New Genie Menus Coming in July

I saw the pic b4pjoe posted and it looked just like what I use on roku and Apple TV with the logos. I didn’t notice Scott’s attachment.

We’ll see how people react to the change whenever it’s done. I personally like the recordings in a traditional list format.

I’d really like to see the 4k channels come back to the app. They’ve been missing for quite some time now.

I still have the 4K channels on the app. Channels 104, 105, and 106. If you are still missing channels go into Settings ==> Preferences and unselect Hide SD Duplicate and see if that brings them back. There is something buggy about that setting.

Question: I am Tech Support for my friend with a DirecTV DVR (sorry I can’t say which one she has) and she shot me an email saying she is getting a message about “not being able to play protected content” or something like that. I asked her to send a picture of the TV with this message displayed.

I believe it was a local market TV channel she had switched to. She has access to the OTA station via her TV’s built-in tuner, and it comes in fine. She likes watching the news by tuning in the channel on her DirecTV DVR and pausing the Live TV. She goes and does something else for a few minutes, than starts the local news event, skipping commercial as she doesn’t care for them.

I saw this new features thread and though, now I can ask if her GUI is different from before and if this started protect content error started happening when that got changed.

Last edited:
Our genie 2 is popping up a screen when we turn the TV on saying new menu and guide is on it's way!!! Anyone else seeing this screen?

Our genie 2 is popping up a screen when we turn the TV on saying new menu and guide is on it's way!!! Anyone else seeing this screen?
This is the first that I have heard of that message outside of the Denver DMA. The redesigned menus will be rolling out to customers throughout the US during August, starting after the Olympics. see this thread: DirecTV Genie Redesigned Menus

Question: I am Tech Support for my friend with a DirecTV DVR (sorry I can’t say which one she has) and she shot me an email saying she is getting a message about “not being able to play protected content” or something like that. I asked her to send a picture of the TV with this message displayed.
Okay, after getting back from vacation, I was able to witness with my eyes her DirecTV refusing to display restricted content on her Sony TV. I eventually found that connecting her DVR directly to her TV and not through her Denon AVR-E400 receiver that the message went away and her programming was available.

So, DirecTV is making her pay $400 for a new Home Theater receiver. Seems like a class action lawsuit or something, updating the Guide and breaking her TV system. She thought she pressed the wrong button or something.

Okay, after getting back from vacation, I was able to witness with my eyes her DirecTV refusing to display restricted content on her Sony TV. I eventually found that connecting her DVR directly to her TV and not through her Denon AVR-E400 receiver that the message went away and her programming was available.

So, DirecTV is making her pay $400 for a new Home Theater receiver. Seems like a class action lawsuit or something, updating the Guide and breaking her TV system. She thought she pressed the wrong button or something.

That's not Directv's fault, it is the Digital CP consortium that requires all devices that get firmware updates to include HDCP key revocations in those updates. Presumably the HDCP key that Denon AVR uses has been compromised and revoked.

I would check Denon's support site to see if that AVR can have its firmware updated, if it can it should get a new uncompromised key and make everything work again.

Reactions: b4pjoe and Foxbat
Denon shows this as an Archived receiver, with no Firmware or Manual support pages. It was purchased in Sept. of 2014, so just under 10 years old.

It was purchased through Crutchfield, and they promise lifetime support, so it will be interesting to see if they can help with this.

Denon shows this as an Archived receiver, with no Firmware or Manual support pages. It was purchased in Sept. of 2014, so just under 10 years old.

It was purchased through Crutchfield, and they promise lifetime support, so it will be interesting to see if they can help with this.
Because of the HDCP issues, I have changed the way I connect DIrecTV equipment to AVRs and TVs. I find things work more reliably by running the DIrecTV STB or client directly to the TV via HDMI, and use the ARC (Audio Return Channel) HDMI port on the TV to connect to the AVR video output. That Denon model supports ARC. As long as your TV has ARC support, that should solve your problem. You may have to change some settings on the TV for that.

Reactions: Foxbat

Moved and switched to Directv Stream - Is Gemini worth it?

New DIRECTV Satellite pricing