Video Game Deals

Bunch of good deals today. Biggest one is Doom 4, which is on sale for $40 on Amazon and Best Buy, BUT you can get it for $32 if you're a GCU member of BB, which I am, so I'm getting it today. Nice to know my patience resulted in me getting a great game for nearly 50% off. And again folks, it's $30 for a 2 year membership which results in 20% off ALL games. Well, ALMOST all games. They changed the TOS recently so that now, Black Friday deals are not eligible. Still, that's a small concession to give IMO.

Doom 4 BB
Doom 4 Amazon

Fallout 4 Amazon $30 (all versions)

Mega Man Legacy Collection $20 BB

For some reason, the Xbox One version of Limbo is free.

https://store.xbox.com/en-US/Xbox-One/Games/LIMBO/3cc55383-1ab0-46c9-bd04-0d4bb5921d6a

Also, Tekken Tag Tournament 2 is also free for Gold Members. It appears that this is also BC.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/P...NAMENT-2/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8024e4d0859

Both of these were announced during the Microsoft press conference. The creators of Limbo have a new game coming to Xbox One and Tekken 7 is also coming. Both of these free games were put up as part of the announcement for the new games.

sound-like-an-idiot.gif

Probably to correspond with the Resident Evil 7 announcement.

On a random note, it seems like now they're including both names in these games, Resident Evil and Biohazard (Biohazard is the original name of the series from Japan, but the name had to be changed due to copyright reasons.) I feel like the name doesn't make sense anymore, especially since it looks like the newest game seems to be more horror based that the originals (traditionally, the "zombies" in Resident Evil games were created by a virus of some type, usually human created, hence the name "Biohazard.") Guess that name recognition means a lot to them. I'll try out the demo tonight and see what direction they're bringing the game in. Looks a lot closer to P.T. than traditional RE games, especially the last 3 games.

Probably to correspond with the Resident Evil 7 announcement.

On a random note, it seems like now they're including both names in these games, Resident Evil and Biohazard (Biohazard is the original name of the series from Japan, but the name had to be changed due to copyright reasons.) I feel like the name doesn't make sense anymore, especially since it looks like the newest game seems to be more horror based that the originals (traditionally, the "zombies" in Resident Evil games were created by a virus of some type, usually human created, hence the name "Biohazard.") Guess that name recognition means a lot to them. I'll try out the demo tonight and see what direction they're bringing the game in. Looks a lot closer to P.T. than traditional RE games, especially the last 3 games.

If it's anything like the teaser video they showed off last night it looks genuinely scary. I understand that people thought this way about the original Resident Evil game but from what I saw in our short time with Resident Evil 5 co-op there wasn't anything remotely scary about it.

Since I am too much of a wimp for straight horror games I'm probably a lot less likely to play RE7 than RE4 or 5. I'm okay with a more action oriented approach. Games that have horror elements but allow me to fight back don't seem to bother me (Dead Space, Metro, Bioshock, Resident Evil 5). I am not going anywhere near games like P.T., Amnesia, Outlast, SOMA (without wuss mode mod), or Resident Evil 7.

That being said, I'm happy for old school fans of the series who are finally going to get a real survival horror game again instead of another zombie action game. Of course, this is assuming that the actual game resembles what they showed off in their teaser.

If it's anything like the teaser video they showed off last night it looks genuinely scary. I understand that people thought this way about the original Resident Evil game but from what I saw in our short time with Resident Evil 5 co-op there wasn't anything remotely scary about it.

Since I am too much of a wimp for straight horror games I'm probably a lot less likely to play RE7 than RE4 or 5. I'm okay with a more action oriented approach. Games that have horror elements but allow me to fight back don't seem to bother me (Dead Space, Metro, Bioshock, Resident Evil 5). I am not going anywhere near games like P.T., Amnesia, Outlast, SOMA (without wuss mode mod), or Resident Evil 7.

That being said, I'm happy for old school fans of the series who are finally going to get a real survival horror game again instead of another zombie action game. Of course, this is assuming that the actual game resembles what they showed off in their teaser.
Well, Resident Evil is really remembered better as the first Horror B-movie style game. I mean the dialog and acting is laughably awful, and other than a few jump scares (which to be fair were very uncommon back then) it really isn't a scary game. Also, the fact is that Alone in the Dark still holds the title of the first popular Survival Horror game, although RE made it more popular since it was on consoles while AitD was just on PC.

I always found the Silent Hill games (1-3 anyways) to be much scarier since they didn't rely on jump scares but instead of would use real f-ed up stuff to mess with your mind, like the "2 towns" and the use of fog to obscure your view and the static from the radio to see where enemies were coming from brings back so many fun memories of playing in the dark with my surround sound system back in the day.

On yet another side note, I think the intro to Silent Hill is one of the best in gaming, because of how it messes with you right off the bat. I was also shocked when I saw the movie and was amazed at how well they copied it. I saw it with my girlfriend at the time and the only reason I wanted to see it was because of the video game. She wanted to see it because it was a "horror" movie. When I saw the intro I thought "Holy f*ck they're staying faithful to the game and it is awesome!" Sadly, that really is ALL I remember from the movie, along with the main character on a crucifix (which DOESN'T happen in the game) and Sean Bean doing absolutely nothing of importance. The similarities are staggering.

Last edited:
I remember kids at school talking about Resident Evil like it was the scariest thing ever and I knew I wanted no part of it. I've never played it so I can't speak to whether it really was or not. One thing that might be helpful to point out is that I just looked up the release date and I was 9 when it came out. That may explain the reputation it had with the kids at my school.

But yeah, that Silent Hill comparison video is pretty cool. I never played that game either but I remember watching the movie.

Yeah I can see that game being scary to younger people. I was 14 and it was mind blowing at the time as being the first horror based game (well, at least the first one that wasn't complete dog crap.) I also remember once I brought it over to my cousins' house and we tried to get one of them to play it who has a big fear of spiders. We started him off on this scene in hopes that it would scare him. Sadly, it didn't.

Back OT after this but I do think it would behoove you in some way to replay some of these older games, specifically Resident Evil 2 and Silent Hill 1 & 2. I mean if you could stand Until Dawn you can easily tolerate those games. Obviously this won't be in your near future due to the effort to acquire these games, but if you ever find yourself in a horror/nostalgic mood you should definitely consider these games. They're classics for a reason.

Just a general statement, but with the announcement of the XBone S, retailers are clearing out inventory of the current Xbox "VCR" model, so be on the lookout for some good deals from retailers if you don't mind the bulkier version.

Ubisoft and Uplay are doing something similar to Origin's "On The House" program where 1 game a month will be free. They're doing it for their 30 year anniversary, so they'll be releasing a "classic" every month. The first one is Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time. Highly recommend this to anyone that hasn't played it. Really resurrected the franchise 2 console generations ago, and was basically the precursor to the Assassins Creed series.

https://30years.ubi.com/en-US/operation-index

Microsoft changing XBox Live Gold plan

ps4 Question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 6)

Latest posts