Join the SatelliteGuys Folding@Home Team!

I bet we are one of the few groups of people that spend hours researching videos cards and GPU's and not having gaming in mind. :D
That's funny, When I go to nvidia checking on the latest drivers I expect it to tell me it will increase my folding power 10x instead it says I can play candy war mutants at max. Woohoo

I expect to be re-doing my PC in December/January. What are the recommended graphics cards for a mid level budget. I am not afraid of a 2 way or 3 way SLI setup vs a high end single card. I want to game AND fold. Been quite some time since I have done the folding or SETI stuff, like 8 years....

In my opinion, if you are going to SLI two or three cards, go with EVGA GTX 960's. Best bang for your buck.
If you have deeper Pockets go for 2 or 3 970's running in SLI. That will put you up there for folding and gaming. :)
I personally don't think you would benefit much by going to a 980 from a 970.

I don't know what constitutes the limits of "mid-level" but I'm right now I'm using one 970 and it's enough to let me play (230-250k/day) with the "big boys" here. It's still reputed to be the best bang for the buck folding card.

So what does all this info mean to us?
Well, if you have a computer with a decent video card (and CPU), you can join the SatGuys Folding Team. Folding uses the idle computing cycles on your computer (CPU) and video card (GPU) to process complex math models of proteins that are used in disease research. It's a great cause and really costs you very little. Just a few kilowatts of juice per month. Come join us.

Reactions: KE4EST
Yes. Folding At Home, run out of Stanford University, is a massively parallel computing project doing basic research on protein folding as it relates to several dread diseases. They download work for your computer to do, your computer uploads the results to them. It's safe, there's never been a virus or trojan transmitted. There can't be any Trojans, it's from Stanford not USC ;) . It only costs you for the electricity to run your computer and it definitely extends the lifespan of its power button.

All in all, an easy way to do something good and engage in friendly competition. Go to http://folding.stanford.edu/ for more info. Love to see you here.

Well, if you have a computer with a decent video card (and CPU), you can join the SatGuys Folding Team. Folding uses the idle computing cycles on your computer (CPU) and video card (GPU) to process complex math models of proteins that are used in disease research. It's a great cause and really costs you very little. Just a few kilowatts of juice per month. Come join us.
Thanks Voyager6 for the info.

I got an i7 quad core desktop that has a decent video card that sits idle most of the time so that will put it to good use. It sure does slow the computer down while I am using it chose the option to only do it while I am idle.

I got an i7 quad core desktop that has a decent video card that sits idle most of the time so that will put it to good use. It sure does slow the computer down while I am using it chose the option to only do it while I am idle.
It is not so bad if you set it to you use just the GPU. If you have a decent video card it will produce so much better and faster than your CPU that it will make it seem nil anyway.
I have two machines folding on the GPU only.

The GPU's produce most of the points now. I am using GTX750ti's and average about 70K ppd per machine.

Welcome to the Fold, Stargazer! If you haven't generated one yet, make sure you get a Passkey (http://folding.stanford.edu/home/faq/faq-passkey/) which makes sure your contribution is tied to you and the Team. Plus, some of the Folding Clients produce higher Points totals (Bonus Points for Early Returns) with the Passkey.

SatelliteGuys Team is now #110! And we passed 800,000,000 Points!!
SatGuys-800MP.jpg

The road to Top 100 will take another three or four months at the rate we're progressing. Go Team!!!

Stargazer, I don't know if your GPU got recognized when you installed the FAH Client. Your daily Points production should be in the tens or hundreds of thousands if you have a recent Video Card configured.
Screen Shot 2015-10-22 at 8.27.27 PM.png

Instead, it looks like you're Folding with just the CPU slot.

What kind of graphics card does your computer have? An i7 should be plenty fast and generating more Points than what your seeing. The i7 on my iMac generates approximately 22,000 Points per day in the lowest use setting.

Disappearance - 103 W AMC1/Spaceway 1/DirecTV 10/DirecTV 12

Software Update Coming