Dish Price Increases (2024-25)

How easy is this to operate? My wife wants only KISS remotes. I have a Roku Ultra if that makes any difference. Can you fast forward or rewind it? My two year contract runs out in January, so I want to be ready.
You can use the fire tv/ stick remote or the roku remote and you can see the tiles as you fast forward the program so you can stop when the commercial is over. You can also reverse it the same way. Just use the right arrow to forward or the left arrow to reverse.

The home screen has has a"Trending on Tablo" section with all the show on the different streaming channels that you have with the Tablo. A "For you" section showing shows on you might want to watch on ota channels. Then "Recent Recordings" section. Then a "Your Favorites" section - if you go through and label the channels you like they will pop up here. Then a "Live and Upcoming Sports" section. "Bingeworthy TV" section. "Upcoming network premieres" section. Featured shows & movies section and a "Can't miss primetime" section. Followed by a Live News section and several other genres after that. It is very nice and modern screen. On the top section above the screen you have Library (for dvr recording) Home, Live, Shows, Movies ,Sports and Settings tile. Very easy and convenient to find everything.

The guide is like any DISH guide and it has channel logs on a blue background. You get two weeks of guide information. You can also add or subtract from the all list and keep just what you want under the settings tile once you set up you ota channels and scan for them. Including taking any streaming channel you don't like out. I have a total of 60 channels with streaming and ota included.

You can go to your TV shows section and select from each channel there the shows you want to record and set it for series timers and how many to keep etc. Very convenient and I like it much better than using the guide like we did with DISH. You can pick series recording options and a detailed screen will pop up with everything you need to record it. How many to keep or Auto delete ,whether to start on time or run late and whether it would be on this channel or any channel source.

You will like it as long as you have a good ota antenna and a good internet source you are all set. You can't watch the Tablo app out side of you home like the older Legacy Tablos, but that feature will soon be gone with those older Tablos too. I could never get mine to work right anyway on the older Tablo.

I would still get the 4 tuner, just to be safe.

Doubtful

Do not get the shows via dish or an antenna during these storms?

I would assume you mean Dish, that is where the 4 tuner Tablo would be more useful, like a back up.
WE use our 4 tuner Next GEN Tablo for this reason. A back up in case we have problems with Sling Tv missing a program etc. Both work but the Tablo seems better at not missing anything. My DISH usb tuner on my deactivated Hopper has problems with "Part of the recording is missing" messages popping up on recordings on my ABC /NBC station all the time. These channels are broadcast in VHF and my CBS /CW/FOX channels are in UHF. Never have trouble on my Tablo with any channels.

WE use our 4 tuner Next GEN Tablo for this reason. A back up in case we have problems with Sling Tv missing a program etc. Both work but the Tablo seems better at not missing anything. My DISH usb tuner on my deactivated Hopper has problems with "Part of the recording is missing" messages popping up on recordings on my ABC /NBC station all the time. These channels are broadcast in VHF and my CBS /CW/FOX channels are in UHF. Never have trouble on my Tablo with any channels.
Tablo has never failed me yet, but I use it as a back up, since most content I watch online.

If a OTA show disappears from a streaming service ( has not happened yet), I know I have the Tablo recording ready to go.

Will Tablo pull in all of the network stations? When I input my zip code it only shows ABC and NBC.
Do you not have local CBS/FOX?

I have all the Networks and so much more ( damn rerun channels).

Reactions: charlesrshell
You do not have internet service or able to use a antenna?
I do not have much in the way of internet service. Best case, my phone will get 2mb. I cannot hot spot it to a firestick due to the low bit rate. An outside antenna would get me ABC (and two subchannels) reliably. With a big enough and "high" enough antenna I might be able to get other stations. I am blocked by a very high bank on the creek I'm on. This affects both phone and television. Hence the need for Dish.

I do not have much in the way of internet service. Best case, my phone will get 2mb. I cannot hot spot it to a firestick due to the low bit rate. An outside antenna would get me ABC (and two subchannels) reliably. With a big enough and "high" enough antenna I might be able to get other stations. I am blocked by a very high bank on the creek I'm on. This affects both phone and television. Hence the need for Dish.
Well, that just sucks.

Hopefully Amazon gets their new less expensive Satellite Broadband going, if anything happens to the Satellite Services, you will need it.

Plug in 72712 instead of your own and see what you get. If you get the channels off of your OTA antenna, Tablo will receive them as well.
I did and it shows all of them. I am between Joplin (North) and the towers South toward Ft. Smith. I pick up the Joplin channels better than the Ft. Smith stations. My CM4228 picks up all of them, but Joplin channels are stronger.

Well, that just sucks.

Hopefully Amazon gets their new less expensive Satellite Broadband going, if anything happens to the Satellite Services, you will need it.
The good news is that I can watch my Sling box on my phone (most of the time). Not quite the same as a tv though.

I wonder what less expensive will be though.

I did and it shows all of them. I am between Joplin (North) and the towers South toward Ft. Smith. I pick up the Joplin channels better than the Ft. Smith stations. My CM4228 picks up all of them, but Joplin channels are stronger.
I know where you are at, I have a former neighbor who moved to Bella Vista a few years back. If your 4228 is pulling in both Joplin and Fort Smith you will get the same off of the Tablo. That chart is only showing what you should receive. When you scan for channels whatever is coming down the antenna cable is going to be there.

Probably too far for Tulsa. I could easily get Joplin in the RV in storage at our lake house in Grove. I only had a small outdoor antenna at the time to try on the house when we bought it 6-7 yrs ago. Was too busy remodeling to trace all the coax, and then my brother in law ripped it all off the outside while I was gone. Sold the rv just before my dad passed away and everyone else is happy with YoutubeTV out there, so I haven't even messed with it since.

I have 5 lifetime TiVo's now that I use for OTA only. Myself and my mother are the only ones that use them since my dad passed. She struggles to use the tvs at the lake with YTTV. I really wanted to put a couple of TiVo's out there, but it would just cause confusion for them there trying to change inputs and then dealing with the different channel numbers and names if I couldn't pull in the Tulsa stations and had to only use Joplin.

Today Dish updated the pricing page on the business side of things: "Effective 9/19/2024, local channel pricing will be increased by up to $3 per month. Check back periodically for updates regarding local pricing." MyDISH

If it is similar on the residential side of things, that would give us where the "resulting in up to an $8 increase per month" comes from - $5 for core packages then up to $3 for local channels. And it would seem that the locals package would be $12 - $15 based off the locals received.

I can not access the my dish app It stopped working. I deleted it and reinstalled and still nothing. You can do all of your login information and that’s it. Very strange.

Is the Welcome Pack on the residential side getting an increase, too? I see it on the business side but not the residential side. I believe we have a special price for having the package so many years like a few dollars off; I was wondering if Dish will do like in the past increases. Currently, ours is $45.99 with local channels. So, I really hope the $59.99 is just for the business side and not the residential side as well. We considered cutting the cord in the past but probably catching all our locals better and more consistent with DIsh than an antenna. Of course, we cut down to two receivers paying $7 (could cut down to one and get rid of the $7 with dropping to just a Duo) and could cut an add-on (since we have the $10/month Movie Pack although it is nice to have access to Starz, Encore, Movieplex, and MGM Plus) if needed. However, satellite TV has not been as exciting honestly. I also have Philo; so, we get a lot of the channels in the Welcome Pack in it. Of course, sometimes the Internet is not always that great in our area. We could probably try an antenna if needed for locals, but the indoor ones have not been that great. Probably an outside antenna or an attic one would work better. I currently have a Spotify & Hulu grandfathered bundle, Paramount Plus (through W Plus), and Peacock (at an yearly discount with a few months left) as well.

If you can get locals OTA, Plex is probably better than Philo+Welcome Pack. Welcome Pack just stopped being a supplemental bargain a few years ago, and I got lucky because I got TCM by accident with Welcome Pack.

I miss DIRT

Hopper 3 Plus Tune to Last Channel