X-Box, Playstation, and Wii Game News

So Microsoft just launched an initiative to have true cross platform gaming. Rocket League (which was recently released for the One) will allow One players to play against PC gamers. Currently PS4 players can play against PC gamers, and this will allow One players to play against PC gamers, but not One players with PS4 players. However, with this initiative such a thing could be possible where PS4 players could play One players, assuming the developers (read: the publishers) want to implement it.

http://www.destructoid.com/microsof...ge-bomb-open-cross-platform-play-348579.phtml

I'm really glad to see this. If nothing else it increases the player base and helps the game continue to stay relevant longer on all three platforms.

I do wish they would have just put all 3 platforms into one pool. It seems a bit weird that PC players can be matched with other PC players, PS4 players, and Xbox One players but PS4 and Xbox One players cannot be matched together. If anything it seems like Matchmaking would be easier if it was one pool instead of segregating PS4 and Xbox One while letting PC players be sent to either pool.

I also wonder what they are going to do with the Xbox One exclusive vehicles. The PS4 has the Sweet Tooth van and they don't show it on PC. There is a generic van option on PC without the clown head and they just show that instead.

There really isn't anything on PC (or PS4) that looks like the Warthog or Gears of War vehicles on Xbox One though.

Either way this is cool of Microsoft and I can see it really helping out games on PC that typically get smaller audiences than the console versions. Games like Titanfall and Evolve had problems holding on to a player base after launch on PC. It's too late to help those games now but future PC games like them could really benefit from from being able to take advantage of the player base on Xbox One. Even a game like COD could benefit from this on the PC side but console players may not like the aim advantage PC players would have.

I'm really glad to see this. If nothing else it increases the player base and helps the game continue to stay relevant longer on all three platforms.

I do wish they would have just put all 3 platforms into one pool. It seems a bit weird that PC players can be matched with other PC players, PS4 players, and Xbox One players but PS4 and Xbox One players cannot be matched together. If anything it seems like Matchmaking would be easier if it was one pool instead of segregating PS4 and Xbox One while letting PC players be sent to either pool.

I also wonder what they are going to do with the Xbox One exclusive vehicles. The PS4 has the Sweet Tooth van and they don't show it on PC. There is a generic van option on PC without the clown head and they just show that instead.

There really isn't anything on PC (or PS4) that looks like the Warthog or Gears of War vehicles on Xbox One though.

Either way this is cool of Microsoft and I can see it really helping out games on PC that typically get smaller audiences than the console versions. Games like Titanfall and Evolve had problems holding on to a player base after launch on PC. It's too late to help those games now but future PC games like them could really benefit from from being able to take advantage of the player base on Xbox One. Even a game like COD could benefit from this on the PC side but console players may not like the aim advantage PC players would have.

Yeah this sounds great but I can see where folks on the PC side would have a big advantage so people on consoles would just have to get use to it is all. :)

Yeah this sounds great but I can see where folks on the PC side would have a big advantage so people on consoles would just have to get use to it is all. :)
No what would probably happen is games where this is an issue, those games would not get cross play, such as FPS games. But something like Rocket League or other sports games would be pretty equal as having extra precision isn't going to make a huge difference (if any even exists.)

No what would probably happen is games where this is an issue, those games would not get cross play, such as FPS games. But something like Rocket League or other sports games would be pretty equal as having extra precision isn't going to make a huge difference (if any even exists.)

Part of the release even said that you would have the option to limit yourself to Xbox One matchmaking in cross play games if you wanted. Like I said in a previous post, I would pre-order Gears of War 4 if it came out on PC on day one and had cross-play functionality so I could play with friends on Xbox.

I understand that this might cause issues with competitive multiplayer but it would be awesome for horde mode and co-op campaign. As long as people have an option to disable cross play so they only get matched with other Xbox players I think it would be fine.

I suppose, but also some companies may find it more trouble than it's worth. A lot of this smells of an opportunity for good PR for Microsoft, because if Sony says "Yes", then Microsoft reaps the rewards of opening up the possibility in the first place and being seen as the pioneers of cross-platform playing (disregarding the fact that Live has been a notoriously closed system historically.) And if Sony says "No" then Microsoft can be like, "Well gee, we're just trying to make games more fun and let you play with your friends but Sony wants to be a bunch of sticks in the mud!"

Then again in this day and age the companies may just go for it, seeing how Sony and Microsoft are barely even "rivals" nowadays. At this point it's just bragging rights, as opposed to a real console "war" like we saw back in the day. Even before the "infamous" wars between Nintendo and Sega, Atari and other companies would CONSTANTLY advertise ways in which their systems were better than the competition, with real world data to bolster their claims (screen shots, game counts, etc.) When's the last time you saw an ad or even a statement by Sony or Microsoft that said "Here's why our system is better than theirs"? The only one I can remember is this, and this barely counts IMO because they didn't even mention the name of the company they were bashing (even though it was obvious if you were in the know)

But yeah if this were to become a reality it would be cool, but it'll only flourish if developers agree and can implement it well. I mean I really hope this becomes reality, but at this point I'm not holding my breath. And I'm barely even entertaining the possibility of Nintendo going along with this. Assuming they ever get proper AAA 3rd party support I don't see Nintendo allowing their gamers to enjoy this, because if Nintendo has proven anything over its lifetime its that openness and updating their policies is something they don't need to be a part of.

Playstation Vue goes nationwide starting at $30/mo. I can get everything I need, including the local Fox Sports channel that carries all my home team's MLB games, for $35. My cable contract is up this month. Very tempted. The biggest problem is the lack of local broadcast networks, though ABC, NBC and Fox network programs are available on demand. They say they are working on adding CBS. It's surprising Sony couldn't get such a minor network as CW, and all its programming that fits perfect with the gaming demographic, on board. All those CW shows are ending up on Netflix anyway. I'd just have to wait a bit for the new seasons to get added. I guess it doesn't hurt to at least check out the 7-day trial.

The thing I like about PS Vue over Sling TV is the cloud DVR function, and the fact I already have two devices in my house ready to stream.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016...-nationwide-starting-at-29-99-in-new-markets/

There is quite a bit of discussion about this in one of the streaming threads. It would be relevant here too though.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/thr...wide-starting-at-29-99-in-new-markets.358874/

I agree with you. It sounds like a really good option. The $35 with my local RSN would be perfect for me. I don't mind the lack of the broadcast networks because I can get them all OTA and I have a Tivo with lifetime service.

The cloud DVR takes care of the main problem I would have with Sling TV and the packages offered are more appealing to me. Right now I get a nice cable package that includes pretty much everything in Dish AT 250 plus HBO, Showtime, and Cinemax for $40 more than I pay for internet alone. I think it's worth the extra $5 to me to keep real cable but if they ever quit extending this promo for me I would definitely switch to Playstation Vue.

There is quite a bit of discussion about this in one of the streaming threads. It would be relevant here too though.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/thr...wide-starting-at-29-99-in-new-markets.358874/

I agree with you. It sounds like a really good option. The $35 with my local RSN would be perfect for me. I don't mind the lack of the broadcast networks because I can get them all OTA and I have a Tivo with lifetime service.

The cloud DVR takes care of the main problem I would have with Sling TV and the packages offered are more appealing to me. Right now I get a nice cable package that includes pretty much everything in Dish AT 250 plus HBO, Showtime, and Cinemax for $40 more than I pay for internet alone. I think it's worth the extra $5 to me to keep real cable but if they ever quit extending this promo for me I would definitely switch to Playstation Vue.

Thanks for the link.

I didn't realize you were back with cable. (I seem to recall you being a cord-cutter a couple years ago.) Sounds like a great deal, though. PS Vue at least gives me good leverage when I negotiate a new cable contract in the coming weeks. With PS Vue's pricing, I can get everything I need (landline phone, internet, and TV) for less than $150 between my cable company and PS Vue. So if Cox doesn't come close to that, I'm done. Losing Fox Sports San Diego and 150+ Padres games was the biggest draw back of cord-cutting for me. I can get CBS, CW, and PBS OTA, but it's a pain and I'd rather not have to switch TV inputs just for those channels except for a major sporting event, like NFL games on CBS.

Thanks for the link.

I didn't realize you were back with cable. (I seem to recall you being a cord-cutter a couple years ago.) Sounds like a great deal, though. PS Vue at least gives me good leverage when I negotiate a new cable contract in the coming weeks. With PS Vue's pricing, I can get everything I need (landline phone, internet, and TV) for less than $150 between my cable company and PS Vue. So if Cox doesn't come close to that, I'm done. Losing Fox Sports San Diego and 150+ Padres games was the biggest draw back of cord-cutting for me. I can get CBS, CW, and PBS OTA, but it's a pain and I'd rather not have to switch TV inputs just for those channels except for a major sporting event, like NFL games on CBS.

Yeah, I was a cord cutter for about 2 years. I was happy with OTA through a Tivo and streaming. When my internet promos ran out I called for a better deal and they offered me a double play with that package.

Basically my choices were 60Mbps internet for $60 or TV and internet for $102 including taxes and CableCard fee. For $40 cable is worth it to me especially with all those premium networks included. After a year they tried to bump me up to $140. I called to cancel the TV portion and go back to OTA and Streaming but they quickly offered me the same deal again for another year. As long as they keep that up I'll stick with their TV service.

Yeah, I was a cord cutter for about 2 years. I was happy with OTA through a Tivo and streaming. When my internet promos ran out I called for a better deal and they offered me a double play with that package.

Basically my choices were 60Mbps internet for $60 or TV and internet for $102 including taxes and CableCard fee. For $40 cable is worth it to me especially with all those premium networks included. After a year they tried to bump me up to $140. I called to cancel the TV portion and go back to OTA and Streaming but they quickly offered me the same deal again for another year. As long as they keep that up I'll stick with their TV service.

I guess it pays to call the cable co's bluff and cut the cord at least for a year to get that new member pricing. It also helps to already have your own box. I don't like to think about what I pay in monthly box rental and DVR service fees.

Thanks for the tip in the other thread about Ooma. I'll need to look into that if I do cut the cord because my landline phone is tied to my business and I've had than phone number since 1994.

Reactions: king3pj
I cut the cord years ago but still had basic cable for about 2 years until they went "all digital" and cut off the tv feeds coming through the internet line. Since then my stuff has been Netflix/Hulu/Torrents/Prime with an OTA antenna.

Lineup doesn't look too bad. I like the idea of having all my live TV on connected devices other than just my TV. If I got this I'd likely cancel my Hulu subscription.

Uh oh.. looks like there's restrictions on USA, and I'm willing to bet that has to do with WWE stuff, which is what I'd only be watching on USA. That'd be a dealbreaker. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try the 7 day trial.

Microsoft bets big on HDR for the future of DirectX 12; coming to Insiders this year

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsof...re-of-directx-12-coming-to-insiders-this-year

In terms of gaming on Windows and game development in general, Microsoft has been very focused on DirectX 12. But the new API, currently available on Windows 10 and the Xbox One, still has some way to go before it’s where Microsoft and developers want it to be. So it’s no wonder the company held a conference at GDC detailing the improvements planned for the future of DirectX 12.

While, in general, Microsoft said the adoption of DirectX 12 was huge and that the company was working on improving both stability and performance, one feature that was focused on was support for HDR. Many of you may be familiar with this technology as it relates to still photography; most smartphones use it to make photos look crisper and with better color reproduction.

But Microsoft is focused on supporting HDR in games and media, which will be displayed on computer or TV screens. In those scenarios HDR mainly comes down to displaying some things brighter than others. And you measure that brightness in “nits”.

Most TV screens, as well as laptop displays and computer monitors have a brightness of only 300-400 nits. But HDR TVs are showing up in the market offering brightness of 1000 nits, and that will likely go up quickly in the next few years.

Microsoft is betting big that HDR displays will be much more popular in the near future compared to 4K screens or those that offer a wider color gamut. The company believes this will happen due to consumers seeing the big difference between regular displays and HDR displays, a difference in quality that’s harder to spot when comparing your 1080p screen to a 4K one.

As such Microsoft believes HDR displays will quickly become very popular and it wants to let developers target these displays with better content that keeps users coming back.

This is important because displays that offer a high range of luminosity improve the quality of what’s being displayed dramatically. A good example in a game would be this one: when looking at something white, the player can’t really tell if that’s a white wall or the Sun – because the screen’s brightness is virtually identical in both cases. But with an HDR display and DirectX 12 you’d easily be able to differentiate between the two as the screen’s brightness would be different.

Using DirectX 12, developers will be able to target these displays and add that extra layer of detail over their graphics. This could lead to some really impressive games, not to mention make them look much more realistic.

Microsoft says it will support two formats, one that goes up to 5.2 million nits and one that’s much closer to home, with up to 10,000 nits. Of course, these will be supported both on Xbox One and Windows PCs, and arguably phones or other mobile devices.

The company will release these features to Insider builds in the second half of 2016, with them reaching end-users in 2017, likely in the second wave of Redstone updates.

Source: Dual Shockers

JackBox games just announced that the JackBox Party Pack 3 is coming in the fall, and Drawful 2 is coming this spring.

http://www.geekscape.net/jackbox-games-announces-drawful-2-the-jackbox-party-pack-3

Not sure why they're bothering doing a separate release of Drawful 2. Everyone'll just wait until the Party Pack comes out and get it with that instead.

I kind of wish they would stop releasing full Party Pack sequels and let me buy expansions for the one I already have instead. I like the idea of having a larger pool of topics for games like Drawful in one game better than having two separate games.

Nuk3Town is now free for everyone with Black Ops 3

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/call-of-duty-black-ops-3s-nuketown-map-now-free-fo/1100-6435869/

Honestly, seeing this was the only thing that really made me smile today. Had another awful day at work (king3pj knows more about this than he likely cares to admit to) and I turned on BO3 to wind down and playing NT was just so much fun.

I probably should have had Nuketown from the beginning since I pre-ordered the game but I'm not sure I've played the Black Ops 3 version of it. The friend I play with only wants to play hardcore kill confirmed and I'm thinking it must not have been in the regular rotation for that mode for some reason. Now that everyone has it hopefully it will be included.

Playstation Classic Game Console w/Enhancements

PSN Network ID

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)