Charged for unordered PPV.

Purchase history is only going to show purchases that are still on the receiver's smart card. Once those charges are received by DISH, they are cleared off the card so nothing in purchase history after that. Credit limits on smart cards are not set to an exorbitant number like $1000 or $9000. I'm not going to say what those limits are.

Bottom line is DISH can prove in any court that the request to order the event originated from a particular receiver. The owner of the account of that receiver has a responsibility to determine who has access to order services through it.

Also, just as an FYI, their policy on PPV disputes is to set the credit limit to $0 on your account so that your receiver will tell you no even if you are connected to a phone when you order and to require you set a parental pin on each TUNER in your home. Further PPV orders after that are strictly non-refundable. So, if you choose not to lock your receiver, at that point you will have gone against DISH's instructions and be responsible for any further such charges.

Also, just as an FYI, their policy on PPV disputes is to set the credit limit to $0 on your account so that your receiver will tell you no even if you are connected to a phone when you order and to require you set a parental pin on each TUNER in your home. Further PPV orders after that are strictly non-refundable. So, if you choose not to lock your receiver, at that point you will have gone against DISH's instructions and be responsible for any further such charges.

Called them again and querried them about the purchase history. They had no good answer, but did take off all PPV including the boxing "as a one time gesture." Just as indicated above they lowered my credit limit to $0. But, that is not an issue to me as I never order PPV. If I ever really want to I guess I can pick up the phone and call.

The thing that still amazes me is that none of the 3 CSR reps ever mentioned to me that I could "lock" the system with a password. I only learned that on this forum. Indeed, I mentioned this to the last CSR and he acknowledged that I could do that, but did not seem to keen on the idea.

You know this is not like I am taking money from them. It is something I never ordered or received. It is not like it is a tangible (like a hotel room) and could have sold to someone else. Yes, a lot of people can complain and say they never ordered something. But, giving customers a one time break is reasonable and perhaps they should be willing to bend a bit quicker.

Anyway, this issue is resolved.

This is why the very first thing I do is change the remote address from 1 to just about any other number. I use mostly the extended addresses so that most home systems have virtually no chance of accessing mine.

Called them again and querried them about the purchase history. They had no good answer, but did take off all PPV including the boxing "as a one time gesture." Just as indicated above they lowered my credit limit to $0. But, that is not an issue to me as I never order PPV. If I ever really want to I guess I can pick up the phone and call.

The thing that still amazes me is that none of the 3 CSR reps ever mentioned to me that I could "lock" the system with a password. I only learned that on this forum. Indeed, I mentioned this to the last CSR and he acknowledged that I could do that, but did not seem to keen on the idea.

You know this is not like I am taking money from them. It is something I never ordered or received. It is not like it is a tangible (like a hotel room) and could have sold to someone else. Yes, a lot of people can complain and say they never ordered something. But, giving customers a one time break is reasonable and perhaps they should be willing to bend a bit quicker.

Anyway, this issue is resolved.
It is my opinion that if a CSR tells a customer how they can avoid buying PPV's, it would be in management's opinion "not a very good idea"

In fact, Dish has all this info about changing Remote Access and locking your system on the channel 101 Welcome to Dish, and I think this could constitute "a method of informing customers" in a court of law, not to mention same such info on some bills and website.

Fire 'em

Not doubt the information is all there if you look for it. But, most people do not really spend a lot of time going through all those little programs on channel 101 unless something stops working or they have a problem. Most people are just interested in turning on the TV and flip through the channels.

I am not real concerned about a court of law. In this case I would not bother to go to court over a $50 or $60 charge. Perhaps some would. What I may do is "fire" Dish Network as my broadcast provider. I have no commitment with them and could drop them like a bad habit and chose another. There are lots of other options, even free. This site is evidence of the many options out there.

SlingGuide down ?

Why doesn't internet Remote Access to programing work?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)