X-Box, Playstation, and Wii Game News

Randy Pitchford has said that there are NOT plans to convert Battleborn to F2P.

However, it looks like there ARE plans for a "trial" version coming where you can start off playing for free, and then upgrade to a "full" version.

In case anyone was wondering how BB is doing in terms of player numbers, I can't speak for Consoles but for PC it has an average of less than 350 players. That's bad in general, but for a game that's less than 6 months old that was hyped up as much as it was, it's nothing short of embarrassing. It did see a noticeable bump when it went to $15 on Humble Bundle to where the player base was quadrupled, but the fact that it didn't stay shows that price isn't the barrier to people playing; it's the game itself. There's fundamental issues with it if people aren't playing it when it's available for so cheap (It regularly goes for $20-$40 new.) But really it's clear that they need to do more than just make the game F2P. And even though I think Randy Pitchford is a complete douchebag (seriously, look it up, he's a dick and has even argued with me personally on Twitter) I don't wish for this game to do bad.

As some people have pointed out though, with Paladins now making waves as a colorful F2P FPS MOBA style game, Battleborn may have yet another uphill battle if it decides to go F2P.

I don't think that even going free to play would save Battleborn at this point. I think it's probably too late for that. There wasn't much buzz about the game at launch but there is zero now. It should have been free to play from the start. Every single MOBA that has had any success has been free to play while Gearbox thought they could charge $60 for theirs in a market that is already pretty saturated for some reason.

Going free to play now would increase the numbers several times higher than they are now but it wouldn't put them anywhere close to other MOBAs that have been around for years and continue to grow. I think they might just be better off letting that game die than investing the time and money to convert it to a free to play model at this point. Instead of doing that they should just focus on getting us a great Borderlands 3 game.

Some Modern/Infinite Warfare news..

First, it appears that both games take place in the same canon.

Also, it appears that while the included Modern Warfare remaster will just be a digital code, you won't be able to actually play it unless you have the Infinite Warfare disc in the drive. This is likely to prevent people from buying the IW/MW bundle and selling their copy separate. Some may say it's a bit of a shrewd move, but it looks like Activision is adamant about forcing people to buy IW if they want MW as well. Of course it does ALSO mean that if you decide to sell/give away your copy of IW, not only does the person not get a copy of MW with it, but YOUR copy of MW will be rendered unplayable.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/10/2/13...rfare-remastered-disc-needed-infinite-warfare

Of course it does ALSO mean that if you decide to sell/give away your copy of IW, not only does the person not get a copy of MW with it, but YOUR copy of MW will be rendered unplayable.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/10/2/13...rfare-remastered-disc-needed-infinite-warfare

I guess if you consider the entire package as one product that makes sense. It also makes sense that they are trying to prevent used game stores from being flooded with copies of Infinite Warfare on day one from all the people who are just buying it for Modern Warfare Remastered. All of those used copies sold are people who are not only getting the game without giving Activison any percentage of the sale, Activision also has to pay for servers for those people to play on.

It also makes sense that they are trying to prevent used game stores from being flooded with copies of Infinite Warfare on day one from all the people who are just buying it for Modern Warfare Remastered
I think they're more worried about people not buying IW than they are a bunch of returns for the sake of just getting MW. Don't forget, to get MW you need to spend at least $80 to get that version of IW. I can't imagine there's a bunch of people willing to throw down $80 JUST to play Modern Warfare again. Yeah the game's a classic but at this point in the series it's just a fun throwback. I mean hell, you can't even customize your killstreaks in that game. I think it's more the other way around where people will buy IW but have no interest in MW and instead sell it for on their own. People probably aren't willing to pay $80 to play MW but I'm pretty sure they'd be willing to pay $20-$30 to do so, and every one of those sold is really an $80 loss for Activision.

Overall these don't affect me anyways. I'm actually considering getting the Digital Deluxe version since it has MW as well as the Season Pass for $99.99. And this time on the PS4 since A: None of my Xbox Friends seem to want to play with me (undoubtedly because they're scared of my skills) and B: If I'm getting a Season Pass I want to get my DLC early.

I actually know two people who are claiming they are only buying it for MW. One of my friends told me he was buying the physical copy because he thought it would come with two discs and he would be able to sell the IW disc.

I don't think anyone wanted to spend $80 just for MW but there are definitely some people doing it. This is why they aren't selling MW standalone for a more reasonable $30-$40. They know they can get people who were big fans of that game to spend $80 even if they don't buy COD every year anymore.

Edit: I pre-ordered the $80 digital version. If you are already spending $80 and want the season pass the $100 deluxe edition would make sense since those season passes are usually $50 on their own. I just don't think I'll play enough IW multiplayer to make the season pass necessary. Even in years where I play a lot of COD with my college friends none of them buy the season pass so when I do it ends up being a waste of money. This time they are saying they want to play more MW online than IW so it will be even less worth it to me.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/10/01/twitch-and-amazon-announce-twitch-prime

Amazon has added something called Twitch Prime to the list of benefits that come from being an Amazon Prime member. They already included free 2 day shipping, Prime video streaming, Prime music streaming, 20% off pre-orders and new release video games, and the kindle prime library. Since I use every one of those services I have gotten a lot out of my Prime subscription and since I still have access to my .edu email address even though I graduated from college 6 years ago I only have to pay $50 per year for a Prime student subscription.

To get Twitch Prime all you do is link your Amazon account to your Twitch account. This removes advertisements when you watch streams on Twitch. It also lets you subscribe to one Twitch streamer for free very month. Supposedly the streamers still get paid the same amount of money as if you had subscribed the old fashioned way and you still get the same subscription benefits as all other subscribers.

I don't care too much about that stuff because I don't watch things on Twitch very often and there isn't really anyone I would care to subscribe to. The lack of commercials will be nice for watching things like E3 conferences on Twitch though and I'm sure Prime members who do watch a lot of Twitch content will really like this.

The reason I linked my Twitch account to my Prime account is because there is going to be a free digital game or item for a game for Twitch Prime members every month. This month you get the newest playable here from Hearthstone and they have already announced that the next offerings will be a Smite skin and a game called Streamline.

That's a cool looking X-Box.. :)

GEARS OF WAR 4 SPECIAL EDITION XBOX ONE S CONSOLE UNBOXING

. 90 of that is from Infinite Warfare. They think it's because of the added textures for the PS4 PRO. You'd think it'd be smarter to make two separate versions, one regular and one "High Res" pack.

I hope they set up an early pre-load for that. I'm getting that digitally and 130 GB transfer across my house is going to take a while. May have to move back to my router for a hardwire connection.

Last edited by a moderator:
. 90 of that is from Infinite Warfare. They think it's because of the added textures for the PS4 PRO. You'd think it'd be smarter to make two separate versions, one regular and one "High Res" pack.

I hope they set up an early pre-load for that. I'm getting that digitally and 130 GB transfer across my house is going to take a while. May have to move back to my router for a hardwire connection.

I can see the point in making the standard and pro versions one disc because it's not practical to expect stores to keep two versions of every retail game on their shelves. For downloads you are absolutely right though. They should be able to figure out how to only download the higher res, PS4 Pro assets if you actually have a PS4 Pro.

In this case there isn't much reason to buy a physical copy because the limit for PS4's blu-ray game capacity is 50GB. That means that even people who buy a physical copy are going to have to download a larger portion of the game than they get from the actual disc.

Physical copies are still looking at an 80GB download unless Activision decides to include 3 blu-rays in the box for installation. I doubt they are going to though since I haven't heard of any other games including multiple discs on PS4 or Xbox One. The games that don't fit on a disc typically just make you download the part that doesn't fit.

It would also be nice if they let you do it like Steam handles the COD games and allow you to only install the portion of the game you want. That way you could uninstall the campaign when you are done with it and only have the multiplayer portion taking up space on your HDD.

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as I can tell, there's no reason why they couldn't just make the Pro textures a free DLC pack. You don't need to include them in the game if they're not being used. And to be fair, the source has clarified that it isn't 100% confirmed that the high space is due to higher textures. That's just the current theory.

Edit: Went to check how much space I had on my PS4. Surprisingly I didn't have enough space. Had to clear out a bunch of unused games, saved files, and captures. One thing that REALLY annoyed me was when I looked at how much space the Amazon Video app takes up. It's almost 3 gigabytes big! Really? I have games that aren't even that big! What possible reason could there be to make a video front end that big, especially when you consider Netflix is less than 2 GB and the WWE and YouTube apps are less than 500 MB?

Having IW and MW is going to be a bit of an albatross on my HDD. I really don't feel like buying a new one and installing it, but given how few PS4 games I'm in the mood to play at a given time, I may just be more selective with what's on it.

Last edited:
Well, this doesn't really mean anything. Assuming all goes well we're probably a good 3+ years out from seeing anything. And that's if by some miracle this can avoid the pre-production hell that the majority of video game movies fall into (Halo, Uncharted, etc)

Activision has confirmed that Infinite Warfare with Modern Warfare Remastered is 130 GB.

What storage space is required for the Call of Duty®: Infinite Warfare Legacy, Legacy Pro or Digital Deluxe Edition?

The estimated storage space required for Call of Duty®: Infinite Warfare and Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare Remastered (Legacy, Digital Deluxe, or Legacy Pro) is a combined 130 GB. This is a high-end estimate, which includes both games, any Day 1 updates, as well as the additional Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare Remastered multiplayer maps to be released before Dec. 31, 2016.

Activision has confirmed that Infinite Warfare with Modern Warfare Remastered is 130 GB.

What storage space is required for the Call of Duty®: Infinite Warfare Legacy, Legacy Pro or Digital Deluxe Edition?

The estimated storage space required for Call of Duty®: Infinite Warfare and Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare Remastered (Legacy, Digital Deluxe, or Legacy Pro) is a combined 130 GB. This is a high-end estimate, which includes both games, any Day 1 updates, as well as the additional Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare Remastered multiplayer maps to be released before Dec. 31, 2016.

For those of you who have a PS4 with the stock, 500GB HDD that's 32% of your usable 407GB of space. It's even worse for Xbox One owners where it's 36% of your 362GB of usable space.

These consoles really should have shipped with a minimum of 1TB drives considering that even disc based games have to be installed to the hard drive to play and install sizes are getting huge. Luckily it's pretty easy to expand your storage on both consoles.

I do wish that PS4 would just give people an external memory option. Yes I realize that replacing a HDD isn't rocket science but I much prefer to just plug something in, format it, and then get more storage as a result. I also like how it basically means you have portable games, and can just install everything to your External drive and bring it over to your friend's house and just login with your account to play. Also, with an external you at least get to keep the starting HDD. I got a 1TB drive for my Xbox, bringing my storage to 1.5TB. If I get a 1TB HDD for the PS4 I'm only getting the new 1TB. Then I'm stuck with a standard 500 GB drive that maybe I can buy a case for to make into another external drive for something else. Also I won't be able to play PT anymore, but again I just have that game still to say F*cKonami..

Sadly though with my stock HDD it does mean I need to be more careful with what I install. Also, it's going to be more taxing for me since I got the Season Pass so the game will need even MORE space to accommodate all the DLC. Maybe I can pick up a cheap HDD during Cyber Monday, along with my renegade SSD that I plan on getting for my work laptop because I'm sick and tired of my computer running like crap.

I do wish that PS4 would just give people an external memory option. Yes I realize that replacing a HDD isn't rocket science but I much prefer to just plug something in, format it, and then get more storage as a result. I also like how it basically means you have portable games, and can just install everything to your External drive and bring it over to your friend's house and just login with your account to play. Also, with an external you at least get to keep the starting HDD. I got a 1TB drive for my Xbox, bringing my storage to 1.5TB. If I get a 1TB HDD for the PS4 I'm only getting the new 1TB. Then I'm stuck with a standard 500 GB drive that maybe I can buy a case for to make into another external drive for something else. Also I won't be able to play PT anymore, but again I just have that game still to say F*cKonami..

Sadly though with my stock HDD it does mean I need to be more careful with what I install. Also, it's going to be more taxing for me since I got the Season Pass so the game will need even MORE space to accommodate all the DLC. Maybe I can pick up a cheap HDD during Cyber Monday, along with my renegade SSD that I plan on getting for my work laptop because I'm sick and tired of my computer running like crap.

If PT is one of the things holding you back from upgrading your PS4's drive, you should check out this guide that shows you how to back up the contents of your original drive to an external before doing the upgrade.

http://www.gamesradar.com/how-to-upgrade-PS4-hard-drive/

Since I only had my PS4 for about 2 days before upgrading the drive I didn't bother with a backup. I just swapped out the drive, reinstalled the games I was still playing, and downloaded my saves from the cloud. If I was doing it now I would have done it the way the guide suggests though.

The Xbox One option is definitely simpler. All you do is plug in the external drive, it formats itself, and you are good to go. There are downsides to only letting you expand storage with an external drive though.

The main one for me is that it takes up a USB port. This normally isn't a problem for me with the 3 USB ports on Xbox but during the brief period when I was playing a lot of Guitar Hero Live it was. I had my external drive and Turtle Beach wireless headset taking up the two USB ports on the back of my Xbox One and the wireless dongle for the guitar taking up the side USB port. This meant that every time I wanted to charge my Xbox One controller I had to unplug the guitar dongle to free up a port.

Permanently taking up a USB port on PS4 would be a problem for more people since that console only has 2 of them and the controller charge only lasts about 6 hours. If you use even a single USB accessory (headsets, PS VR, racing wheel, etc) and an external HDD you would be out of ports and have to unplug something every time you want to charge your controller.

Another problem for me would be Sony's design decision to put the only 2 USB ports in the front, center of the console instead of including rear USB ports. My Xbox One external drive is plugged into one of the rear ports and the drive itself sits behind the console. You can't even tell I have one plugged in. If PS4 used external drives instead of allowing us to replace the internal drive I would always have a USB cable sticking out of the front of my console. Since I try to keep my entertainment center as clutter free as possible this would really annoy me.

Of course, both of my problems could have been solved with a better design that includes 2 more USB ports in the rear of the PS4. Unfortunately they doubled down on this design with the PS4 slim. It still only has 2 USB ports and they are both in the front. It looks like the PS4 Pro design does include a 3rd USB port in the rear for those permanent PSVR setups.

Playstation Classic Game Console w/Enhancements

PSN Network ID

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)