X-Box, Playstation, and Wii Game News

War is hell...

I prefer the shorter version of this that I saw on Twitter today. More terribleness is great but I think this short cut really drives the point home with some solid editing.

I also saw a little of this during my own time with the beta. On several occasions I saw a plane crash into the ground and remain standing straight up and down on it's nose propeller. It would spin in circles for about 5 seconds before finally exploding.

Bethesda's VP of PR and Marketing was "surprised" at how much people liked the single player part of Doom 4.

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/doom_...ow_much_people_liked_dooms_single-player.html

That's REALLY sad if you think about it. It shows how out of touch he (and probably others) are. You don't want PR and Marketing to NOT KNOW their market!

Well, they definitely marketed the multiplayer portion more than they probably should have. The pre-order bonuses were all unlocks for multiplayer and they had a big push around their open multiplayer beta. They also tried to push their season pass that was all multiplayer content pretty hard at release.

After playing it, I don't think the multiplayer was bad but it also wasn't anything special. I think most people would have been completely fine with it if Bethesda followed Wolfenstein's lead and just didn't include multiplayer. I wouldn't be surprised to see them do that whenever they make another Doom sequel.

Well, they definitely marketed the multiplayer portion more than they probably should have. The pre-order bonuses were all unlocks for multiplayer and they had a big push around their open multiplayer beta. They also tried to push their season pass that was all multiplayer content pretty hard at release.

After playing it, I don't think the multiplayer was bad but it also wasn't anything special. I think most people would have been completely fine with it if Bethesda followed Wolfenstein's lead and just didn't include multiplayer. I wouldn't be surprised to see them do that whenever they make another Doom sequel.
What I take more issue with is that he didn't think that people would like a game where you, as Angry Joe put it "Go Down to Hell and Punch Satan in the D*ck" wouldn't be fun. I mean given the success of the Wolfenstein games you'd think he'd expect that people would like a more intense version of that. It's people like this that make the decisions as to what games are made and what are not. That's why the last gen was swamped with Gunmetal Grey/CoD Ripoff games, because people in marketing just looked at how successful CoD was and assumed people wanted more of that. It's like they forgot what made the genre popular in the first place, which was colorful power fantasy one-man army types of games. It would be like if, due to the success of Chipotle, 95% of new Mexican restaurants opened were clones of that. I'm not saying CoD and "realistic military shooters" don't deserve a place at the table, but they also shouldn't be the only choice at the buffet. It's only recently that we've seen a shift to other art and game styles such as Overwatch, Borderlands, and Titanfall. We can only hope that now we can move back to an emphasis on true "Fun" gameplay.

I think the actual quote is important for context too. I think the wording the author used in his headline makes Pete Hines sound worse than what he actually said.

If you are at Bethesda and play the single-player, you might think it's really fun and different. But you don't know if you're drinking your own kool-aid... is it really fun? Or are people going to play it and dislike the fact there's no voiced protagonist, or the fact there's no real story, and will they say: 'id Software hasn't got out of the 1990s. Same old, same old. 6/10'. You never know which of those two scenarios you'll end up getting.

When I read that quote I don't get the idea that this is some marketing guy who doesn't understand video games. In fact, it's kind of the opposite. He knows enough to know that Doom is completely different than every other popular, modern FPS game. He knows that it has more in common with shooters from the 90s than what is popular now. I think the point of his quote was that he didn't know if reviewers would give it a bad score because it is not what they expect from a modern shooter.

According to a source, Battleborn will be F2P in the near future

http://kotaku.com/source-battleborn...m_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow

Randy Pitchford has said that there are NOT plans to convert Battleborn to F2P.

However, it looks like there ARE plans for a "trial" version coming where you can start off playing for free, and then upgrade to a "full" version.

In case anyone was wondering how BB is doing in terms of player numbers, I can't speak for Consoles but for PC it has an average of less than 350 players. That's bad in general, but for a game that's less than 6 months old that was hyped up as much as it was, it's nothing short of embarrassing. It did see a noticeable bump when it went to $15 on Humble Bundle to where the player base was quadrupled, but the fact that it didn't stay shows that price isn't the barrier to people playing; it's the game itself. There's fundamental issues with it if people aren't playing it when it's available for so cheap (It regularly goes for $20-$40 new.) But really it's clear that they need to do more than just make the game F2P. And even though I think Randy Pitchford is a complete douchebag (seriously, look it up, he's a dick and has even argued with me personally on Twitter) I don't wish for this game to do bad.

As some people have pointed out though, with Paladins now making waves as a colorful F2P FPS MOBA style game, Battleborn may have yet another uphill battle if it decides to go F2P.

Playstation Classic Game Console w/Enhancements

PSN Network ID

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)