Signal Protector

I hear ya on the DVR fees. For about six years we had four 722s and the bill was over $200 a month. Finally got the bill down some when we switched to the HWSs in 2013.
Just curious, how much is your DISH bill? Mines is $190 with the protection plan with only a 1 Hopper 3 with Hopper Plus setup which consists of America's Top 250, Local Channels, Hong Kong Jade Cantonese package $29.99 and we only watch what's in the $29.99 whether live or DVR as that's what we also record. America's Top 250 is more if there is the rare chance we wanted to watch something else.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Because the storage capacity would be limited, you can't add external HDDs for example and the other thing is it will have internet bandwidth costs as it will no longer have a dedicated pipe for the tv feed which means if the internet failed, so would the tv service. Currently, having a internet connection is not a requirement to view TV. Internet bandwidth may not be fast enough as it depends a lot on the routing on where it peers and if there is congestion latency on the many networks it connects through. All someone needs to do is send a DDoS attack on one or more networks between you and DISH and you will not have a usable internet service. or a Fiber Cut so basically any internet issue will also not allow you to watch tv as everything depends on that internet connection instead of the tv and internet each having dedicated individual connections. Some people may not be able to get Internet Service that meets the minimal requirements and some people have internet connections that are capped meaning a limited amount of data is included in what they pay before they have to pay additional for excess data to name a few things.
They could of offered this in addition to the satellite version. Then as people left satellite they could have the same experience with the streaming version sans the fees associated with satellite and receiver fees etc.

Just curious, how much is your DISH bill? Mines is $190 with the protection plan with only a 1 Hopper 3 with Hopper Plus setup which consists of America's Top 250, Local Channels, Hong Kong Jade Cantonese package $29.99 and we only watch what's in the $29.99 whether live or DVR as that's what we also record. America's Top 250 is more if there is the rare chance we wanted to watch something else.
My Dish bill is $168 and getting ready to go up $10 because of two savings getting ready to drop off. I have the following equipment:

Hopper Plus
Hopper 3
Two Joey 4s
Two Wireless Joey 4s

Attachments

• 20240613_131129.jpg
    20240613_131129.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 38
They could of offered this in addition to the satellite version. Then as people left satellite they could have the same experience with the streaming version sans the fees associated with satellite and receiver fees etc.
Ofcourse, they could offer one with the satellite and one without the satellite at a cheaper price than the satellite version. I suppose they could like Comcast have a on-demand DVR.

Is this delay due to the H3? If I bypassed the H3 and streamed that movie directly from TCM, would that delay still be there?
Yes because the internet is not direct path from point A to point B. If you stream anywhere, it buffers first before playback even with youtube, it's not instant and it also needs to send the request and wait for the response from the streaming provider. It has nothing to do with the H3.

Read this discussion as it explains it better:

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/zphxoo/eli5_why_is_there_a_delay_when_streaming_compared/

My Dish bill is $168 and getting ready to go up $10 because of two savings getting ready to drop off. I have the following equipment:

Hopper Plus
Hopper 3
Two Joey 4s
Two Wireless Joey 4s
$178 is still cheaper that what I am paying without all that equipment, you have the 2 J4's and 2 WJ4's but you may be on a lower package.

Yes, I am on a lower package than yours.
You also have a auto bill pay discount. I get 5% cashback from the credit card and also the $1.00 payment each from 10 different credit cards credits the full $1.00 to send the card back to a $0.00 balance so it's 5% on the $180 or so after the $10.00 is free money while still earning rewards.

Dish Letter for outdated equipment

Hopper 3 Software H375