X-Box, Playstation, and Wii Game News

But will they be 3-D? I actually re-bought Arkham Asylum when the GOTY 3-D version came out for those special TriOviz 3-D glasses included in the box. After a couple of hours of playing, I had one of the worst headaches I've ever had and will never look at anything 3-D ever again. :p

Is Microsoft about to launch an upgraded Xbox One?

http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/19/11457546/xbox-one-hardware-upgrade-rumors

Rumors of an updated PlayStation 4 have been making the rounds over the past few weeks. Giant Bomb reports that the "PS4.5" is codenamed Neo, and that the refreshed model will include a faster CPU, improved GPU, and higher bandwidth memory. While Sony's console plans are the source of much debate, Microsoft's Xbox chief Phil Spencer dropped hints recently that the company isn't interested in creating an "Xbox One and a half."

"I'm not a big fan of Xbox One and a half. If we're going to move forward, I want to move forward in big numbers," Spencer said, during a roundtable discussion withGameinformer. "If we're going to go forward with anything, like I said, I want it to be a really substantial change for people —?? an upgrade." Any substantial change could involve VR support or even Microsoft's new HoloLens headset, and hardware improvements would be required. Most reports suggested Spencer's comments shot down any potential for an upgraded Xbox One, but that might not be the case.

NeoGAF member ekim discovered several filings with the Federal Communications Commission recently that show Microsoft is testing a new Xbox One wireless chip with a new model number. The FCC approves devices like the Xbox One, and it has often revealed new phones ahead of their launch. While there are no photos of the new Xbox One model, external photos and other key details are being kept under a non-disclosure agreement (NDA) between Microsoft and the FCC. That agreement (to keep details secret) expires on June 25th, 12 days after Microsoft's Xbox press conference at E3 this year. Anatel, the Brazilian equivalent of the FCC isn't as strict at adhering to NDAs, and has published a photograph of the new Xbox One wireless chipset.

Sources familiar with Microsoft's Xbox plans have revealedto The Verge that the company has been testing a variety of prototype Xbox devices. Some of the prototypes have been tested with upgraded components you'd use to improve the performance of a PC gaming rig. It's not clear if and when Microsoft intends to launch an upgraded Xbox One, but Phil Spencer has already hinted the company will "come out with new hardware capability during a generation" that supports existing and future titles. A new wireless chip could be just a small part of the optional hardware upgrades to the Xbox One that Microsoft is planning.

Sony’s upgraded 'Neo' PS4 will reportedly have smoother games and better graphics

http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/19/11457182/sony-upgraded-ps4-neo-codename-better-graphics

Sony's upcoming 4K PlayStation 4 is codenamed NEO, and will boast better processor speed, memory bandwidth, and graphics capabilities than the standard PS4 available now, Giant Bomb reports. From October, publishers will be required to ship PS4 games with both a "base" mode for play on the regular PS4 console, and a "Neo" mode that can take advantage of hardware upgrades to increase graphical quality and boost frame rates. The upgraded console is to be capable of outputting in 4K resolutions, but Giant Bombcites documents that apparently say that games don't have to be 4K native.

The existence of the upgraded console — often colloquially called the "PS4.5" — was rumored last month. Sony has yet to confirm that the project is in the works, but the reports indicated that it would see release before the company released its PS VR headset in October, the increased power from the "PS4.5" making it easier to run hardware-intensive VR games on the console. The codenames would certainly fit, with the Neo to PS VR's "Morpheus," but that upgraded hardware won't mean that PS4 Neo owners get exclusive VR modes, though — Giant Bomb says games must have peripheral parity, so if a title doesn't offer VR support in its "base" iteration, it won't do in its Neo version either.

PS4 GAMES WILL REPORTEDLY NEED TO HAVE "BASE" AND "NEO" MODES

That move is one of several that Sony is reportedly making to keep PS4 and PS4 Neo owners on an even keel. The company's documentation reportedly states that there will be no Neo-only games, owners of both versions of the console will continue to use the same PlayStation Store, and publishers are barred from offering special features or downloadable content to owners of one type of console. Crucially, players of both the original PS4 and PS4 Neo and will be able to play alongside each other on PlayStation Network.

OLDER GAMES CAN BE UPGRADED WITH NEO CAPABILITIES WITH PATCHES

Games released in October will need to have a Neo mode, but publishers and developers will also be able to upgrade their older games through patches, theoretically making them run better on the newer hardware. Games released in late September will need to have a day-one patch ready to go that brings them up to Neo level. Giant Bomb specifies that although October is the point at which the new Neo rules will come in, the updated console may not be released by then, simply that games must be ready for its arrival.

No price has been locked in for the new PS4 yet, but previous reports indicated it would retail for $399 — the original price of the "base" PS4. An upgraded console is expected to drive this down further, giving consumers the choice between the cheaper, older console, and the newer-but-more-expensive Neo. For gamers, this approach seems fair, but the advantages higher framerates offer in some competitive games might force multiplayer-oriented gamers toward the new console. For others happy with their existing console, the rules reported this week shouldn't split the community, making the Neo a luxury purchase for those invested in either VR or 4K, rather than a necessary one for all players.

Until Sony or Microsoft confirm any of these rumors I couldn't care less.

In other, more concrete news, Mafia 3 has a new trailer and a release date.

Hey everyone! Remember that classic Rambo game from 2014? Well assuming you didn't sell it or throw it in a fire to remove any evidence that you actually spent money on the thing, you'll be happy to know that the developers have just released new DLC for free which brings in new missions, new characters, and new weapons!

I think Angry Joe summed up everyone's reaction to it quite well here:

And if you need a reminder as to why this game was so awful:

HBO Now comes to the Xbox One

http://www.engadget.com/2016/04/21/hbo-now-xbox-one/

It's already available on all of the devices that cord cutters like to shove under their TVs, but HBO Now was underrepresented in the console stakes. Now, however, that's set to change after the Game of Thrones maker announced that its on-demand platform has come to the Xbox One. Much like the other platforms the service has already come to, users can pay $14.99 and get all of that premium TV content from John Oliver through toVeep without a cable subscription. And look, HBO made the announcement just in time for that show everyone loves (to pirate) comes back.

So....someone at Amazon thought it would be a good idea to lock top game releases behind Amazon Prime, meaning that if you don't have Prime, you can't buy various popular games from Amazon directly. Note, this isn't like the other deal where you were allowed discounts on preorders. You just flat out can NOT buy certain games from Amazon unless you have Prime. You CAN still get them from a 3rd party seller via Amazon, but still... I wouldn't be surprised if this doesn't hold up. It's not like Amazon is the only place to get games nowadays. I wouldn't be surprised to see them stop this before the weekend is over.

http://www.engadget.com/2016/04/22/amazon-prime-game-restriction/?sr_source=Facebook

I have to think this was a mistake. As far as I know a Prime subscription isn't required to buy anything else from Amazon. It seems unlikely that they would single out games. My guess is that this will be fixed very soon.

It's already been fixed:
"Update: Some of the UK listings are starting to switch back, suggesting the Prime block was a mistake. At the time of writing Grand Theft Auto V remains Prime-only in the US, however. Our original article follows below."

I have to think this was a mistake. As far as I know a Prime subscription isn't required to buy anything else from Amazon. It seems unlikely that they would single out games. My guess is that this will be fixed very soon.

I'm not sure that's the case because VideoGamer.com were the ones that originally broke this story. When they asked Amazon about it, they replied with this:

UPDATE: Amazon has provided VideoGamer.com with the following statement in response to this story:

"One of the many benefits of Amazon Prime is access to exclusive selection on a number of great products. Customers who are not Prime members can sign-up for a 30-day free trial of Amazon Prime, or they can purchase those items from a Marketplace seller."

That doesn't exactly sound like an "Opps! Our Bad" type of response to me..Maybe the person didn't understand the question or something, but I get the feeling Amazon tried to do something and gauge customer reaction, and when they saw the huge backlash they quickly backtracked.

I hope you all enjoyed the Dark Soul series, because 3 marks the end of it according to the director.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/04/27/dark-souls-developer-already-working-on-new-ip/

"There’s absolutely no plan right now for any sequels, spin-offs or tie-ins. But I can’t say for certain the possibility is 0%. For example, if a From Software developer come to me five years from now and beg ‘please let me make another Dark Souls‘. Then I will not rule out the possibility to let my subordinates start a new project. What is certain for now is, to me personally Dark Souls is over."

I wonder if that includes Bloodborne. The author of the article speculates that it probably does but he didn't specifically say that. It seemed like Bloodborne did pretty well for Sony and I have to think they want sequels, especially because their exclusive AAA lineup has been pretty lacking compared to Microsoft so far this generation.

Playstation Classic Game Console w/Enhancements

PSN Network ID

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)