Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Our forum software hasn't seen an update since December 8th, and today they released a new update. This update fixes a bunch of things but one of the most exciting things for me is that it finslly added PWA (progressive web app) support for Apple Devices.

This means you can add SatelliteGuys to your Apple Devices Homescreen and when you open that link it will open SatelliteGuys is a special Web App which is optimized for your phone. Our Android Users have been able to use the PWA for awhile now, but now Apple users can use it as well. With the lack of support by Tapatalk (not to mention plenty of bugs in their program) this could be a great replacement for many of our mobile users.

Because it was just released a few hours ago, I am going to wait a few days to install it, as this will allow us to make sure there are no new major bugs and also allows for our add on makers to update their add ins for support.

Here is more details of this update...

Our forum software hasn't seen an update since December 8th, and today they released a new update. This update fixes a bunch of things but one of the most exciting things for me is that it finslly added PWA (progressive web app) support for Apple Devices.

This means you can add SatelliteGuys to your Apple Devices Homescreen and when you open that link it will open SatelliteGuys is a special Web App which is optimized for your phone. Our Android Users have been able to use the PWA for awhile now, but now Apple users can use it as well. With the lack of support by Tapatalk (not to mention plenty of bugs in their program) this could be a great replacement for many of our mobile users.

Because it was just released a few hours ago, I am going to wait a few days to install it, as this will allow us to make sure there are no new major bugs and also allows for our add on makers to update their add ins for support.

Here is more details of this update...

I have uesed the Android PWA (progressive web app) for long time now and it works great. No Tapatalk for me. Hope you fellow Apple SatGuy members like it too. Thanks Scott.

I have been playing with the PWA on my iPhone and while it took some getting use to (like how to go back) it is much much better than Tapatalk!

To add the PWA to your iPhone / iPad open safari the. Go to SatelliteGuys.us. Once the page loads click on the box with the up arrow in Safari and say click on Add to Homescreen.

This adds the pwa to your homescreen. And you will notice it is different then viewing the site in Safari. :)

I already had the site shortcut on my Home Screen. Are you saying I should delete it and recreate it?

Reactions: charlesrshell
Well, it’s early and I haven’t had my coffee yet, so let’s throw caution to the wind! Done.

It took awhile to start the first time, and I had to log in, but I am using it and one thing I noticed is the keyboard works again! The Safari shortcuts I had before would be horrible for the predicted wording, now it’s actually putting the word I want in its entirety. I typed most of this entry by the predictive text entry.

Thank you, Scott!!!

Hmmm, interesting. I now have a separate App called SatelliteGuys. It’s not just another Safari instance.
1685188564904.png
edit: Wow, is that image crushed! I hope that doesn’t happen with all our image uploads…
1685188997003.png
Hmmm, better, but still less detail than the original image. Actual pictures from my Photos appear to be fine.

Last edited:
Just a test image post on this Memorial Day Weekend:
IMG_9996.jpeg
Nope, that looks fine. It must have been the Thumbnail I used in the previous post.

What is the trick for navigating back?
I just swipe in from the left hand screen.
edit: if you scroll to the bottom of the page, two controls appear in the lower right hand corner:
IMG_1212.jpeg

I was used to pulling down in Safari to refresh the page, but that doesn’t seem to work now.

edit: Another very promising feature of this PWA is the battery life. Having the SatGuys page active would burn through my iPad’s battery, but I’ve been using this for an hour now and I’ve gone from 33% to 30%. :D

I occasionally see a left arrow in the bottom left corner but don't see how to force it to show. Have to play around some more.
Yeah, it’s now showing up there instead of the right corner. Odd.

The lack of a Refresh Page is super frustrating. I’m force-quitting the App and starting it up again to update the content.

Press the SatelliteGuys logo for it to refresh you to the homepage.
Well, that does work, but it’s not the same as refreshing the page you’re on. Pressing the SatelliteGuys logo takes you back to the home page (unless you were already there) and then you need to navigate back to where you were.

If you navigate to the hamburger menu and select Unread Post, for example, there is a Refresh icon available. Perhaps there is a way that this icon could be added to the top menu?
1685214997023.png