake to TPG.

Soooo ... you use the guide .

I use the guide as well, but if I know what I want to watch, i'll use the numbers and go to it quicker that way.

With Streaming not having a Guide, it makes it ... well. inconvenient.
DTV's APP and the other live TV streaming services do have a guide. You can't just go to the individual channel on the guide.

New Chicago RSN carrying Bulls, Sox, Blackhawks. No deal yet with providers, so broadcasting free offair. Says wants to return to the days of free sports. Wonder if they'll give the signal free to providers...Chicago Sports Network launched same time NBC Sports Chicago went dark.
Chicago Sports RSN took the place of NBC Sports Chicago on channels 665 and 665-1 on DIRECTV.

TPG is getting Dish's debt not AT&T. Remember AT&T sold their 70% stake to TPG.
I remember the debt was spun off onto DIRECTV ( ATT) then they sold their majority 70% control to TPG for like $7 billion. ATT lost like $30 billion from the $57 billion they paid for Directv back when they first bought it in 2015. Also TPG then gave DISH the $2 billion it needs to pay off it's debt payment in November. I think that will be a loan that Charlie will have to pay back eventually. There was a certain order that made it all work.

Do you even play? I ask because we all say that too but I am too cheap to waste my money on gambling. I call it the "Stupid TAX" because it seems only the people that are barely making it financially play lottery.

We had a poor black cleaning woman named Sharon on the site I last worked at back in 2021 and she would waste $20.00 a week on lottery tickets and barely ever win anything. She complained about how hard it was to pay for everything and she took out pay day loans every month that costed her finance charges on top of it. I told her this is why you are broke all the time. She said: "Oh no, winning the lottery is my retirement someday." Needless to say she is till working at her low paid job, because she can't afford to retire. She was like in her 70s. She never saved any money during life and placed most of it on finance charges and lottery tickets.
Instead of buying lottery tickets ,if one invested $20 a week into a Dow Jones index fund 40 years ago, they would have $217,453.68 today using actual historical results. They could then start drawing about $14,500 a year income without touching the principle. I taught this to my students every year and I doubt anyone but me and my wife actually did it.

Instead of buying lottery tickets ,if one invested $20 a week into a Dow Jones index fund 40 years ago, they would have $217,453.68 today using actual historical results. They could then start drawing about $14,500 a year income without touching the principle. I taught this to my students every year and I doubt anyone but me and my wife actually did it.
I always have said that the lottery is a tax on people who don’t know math. I’m an aerospace engineer, so I’m pretty good at math…

Since I DVR everything, channel numbers mean nothing to me. Even the EPG is of limited use

Dish 4K Event Listings (No Discussion)