Charged for unordered PPV.

agrolingua

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 4, 2009
NE WI
I have had Dish Net for sometime and have never had the desire to watch any pay per view. This month I received my bill and was charged for about $60 worth of movies and latin boxing. I did not order any of this.

I had an idea how this might have happened. We have new neighbors and I noted a dish just like ours on their balcony. For a few days early in the month our TV seemed like it was possessed by the devil. In other words channels would change on one of the TV's (closest to our neighbor--the other side of the wall) and channels would turn up I never watch or been able to get. It seemed to me pretty quickly that the problem was interference from another remote control suing the same frequency. So, I called Dish CS and asked how to change this. They helped and the problem was solved, I thought.

At the end of the month I received the bill mentioned above. I again called Dish CS and had them look at my bill and then I explained what I thought had happened. He could also see where I had called in about the remote issue. I think that was right after a bunch of these PPV's were charged.

The CS rep acknowledged that interference from another remote could have been an issue, but said the policy was there were no refunds on PPV. He said he would talk to his supervisor. While waiting I predicted in my mind that they might take off the movies but not budge on the big ticket Latin boxing. I was right. They would not budge on that item. I suggested that I am paying for something that someone else watched. He said something to the effect that if it showed up on their screen they were charged. What does that suggest?

I went around on this for a while. Not getting anywhere I even said that they would probably loss a customer over this. The CS rep said he could transfer me to that number.

That is a pretty long story. Does anyone have experience, ideas or tactics I can use to get this charge taken off my bill? They seem to acknowledge that this is a problem with technology, but tough.

I have had Dish Net for sometime and have never had the desire to watch any pay per view. This month I received my bill and was charged for about $60 worth of movies and latin boxing. I did not order any of this.

I had an idea how this might have happened. We have new neighbors and I noted a dish just like ours on their balcony. For a few days early in the month our TV seemed like it was possessed by the devil. In other words channels would change on one of the TV's (closest to our neighbor--the other side of the wall) and channels would turn up I never watch or been able to get. It seemed to me pretty quickly that the problem was interference from another remote control suing the same frequency. So, I called Dish CS and asked how to change this. They helped and the problem was solved, I thought.

At the end of the month I received the bill mentioned above. I again called Dish CS and had them look at my bill and then I explained what I thought had happened. He could also see where I had called in about the remote issue. I think that was right after a bunch of these PPV's were charged.

The CS rep acknowledged that interference from another remote could have been an issue, but said the policy was there were no refunds on PPV. He said he would talk to his supervisor. While waiting I predicted in my mind that they might take off the movies but not budge on the big ticket Latin boxing. I was right. They would not budge on that item. I suggested that I am paying for something that someone else watched. He said something to the effect that if it showed up on their screen they were charged. What does that suggest?

I went around on this for a while. Not getting anywhere I even said that they would probably loss a customer over this. The CS rep said he could transfer me to that number.

That is a pretty long story. Does anyone have experience, ideas or tactics I can use to get this charge taken off my bill? They seem to acknowledge that this is a problem with technology, but tough.

The most likely reason for the PPV and other charges is your neighbors have the same Remote address as you are using for the TV#2 remote.

If you Lock the PPV channels and then lock your system this can not happen anymore as if you do select a PPV event your receiver will prompt you for the 4 Digit code you set up.

The other thing you can do is change the remote address for your TV#2 (RF) remote.

Dish's policy is they do not give credits on PPV ordering. The first thing I do when I setup a receiver is to select the PPV and adult channels lock and then lock the receiver.

John

Unfortunately you are going to have to take the hit on the boxing PPV. If I were you I would goto all of my boxes in the house and change the remote address on each box.

I would suspect that the issues you were having was on a box that uses a UHF remote. Dish installers never change the remote address.

Unfortunately you are going to have to take the hit on the boxing PPV. If I were you I would goto all of my boxes in the house and change the remote address on each box.

I would suspect that the issues you were having was on a box that uses a UHF remote. Dish installers never change the remote address.
I guess it depends on the installer.
When my sister got E* the first thing he did after chaging the resolution was change the TV#2 remote address.

good advice

The most likely reason for the PPV and other charges is your neighbors have the same Remote address as you are using for the TV#2 remote.

If you Lock the PPV channels and then lock your system this can not happen anymore as if you do select a PPV event your receiver will prompt you for the 4 Digit code you set up.

The other thing you can do is change the remote address for your TV#2 (RF) remote.

Dish's policy is they do not give credits on PPV ordering. The first thing I do when I setup a receiver is to select the PPV and adult channels lock and then lock the receiver.

John

I guess we changed the remote address on the first call I made to customer service. I haven't had any problem with interference since that time. Don't know if I want to go through the hassle of locking the PPV channels. Have to think on that one.

Thanks for all your advice.

It's really easy to lock PPV. Just follow these steps:

Press "MENU" then press "5" on the remote.

Then select "6" (Lock PPV).

Lastly select "3" (Lock System). Then create a 4 digit pin#.

That's the steps for my 625 but it may be different depending on the receiver.

When you sign your contract, it clearly states that all programming is non-refundable. If DISH was lenient on this policy, especially for big ticket PPV, then everyone would be calling saying that they didn't order the fight and trying to get their money back by blaming it on the neighbors.

You are basically saying that Dish Network has no way of telling what customer ordered what... So if you get a bill from Dish Network for a couple thousand dollars, because 50 of your neighbors ordered that much pay per view, due to the technology having a bug in it because of a remote address issue then you are stuck with the bill even though you are not the one who ordered it.

(All programming is non-refundable should only apply to what a customer actually ordered.)

If Dish Network doesn't resolve this issue. I see a law suit coming from some customers real soon. When they get a bill so large they can't afford to pay it, but Dish Network insist they owe it and must pay it.

It sounds like Dish Network is commiting a little fraud to me. Since they know that this is an issue and they aren't resolving the problem. I see no where in the manual that came with the equipment that you can be charged for programming that you haven't ordered if you don't lock the pay per view channels or change your remote address.

Because I don't believe for one second that they don't know which customer ordered what.

When you sign your contract, it clearly states that all programming is non-refundable. If DISH was lenient on this policy, especially for big ticket PPV, then everyone would be calling saying that they didn't order the fight and trying to get their money back by blaming it on the neighbors.

Because I don't believe for one second that they don't know which customer ordered what.

How could they know? If the neighbor's remote calls up a PPV on your TV, how would Dish know the difference?

Because of the confirmation screen, one must assume that the remote was controlling both TVs. So with a little research, Dish should be able to see two houses side by side ordering something at the same time. Surely it is worth their time to foresee this and make it easy to check.

I think I'm going to reconsider locks.

Because they know it is an issue. Even in the OPs original post this was told to them when they called to complain... "The CS rep acknowledged that interference from another remote could have been an issue."

How could they know? If the neighbor's remote calls up a PPV on your TV, how would Dish know the difference?

Because of the confirmation screen, one must assume that the remote was controlling both TVs. So with a little research, Dish should be able to see two houses side by side ordering something at the same time. Surely it is worth their time to foresee this and make it easy to check.

I think I'm going to reconsider locks.

If Dish Network doesn't resolve this issue. I see a law suit coming from some customers real soon. When they get a bill so large they can't afford to pay it, but Dish Network insist they owe it and must pay it.

It sounds like Dish Network is commiting a little fraud to me. Since they know that this is an issue and they aren't resolving the problem. I see no where in the manual that came with the equipment that you can be charged for programming that you haven't ordered if you don't lock the pay per view channels or change your remote address.

ValentinaRose,

The problem is the PPV orders were placed through your receiver, and by your insistence, not by you nor anybody else in your household. How in the world could Dish determine whom placed that order, be that by you or a neighboring Dish Customer. The simple fact is, the orders for PPV events were placed through your receiver.

Dish has contracts with other providers to carry live sporting events, they have to abide by those contracts (and pay huge dollars as well as royalties for each order).

When you agreed to Dish Service you signed a contract, in that contract you agreed to pay for the service you receive as well as any other ordered services through your receiver. There is no breach of Contract on Dish's behalf.

You can't not argue that the orders were not placed through your receiver as clearly they were.

Unfortunately, you should be pleased Dish is offering to void any of those PPV orders from your Bill.

As I said before you should lock the PPV channels and then lock your system. After that is done no neighboring RF remote signals could accidentally order services, nor could any visiting contractor, child, over-nighting "Friend", etc. If you do wish to order a PPV event all you will need to do is confirm the Lock code if you select a PPV event.

John

That is not the problem. The problem is that each receiver should only be able to be used by that customers remote only when ordering Pay Per View. If Dish Network knows that a receiver from one customer can be highjacked by another customers remote to order pay per view and they aren't resolving the issue then they will eventually be lawsuits filed by a customer or customers who get a $9000 or $10000 dollar bill .

What if your electric company had this policy that due to your neighbors electric meter high jacking your meter. Then you had to also pay your neighbors electric bill for 600 dollars or more each time that happened. Would you go for that?

One customers remote should not be able to order Pay Per View through another customers receiver. End of issue.

As for the original poster. I'm not them. I didn't have this issue. I just see this as being fraud if Dish knows it is an issue and yet they don't do anything to correct the problem or inform customers that it is a possibility and how to keep it from happening.

ValentinaRose,

The problem is the PPV orders were placed through your receiver, and by your insistence, not by you nor anybody else in your household. How in the world could Dish determine whom placed that order, be that by you or a neighboring Dish Customer. The simple fact is, the orders for PPV events were placed through your receiver.

Dish has contracts with other providers to carry live sporting events, they have to abide by those contracts (and pay huge dollars as well as royalties for each order).

When you agreed to Dish Service you signed a contract, in that contract you agreed to pay for the service you receive as well as any other ordered services through your receiver. There is no breach of Contract on Dish's behalf.

You can't not argue that the orders were not placed through your receiver as clearly they were.

Unfortunately, you should be pleased Dish is offering to void any of those PPV orders from your Bill.

As I said before you should lock the PPV channels and then lock your system. After that is done no neighboring RF remote signals could accidentally order services, nor could any visiting contractor, child, over-nighting "Friend", etc. If you do wish to order a PPV event all you will need to do is confirm the Lock code if you select a PPV event.

John

Last edited:
Policy

My contract says "except in limited circumstances--charges for services--are nonrefunable". They really do not say what those circumstances are, but I suspect there is some subjective discretion on their part.

It also says something about programming ordered by anyone using my equipment. I can guarantee they did not order with my remote.

I am sure that it is not hard for Dish to look at the records and history of 2 ajoining addresses and see what the habits of each customer is and then some equitable business decision.

Yes, yes I realize you can say that all you simply have to do is set a password on PPV and it should never happen. But, if you never use PPV than you are not all the aware that such a thing can happen and hence are not concerned about the protections.

Thanks for your input. It forced me to read the contract in all it's detail and helped me find my arguement to pursue this with dish.

I would contact your credit card company if you use a credit card to pay. Your credit card company is your representative, ask what options you have.

Once the receiver downloads purchases, history is useless. Put a password on your receiver that will solve everything.

It will match the receiver and bill.

Happened to a friend. They did not match so she was credited for the charge.

An education

Check your receiver.

Menu=system setup=purchase history.

Well, I am getting a real education of Dish Net tonight. I guess that is a good thing.

I checked my purchase history. None of that stuff I was billed for was there.

In fact there were some different movies in Sept. listed that I never ordered, or was billed for.

So, what do you think is up with my account?

This makes no sense to me.
Even if the remote issue is a problem, it still has nothingot do wiht PPV charges.
The offending next door neighbor would have to have the receiver and smartcard numbers from the recivers in the OP's house listed on HIS account.
I contend there is another issue here. An issue other than the remote control.

SlingGuide down ?

Why doesn't internet Remote Access to programing work?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)