NCAA Football 2009-10 Season

This is why sec fans are so much better then those of the can't count conference and the usc10 conference. We don't make excuses when we lose. Even though there is a perfetly good one for that cooper td catch.
Even if you took away those points and a possible fieldgoal, LSU still wouldn't have been able to produce enough offense to win. Besides, part of the game is getting away with what you can. Cooper was pretty sneaky, but clever to do that with the ref behind him and unable to see his hands. Wish those Tiger receivers would've pulled some of that crap - or done anything for that matter.

If LSU doesn't pull a win out of their tails against Bama, I'm not sure who I'll pull for in the SECCG...the Gators because of Tebow (I'm really starting to like that kid), or Bama because of the SEC West (will be hard to make myself pull for Saban). Regardless, this shows the benefits of having a conference championship, to see who's the better team. Too bad one may get knocked out of the MNC.

Last edited:
Regardless, this shows the benefits of having a conference championship, to see who's the better team.

I have to disagree. Nothing shows who the best team is through the course of a season better than a round-robin through the conference. Of course, if the conference is too big, that isn't possible. In a conference championship game, a lesser team can rise up for a day. "Any given Sunday" or Saturday, as the case may be. CCGs are just cash machines for the conferences.

I have to disagree. Nothing shows who the best team is through the course of a season better than a round-robin through the conference. Of course, if the conference is too big, that isn't possible. In a conference championship game, a lesser team can rise up for a day. "Any given Sunday" or Saturday, as the case may be. CCGs are just cash machines for the conferences.
Spoken like a true Big10 fan. :D

Spoken like a true Big10 fan. :D

The Big Ten doesn't play a round-robin either, just eight conference games — and I fully expect they will find a way to cash in on the CCG concept some day as well. :D

I don't really like the conference tournament in basketball either. It is very exciting, but giving the auto-NCAA bid to the season champion would reward the greater accomplishment.

I never understand how anyone is against these Conference Championship games. Its the closest we get to play offs.

If Iowa wins next week against Wisconsin should they move ahead of the buckeyes in the rankings? Afterall they will be the only undefeated big ten team left. Also with a great win against Penn State, and Michigan. Ohio St is playing Perdue next week. OSU got a jump in the rankings for beating Wisconsin. Should Iowa?

OSU's next couple games are Perdue and Minn.. Both should be easy wins for OSU
Iowas next games are Wisconsin and Mich State. Should be tough games for Iowa.

I think its possible Iowa takes over the top spot for the big ten in the polls if they win these two games, even if OSU wins their two games. Then OSU has New Mexico, another easy win. While Iowa has Indiana which should be an easy win..

Then the fun starts. OSU Plays Penn State, then OSU meets Iowa..

If Iowa wins next week against Wisconsin should they move ahead of the buckeyes in the rankings? Afterall they will be the only undefeated big ten team left. Also with a great win against Penn State, and Michigan. Ohio St is playing Perdue next week. OSU got a jump in the rankings for beating Wisconsin. Should Iowa?

Does it matter who is higher ranked in mid-October? Iowa plays Ohio State in November. The winner of that game should be higher in the rankings. Until then, arguing who should be ranked higher is meaningless.

Sandra

It matters a lot to the kids of Iowa I am sure. And watching some OSU posters on this board it also matters a lot.

Also it does matter. Its a lot harder to go from #11 to #3/4/5/6 etc in November/Devember then it is to get from 6/7 to 3/4/5 etc. The sooner the move up the farther they can go.

I've got no problem with our current ranking of #7. Nor do I have a problem if we get jumped by another undefeated Big-10 team before the season is over.

Like Sandra said, it will all sort itself out. In the last 3 weeks of the year, OSU plays the following schedule:

@ Penn State
vs. Iowa
@ Michigan

Depending on how we finish out, our ranking will be adjusted and deservingly so.

It's fun watching the meltdown certain people have when their team falls one spot in the polls. :D

Actually, I don't remember Buckeye fans on here complaining about their spot in the polls. Certainly not me, I don't even know where they're ranked, nor do I care.

What I see is people lobbying for Miami and now Iowa to be ranked higher, and then there could be response.

Whatever. It will all shake out in the end...

Sandra

You must not be reading the same forum as the rest of us. Or have some people on ignore if you didnt see the Buckeye love fest and complaint show about them dropping a spot.

Actually, I don't remember Buckeye fans on here complaining about their spot in the polls. Certainly not me, I don't even know where they're ranked, nor do I care.

What I see is people lobbying for Miami and now Iowa to be ranked higher, and then there could be response.

Sandra
It wasn't you Sandra, but there's at least 3 full pages on this thread devoted to how OSU gets no respect and should have moved up no less than 6 spots because they worked over Toledo. :rolleyes:

Sandra

I was not lobbying for Miami being HIGHER in the overall poll....I just think that there is no way Miami should be ranked BELOW Ohio State....REGARDLESS where they are in the polls.

I never understand how anyone is against these Conference Championship games. Its the closest we get to play offs.

It isn't that I hate the CCG (or conference tournaments in basketball), they are usually pretty exciting, it's that I think the season is a better barometer of who the best team in a conference is. I do, however, see how some of the mega-size conferences need to go with the divisions leading to the conference title games.

I've got no problem with our current ranking of #7. Nor do I have a problem if we get jumped by another undefeated Big-10 team before the season is over.

Like Sandra said, it will all sort itself out. In the last 3 weeks of the year, OSU plays the following schedule:

@ Penn State
vs. Iowa
@ Michigan

Depending on how we finish out, our ranking will be adjusted and deservingly so.

I agree with HD. If the Hawkeyes continue to win, especially if they can win at the shoe, they will end up ranked appropriately.

I suppose I just don't get October 'who should be ranked ahead of who' debates in general. With the current playoff system it only matters if you are ranked #1 or #2 at the end of the season anyway. After that, there really isn't much difference who is ranked #7, #10, #14 or whatever at the end of the season.

All ranked teams go to bowl games...heck, half of the NON-ranked teams go to bowl games too. You can debate money, prestige, or whatever regarding the BCS games, or the ranking of bowl games or whatever, but when it comes right down to it, every game that is not the national championship game is a consolation game.

In years Ohio State does not make the national championship game I still watch and root for them in whatever Bowl game they are in. But regardless of which game it is, regardless of the outcome...it's still a consolation game.

That's why if you're not #1 or #2 at the end (and chances are neither Miami, Ohio State or Iowa will be that high), to me the rest of the rankings are a non-debate.

I'm also not into the whole 'my conference is better than your conference' debate. Whatever, I really don't care. I certainly don't root for Michigan in bowl games because they're from the Big Ten.

Sandra

Last edited:

Redskins Vinnie Cerrato resigns!

Scary news for the Bengals "Chris Henry, dead at 26"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)