NCAA Football 2009-10 Season

Interesting Mock BCS standings..

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?page=roadtobcs/0901"]BCS standings preview leaves Texas trailing three teams - ESPN[/ame]

Of course this saturday with the red river shootout the standings obviously would change.

So if Texas does lose. Who plays the winner of Alabama vs FLA (assuming either will only have 1 loss after that match)

Does a 1 loss VTech who will likely take #3 if texas loses get in over a 1 loss Alabama? I mean bama beat VTech.. Thats about the only way I see an all SEC national title game. If FLA beats bama, and Texas loses. There is also an undefeated Boise State team (Who may run the tables, no one really on their schedule left cept maybe idaho) What about the other one loss teams. Miami, USC, Ohio State, Or a possible undefeated Big Ten Team in Iowa?

Can I start the "we need a play offs" thread? I mean there are easily 8 teams there that if things ended today even with a few of them losing once, deserve a title shot.

Personally I hope Texas runs the tables, id love to watch an undefeated Texas go up against an Undefeated FLA. (shut those big 12 fans up for good, specially the ones who complained when FLA beat OK last year that "The best team in the big12 didnt get to play") If FLA does lose to Alabama (which is likely Alabama is scary) Id still like to see that big12 vs SEC matchup. Ya know the longhorns will drown in the tide. If the Tide dont get them, the gators will catch them crossing.

Looking at the current top 4 and seeing their remaining games, I think Texas has the toughest bout left to finish without a loss. (Taking away the fact that FLA or BAMA will be guranteed at least one loss)

They play Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas and more then likely Nebraska in the Big12 Title game. (A very good Nebraska team).

Virginia Tech has a big game this saturday vs GaTech, but other then that they should be able to run the tables to only the one loss if they can get by GaTech.

Alabama has to face the old ball coach this weekend, A pissed off LSU Team, and the big rivalary against a decent Auburn team.

Florida, has the bulldogs (there defense sucks this year so it may not be that hard to do. But in rivalries ya never know. just a couple years ago they almost ruined FLAs title chances when they kicked our ass), We have the old ball coach with a good S Carolina team, and of course the end of the year Rivalary match against FSU (A very sporatic FSU. Play like superstars one week and high school team the next)

It matters a lot to the kids of Iowa I am sure. And watching some OSU posters on this board it also matters a lot.

Also it does matter. Its a lot harder to go from #11 to #3/4/5/6 etc in November/Devember then it is to get from 6/7 to 3/4/5 etc. The sooner the move up the farther they can go.

Yup.

Does it matter ?
Insider,
Would it matter to you if Fla was # 11 vs # 1 ?
Of course it does.
Like you said, it's easier to move up from 7-8 to 1-2 or even top 5 than it is from outside the top 10

Why not have both, works in Basketball, and only adds 1 week to a 4 game (16 team) playoff.

If you have a 16 team playoff, chances are good both teams in the conference championship games will make it. It could turn into a 'championship' game where each team rests it's best players. Wouldn't that be fun...

Sandra

If you have a 16 team playoff, chances are good both teams in the conference championship games will make it. It could turn into a 'championship' game where each team rests it's best players. Wouldn't that be fun...
Same can be said for the conference basketball champ, but they still have very successful conference championships.

The conference championship game allows for a true champion in conferences that have too many members to play round robin.

Take the Big 10 for example. You can have two teams be undefeated. Who's the champ and gets the automatic bid?

Same can be said for the conference basketball champ, but they still have very successful conference championships.

The conference championship game allows for a true champion in conferences that have too many members to play round robin.

Take the Big 10 for example. You can have two teams be undefeated. Who's the champ and gets the automatic bid?
If the Big10 plays a round robin schedule, how can two teams go undefeated?

To me the CCGs are exciting and give teams a second chance at a conference title. It also breaks up the monotony of the same one or two dominant teams in a conference blowing everyone out year after year (Big10/Pac10). So what if it's a dollar thing? That's good for the schools in the conference, what's wrong with that? I guess if your team is the one winning the thing year after year you don't care to see that change.

OK, maybe I'm an apologist, but something is REALLY starting to bug me.

If both finish undefeated - how can you POSSIBLY put Boise St ahead of Cincy or South Florida? Seriously?

3/4 of Boise St's schedule is just hideously awful, and their best win is from week 1, and could just as easily be an outlier (especially week 1).

Both Cincy and USF will have easily better SoS, and will have played a real football team in the last 2 months.

Yup.

Does it matter ?
Insider,
Would it matter to you if Fla was # 11 vs # 1 ?
Of course it does.
Like you said, it's easier to move up from 7-8 to 1-2 or even top 5 than it is from outside the top 10

I was shockingly defending you. Saying it does matter where you are

OK, maybe I'm an apologist, but something is REALLY starting to bug me.

If both finish undefeated - how can you POSSIBLY put Boise St ahead of Cincy or South Florida? Seriously?

3/4 of Boise St's schedule is just hideously awful, and their best win is from week 1, and could just as easily be an outlier (especially week 1).

Both Cincy and USF will have easily better SoS, and will have played a real football team in the last 2 months.
I can see your point, but you just can't throw out a quality win just because it happened in week #1. Considering what Oregon has done since then, that win just grows and grows. Boise St. has no say in their in-conference schedule, and it's wrong to penalize them for that.

If the Big10 plays a round robin schedule, how can two teams go undefeated? ...
They don't, because it's really the Big-11. That's why they need to get another big-time program to join in the conference (hello Notre Dame, you're already in Big-10 basketball!), and have a CG like the other big-time conferences.

They don't, because it's really the Big-11. That's why they need to get another big-time program to join in the conference (hello Notre Dame, you're already in Big-10 basketball!), and have a CG like the other big-time conferences.
Notre Dame is Big East for everything except football.

But you are correct, the Big 10 does not play a round robin in football. Niether did the SEC before it added USC and Arkansas to create the SECCG. Neither did the Pac-10 prior to the expansion to a 12 game schedule, the expansion allowed them to go to a 9-game conference schedule (all the others have an 8 game schedule, except the Big East which has 7).
That leaves the Big 10 as the only conference that can have 2 undefeated teams.

Football is diferent from basketball...much different.

If the Big 10 has two undefeated teams I'm sure both would make it into a 16 team playoff.

Sandra

Football is diferent from basketball...much different.

If the Big 10 has two undefeated teams I'm sure both would make it into a 16 team playoff.
Probably, but why not give the conference a choice.
If it wants to have a CCG, let it. If the week off is so important than they would only hurt themselves.

As it is, the NCAA won't prohibit a CCG, because the most powerful conferences (SEC & Big 12) already have one, and would leave the NCAA if they even tried to ban it.

Sandra
That would never happen. A CCG would provide an automatic berth into a playoff, while the loser would have to hope they get an at large. Plus if you award home field advantage to the top teams, at least in the early rounds, there's an extra incentive to win the CCG. Nobody would ever throw a CCG by not playing their starters. Of course it's a moot point right now since there is no playoff, but were there one it would would not hurt the CCG, much less the regular season.

Redskins Vinnie Cerrato resigns!

Scary news for the Bengals "Chris Henry, dead at 26"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)