New Genie Menus Coming in July

Thanks. My Mom uses the HR-54 and I hope one feature they fix in that new update that my Mom doesn't like, after she would exit the end of an episode from a series list it would automatically play the next one. Also, not sure if this is glitch but it also sometimes records an episode that you would have that you would have to pay for it, when it is set to a series recording.
People who binge watch like that feature, where it automatically goes to the next episode. All you have to do is hit exit at the end of an episode to stop it.

Reactions: Jimbo
People who binge watch like that feature, where it automatically goes to the next episode. All you have to do is hit exit at the end of an episode to stop it.
The issue is that it starts downloading if you don't have the episode recorded but it is available somewhere. So it can be an issue if you aren't paying attention and have bandwidth limits, I haven't seen it select something you have to pay for.

I prefer the approach of not doing something unless the user takes an action. DTV does the opposite and starts playing unless you tell it not to in the 5 seconds.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

The issue is that it starts downloading if you don't have the episode recorded but it is available somewhere. So it can be an issue if you aren't paying attention and have bandwidth limits, I haven't seen it select something you have to pay for.

I prefer the approach of not doing something unless the user takes an action. DTV does the opposite and starts playing unless you tell it not to in the 5 seconds.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
This is one reason I keep the wifi for the Genie DVR disconnected. When a show is over or even almost over, I like to get up and walk out of the room. Netflix and probably other platforms have a setting in the menu to either turn on or off "autoplay".

When it is released, it will be for all Genies and their clients, including the Gemini. The Gemini version has more menu options. The release will be later than expected originally. One test market will probably get it around the end of July, the rest in August after the Olympics. The software release for the Genies will be greater than 0x1B10, and will probably require the new redesigned menu be enabled separately by DIRECTV after the software is updated, but I could be wrong about that.
i am willing to bet it's for the gemini boxes and not the mini's!!! we upgraded to the gemini box this morning the rep told us to keep the 4k mini they didn't want it back.

i am willing to bet it's for the gemini boxes and not the mini's!!! we upgraded to the gemini box this morning the rep told us to keep the 4k mini they didn't want it back.
I'll take that bet, in any amount. But it wouldn't be a fair bet.
They don't want the C61K mini back because the Gemini is their preferred path forward. They are replacing C61Ks with Geminis, and the C61Ks aren't worth the shipping costs to retrieve them.

Last edited:
Reactions: John2021
I'll take that bet, in any amount. But it wouldn't be a fair bet.
They don't want the C61K mini back because the Gemini is their preferred path forward. They are replacing C61Ks with Geminis, and the C61Ks aren't worth the shipping costs to retrieve them.
that's not a fair bet at all lol since the gemini if the prefered client now and that's where there going to invest in now!! i guess i could use the old c61k in a third room during christmas

I’m surprised if the HR44 can run the same menus as the DirecTV streaming app, with all the logos. I see they just updated the apps “home” page on AppleTV and Google TV after its introduction on Roku a few months ago. I really like the app and if they could bring that to the HR44 that would even be better since we have channel number buttons and direct buttons for list.

I would be looking forward to this update. I thought when the current look came out they initially had channel logos and smaller fonts, but they did away with all the logos and I don’t know if it was more of a performance issue or a legibility issue when they thickened each row and increased the font to better align with the “10 foot user interface”.

Though there’s only one week left in July and Olympics start Friday night- I don’t think Scott’s original post title “coming in July” applies. I’m sure after the Olympics in late August through early fall this would start rolling out slowly.

Don’t wanna pull a Crowdstrike and update the entire world at the same time!

I’m surprised if the HR44 can run the same menus as the DirecTV streaming app, with all the logos. I see they just updated the apps “home” page on AppleTV and Google TV after its introduction on Roku a few months ago. I really like the app and if they could bring that to the HR44 that would even be better since we have channel number buttons and direct buttons for list.

I would be looking forward to this update. I thought when the current look came out they initially had channel logos and smaller fonts, but they did away with all the logos and I don’t know if it was more of a performance issue or a legibility issue when they thickened each row and increased the font to better align with the “10 foot user interface”.

Though there’s only one week left in July and Olympics start Friday night- I don’t think Scott’s original post title “coming in July” applies. I’m sure after the Olympics in late August through early fall this would start rolling out slowly.

I think they did take away the logos on the guide because it made the guide run slow. Good point on the font issue and that is another reason they took the logos away? Maybe they have new code in the updated guide and menus that will have the channel logos to make the guide run faster and also have a good font size?

None of the images Scott Provided indicate Logos are coming to the Genie System.

I think they did take away the logos on the guide because it made the guide run slow. Good point on the font issue and that is another reason they took the logos away? Maybe they have new code in the updated guide and menus that will have the channel logos to make the guide run faster and also have a good font size?
Where did anyone note that logos were coming to the Genie?

Ah Yeh they were 100% transparent that the hardware cant keep up with the logos
Could it have just been bad code in the software that made it guide run slow with the logos? Maybe this new update has better code and can make the guide run faster with the logos? Or I am wrong about that, and the code doesn't matter? Just the hardware needs to have a faster processer? I say this because Microsoft has designed Windows 11 to run faster and have a fast bootup on older PC's. I have a four year old PC with an i5 processor and Windows 11 runs fast and boots up fast.

Could it have just been bad code in the software that made it guide run slow with the logos? Maybe this new update has better code and can make the guide run faster with the logos? Or I am wrong about that, and the code doesn't matter? Just the hardware needs to have a faster processer? I say this because Microsoft has designed Windows 11 to run faster and have a fast bootup on older PC's. I have a four year old PC with an i5 processor and Windows 11 runs fast and boots up fast.
The software engineers back on the old cutting edge site were clear it was hardware related

In my experience the Gemini PQ, even with forced HDR on all the time, is better than the C61K.
that's my experience also the PQ is jaw dropping over the C61K. i think it's also faster to. though the server they just gave us was made march of this year might have something to do with it since my guess is that the old att boxes are wearing out by now and mines still a virgin compared to some out in the field!!! i like the fact that it sets itself up for you av system and tv by itself!!! i am happy the new hardware don't have the moronic blue globe on it :):biggrin

Reactions: b4pjoe

Directv costs

Nag Screens!