DirecTV Genie Redesigned Menus

I have no problem with HDR being on all the time with the present Gemini software.
Agreed. Whatever the issue was with HDR when the Gemini first became available via satellite was fixed at some point which I think was when they removed the HDR on/off option.

I just ran an experiment. I tried my Gemini connected directly to my TV via HDMI and then running it through mY Denon AVR to the TV. Going through the AVR disables the HDR output from the Gemini because it fails the Gemini test for HDR compatibility. Using an ordinary channel, the Gemini HDR output is brighter, with better color than the washed out color of the non HDR version.

Reactions: Foxbat
I tried my Gemini connected directly to my TV via HDMI and then running it through mY Denon AVR to the TV. Going through the AVR disables the HDR output from the Gemini because it fails the Gemini test for HDR compatibility.
Which model Denon do you have? I had to update my AVR a few years back to be able to pass 4K and HDR (AVR-X3500H now). Anything in the last couple of years is at least HDMI 2.3

Min parallel
Which model Denon do you have? I had to update my AVR a few years back to be able to pass 4K and HDR (AVR-X3500H now). Anything in the last couple of years is at least HDMI 2.3
My Denon is an AVR-S570BT. But this is not the problem. I just ran a second test. Now it passes the HDR test and passes HDR through the Denon. I think it has something to do with the HDMI cable I used. I am not going to take time today to research this further. The bottom line is that the HDR output looks better than the non HDR output on regular channels.

Reactions: Foxbat and b4pjoe
They are nearing the end of the rollout of the redesigned menus. Version 0x1B14 (which enables the new menus) is now up for the Genie 2 models (HS17) during the day.. That would make it the national release version for all HS17s. The Genie 1 models haven't reached that status yet, but they continue to push 0x1B14 to those models overnight.

Our HR-44 got the new menu today. I like it, my wife doesn’t. For years she hits menu and scrolls down to the recordings which now is a horizontal box art. She’s like where’s the list, I just want a top down list. I said try the button that says list on it. Voila, there it is. I’ve only been using that button forever. Don’t know why she never did and always went there the long way.

Anyway thank goodness the traditional DVR list is still available through that button!

Reactions: Foxbat and Jimbo
You know what I noticed and it’s not a big deal, but it’s more consistency issue with the UI. The guide has a dark gray background and all of the other menus have a navy blue background. It’s kind of bizarre from a design standpoint. I wonder if there’s any plans for the guide screen itself? This is almost akin to a redesigned website except for one very commonly used page.

Reactions: longhorn23
You know what I noticed and it’s not a big deal, but it’s more consistency issue with the UI. The guide has a dark gray background and all of the other menus have a navy blue background. It’s kind of bizarre from a design standpoint. I wonder if there’s any plans for the guide screen itself? This is almost akin to a redesigned website except for one very commonly used page.

I agree. The guide is more used than the actual menus, so I hope there’s plans to update the guide in the future. Would love for them to bring back logos at least for the Gemini’s. (Yes I know the argument is it slows it down, but every other tv provider has figured out a way to insert logos)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. The guide is more used than the actual menus, so I hope there’s plans to update the guide in the future. Would love for them to bring back logos at least for the Gemini’s. (Yes I know the argument is it slows it down, but every other tv provider has figured out a way to insert logos)

Every other Tv provider isn’t running hardware from 10 plus years ago. The genie 2 could run it fine but then they would need two guis

I was helping my friend with DirecTV get things updated in her entertainment center and I noticed the new graphics. As a Dish subscriber myself, I thought the guide and home page looked very nice.

I mentioned the new GUI to my friend, and she said, “it’s always looked like that.” Um, okay…

I was helping my friend with DirecTV get things updated in her entertainment center and I noticed the new graphics. As a Dish subscriber myself, I thought the guide and home page looked very nice.

I mentioned the new GUI to my friend, and she said, “it’s always looked like that.” Um, okay…
Its not a real radical departure from the previous one. I wouldnt be surprised if most people dont see a difference The Guide is exactly the same. Its mostly the home menu that got some adjustments

That would be ideal. Newer updated guide for genie 2 and Gemini. Keep everything the same on older models.

Since the guide for the Gemini and all clients comes from the server it is attached to, the guide would be different for clients attached to a Genie 1 versus a Genie 2. Not going to happen.

Reactions: "MysteryMan"
i got the new menu today in 757 VA , but still unable to add Mystics to "my teams" or "Score guide "
That is not fixed in the development cycle (PI40} now rolling out as a national release. None of our cutting-edge testers found that problem. Our cutting edge testers are mostly old men, like me. I would love to see more diversity in age, gender, interests and other factors in our cutting edge testers. As we start testing the Pi41 software cycle, I will try to represent your concern.

• Love
Reactions: dtv757
Since the guide for the Gemini and all clients comes from the server it is attached to, the guide would be different for clients attached to a Genie 1 versus a Genie 2. Not going to happen.
That would be the point. If you have a Genie 2 you would have a different GUI across the board since it could support it. They still run a different GUI on the HR2X. Wouldn’t be that radical

Nag Screens!

Is Gemini worth it? Email claiming free upgrade.