X-Box, Playstation, and Wii Game News

Since no review copies were sent out in advance, we're only now getting in reviews for Mafia 3. The general consensus seems to be that while the game has a great story and great characters, it can't excuse the fact that the missions are very repetitive and gameplay is very basic for the time (meaning compared to other modern open world games it's lacking in features). Maybe I'll check it out sometime if I get back into an open world mood and its heavily discounted and the PC version stops being a pile of dung.

Battleborn got new SP and MP DLC today.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...ultiplayer-Mode-Today#&gid=gallery_6562&pid=1

Sure all the fans will appreciate it.

In related news, Jim Sterling released an interesting obit on Battleborn yesterday.

I just find it hard to even care about Battleborn. Even if it went free to play I wouldn't want to play it. The money isn't the issue or I would have grabbed it when it was part of a Humble Bundle. I played quite a bit of it during the closed beta and I just don't think it's fun to play. Even if the game was free my time for games is limited and there are too many games I actually like for me to play all of them. It doesn't make sense to waste time with a game I don't like.

They tried to combine shooters with MOBAs after having success with combining shooters with Diablo in Borderlands. The problem is that I don't think they did either shooting or MOBA aspects well. The shooting feels bad and there are better MOBAs I would much rather play instead. It's true that launching at the same time as Overwatch hurt Battleborn but even if Overwatch didn't exist I don't think Battleborn would be doing very well. It's just not a very good game.

The Call of Duty Infinite Warfare Beta starts tomorrow on PS4. I'm not sure whether I will actually even participate in the Beta. I've already purchased the game and I know what COD multiplayer is at this point. I don't really mind waiting until the game releases November 4th to dive in. I think I'd rather spend my gaming time this weekend with Gears 4 and my quest for Overwatch Halloween skins.

That being said, my pre-order came with beta codes for myself and 5 extras for friends. If anyone here has a PS4 and wants a beta code let me know.

I just find it hard to even care about Battleborn. Even if it went free to play I wouldn't want to play it. The money isn't the issue or I would have grabbed it when it was part of a Humble Bundle. I played quite a bit of it during the closed beta and I just don't think it's fun to play. Even if the game was free my time for games is limited and there are too many games I actually like for me to play all of them. It doesn't make sense to waste time with a game I don't like.

They tried to combine shooters with MOBAs after having success with combining shooters with Diablo in Borderlands. The problem is that I don't think they did either shooting or MOBA aspects well. The shooting feels bad and there are better MOBAs I would much rather play instead. It's true that launching at the same time as Overwatch hurt Battleborn but even if Overwatch didn't exist I don't think Battleborn would be doing very well. It's just not a very good game.

I certainly think that had Overwatch not come out that Battleborn would have done significantly better. However, that doesn't mean that I think it would have been as successful as Overwatch is (which recently celebrated 20 million players.) And I still feel that the true litmus test for the game was when it went on Humble Bundle for $15. That was a 75% discount on the game, and it included free in game currency. If the game had maintained its player spike it got from it then you could at least say that its blunders were more due to bad timing. But the fact that the player base went right back down to pre-sale levels just proved that it was the game itself that was hurting it.

Still, at this point going F2P can't hurt. I mean how can the game do any worse than it currently is now? The peak playerbase of the past 30 days is 626. Then again it'll still run into difficulty going F2P thanks to Paladins being out now, which has an average for 24,000 players and is seeing constant updates and improvements. But again, at this point, why not go F2P? Well, that along with making some fundamental gameplay changes. It's not worth doing an overhaul and still charging money because the name is so tarnished. Best to try the Evolve thing at this point, although it should be noted that that also had a huge dropoff after it went F2P in the first few months.

http://steamcharts.com/app/273350

I certainly think that had Overwatch not come out that Battleborn would have done significantly better. However, that doesn't mean that I think it would have been as successful as Overwatch is (which recently celebrated 20 million players.) And I still feel that the true litmus test for the game was when it went on Humble Bundle for $15. That was a 75% discount on the game, and it included free in game currency. If the game had maintained its player spike it got from it then you could at least say that its blunders were more due to bad timing. But the fact that the player base went right back down to pre-sale levels just proved that it was the game itself that was hurting it.

Still, at this point going F2P can't hurt. I mean how can the game do any worse than it currently is now? The peak playerbase of the past 30 days is 626. Then again it'll still run into difficulty going F2P thanks to Paladins being out now, which has an average for 24,000 players and is seeing constant updates and improvements. But again, at this point, why not go F2P? Well, that along with making some fundamental gameplay changes. It's not worth doing an overhaul and still charging money because the name is so tarnished. Best to try the Evolve thing at this point, although it should be noted that that also had a huge dropoff after it went F2P in the first few months.

http://steamcharts.com/app/273350

Yeah, they really have nothing to lose by trying a free to play model. I'm just not convinced it would actually do anything to turn things around for them. Like Evolve it might provide a small boost but it's probably not going to suddenly make it a popular game. I would much rather have them just accept that Battleborn is dead and focus their attention on making sure Borderlands 3 is great.

Well, for a AAA publisher to close up shop on a game after only 6 months is a very hard pill to take. Given the money that went into development and marketing they need to try and do whatever they can to recover what they can. Last thing they want to deal with is something like BB pulling all their results down when earnings are announced. I also think that Take 2 isn't going to do very well with Mafia 3 either, given the very lukewarm reception that received. Also, given how business is, I don't think that stopping BB would then free up resources for Borderlands 3. They already have that staff assigned and timeline in motion. There's probably a better chance that those people assigned to Battleborn are then out of a job. And besides, do you want people who made a bad game working on a game series you really like? :p

Well, for a AAA publisher to close up shop on a game after only 6 months is a very hard pill to take. Given the money that went into development and marketing they need to try and do whatever they can to recover what they can. Last thing they want to deal with is something like BB pulling all their results down when earnings are announced. I also think that Take 2 isn't going to do very well with Mafia 3 either, given the very lukewarm reception that received. Also, given how business is, I don't think that stopping BB would then free up resources for Borderlands 3. They already have that staff assigned and timeline in motion. There's probably a better chance that those people assigned to Battleborn are then out of a job. And besides, do you want people who made a bad game working on a game series you really like? :p

Well the other thing to consider is that converting their existing game to free to play will cost them money. It probably costs more than you would think to make a shift like that. Someone would have to come up with the free to play model they are going to implement. That may seem trivial but I think it's important that it is done right. When free to play is done wrong people hate it. They have to come up with a plan for getting the most possible money out of people without making those people feel like they are being taken advantage of. They also have to do the actual changes to the software to put the free to play stuff in. It's not like going free to play is as simple as flipping a switch. There is an investment required.

Keep in mind that 2K is the publisher for both Battleborn and Evolve too. That means they know exactly how well switching Evolve to free to play worked. It doesn't seem like the shift to free to play increased Evolve's player base that much. That really isn't the most important thing to consider from 2K's perspective though. What is important to them is how many of those people they were able to make money off. Getting Battleborn from a a peak player base of 626 up to 2000-3000 doesn't help 2K at all if those players are just playing because its free and they aren't willing to spend money on the game. Even if some of those players are spending money they might not increase the player base enough that it would be worth the investment.

The point is that they probably have a pretty decent idea of how well this would work from Evolve's numbers. If Evolve was raking in the cash I'm sure they wouldn't hesitate. Their numbers might be telling them that it's just not worth the investment it would take to make the switch.

Yeah, I think Rockstar is planning on making a big announcement very soon..

Just noticed there's 7 figures. Magnificent Seven game maybe?

It's becoming painfully clear that Horde 3.0 in Gears 4 is pay to win system...

http://screenrant.com/gears-of-war-4-microtransactions-controversy/

I don't know if I completely agree with that. I finished all 50 waves in Horde mode over the weekend. I also made it all the way to the 50th round my second time playing and I haven't spent any money on micro transactions at all.

Yes, there are optional card packs but my experience with the Horde mode says they absolutely are not necessary. I have only made 4 attempts at Horde and made it to the final round two of those times and completed it once. From what I have seen so far, the group of people you get matched with makes a big difference but the cards don't seem that important.

Playstation Classic Game Console w/Enhancements

PSN Network ID

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)