New Genie Menus Coming in July

So, instead of seeing everything on 1 page .... you have to scroll tom the right to see anything other than the 1st few ...
Yup, thats an improvement ???

They have duplicated what Streaming does, which doesn't make it better. :confused::(

Last edited:
So, instead of seeing everything on 1 page .... 6you have to scroll tom the right to see anything other than the 1st few ...
Yup, thats an improvement ???
The older customers that cannot figure out streaming wii just love the redesign.
They have duplicated what Streaming does, which doesn't make it better. :confused::(
Depends on the streaming services, some menus do not look that complicated.

I’ll believe my Genie has those streaming apps shown in those photos when I see it.

I hope the list and guide buttons on the remote still take me directly to the guide and recordings rather than having to go through the menu. That is one thing I hated about streaming. Yes, I am an older customer.

I hope the list and guide buttons on the remote still take me directly to the guide and recordings rather than having to go through the menu. That is one thing I hated about streaming. Yes, I am an older customer.
They do on streaming. I don’t ever see those screens when I turn on directv stream. I use guide button and list to see the guide and my recordings.
If I press the home button it goes into those screens.

People don’t like change. But I also understand why they are doing it.

It’s like when Dish updated the Hoppers to the new Carbon UI. Boy were people upset. But now after time most people like it more and it ultimately is better and easier to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I got a DIRECTV survey in my email today. To start they asked if I was s DIRECTV customer which I am and then it asked if I had the satellite service which I do. It asked about my receivers if I had Main Genie (I have a HR54), Genie Mini (I have a C61K), and a Gemini (I have a Gemini). 95% of the survey was about the Gemini. It did not ask me about legacy receivers which I have 4 HR24's.

Then it came to a screen that asked, "Which of the following features, if any, are you aware of when watching DIRECTV using your Gemini box?" which was followed by screen shots of the features that it was asking if I knew about them. The screens they showed were not screens that are on my Gemini so I have to think this is about the interface changes mentioned in this thread. Here are screen grabs of the features and screen they showed. They look more like the screens from the DIRECTV app with features that are also available in the app that are not currently on my Gemini. There are a few features on my Gemini listed below like SignalSaver but not the Guide screens or the Channel tray or the preview window when fast forwarding or rewinding or the scoreguide down the left side of the screen.

Screenshot 2024-07-07 at 1.59.20 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-07-07 at 1.59.37 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-07-07 at 1.59.54 PM.png

i am all for the change. everyone else has better menus and guides than directv!!! i have no intrest in siging a 2 year contract for a gemini.

A new genie would be nice something comparable to the Hopper 3. And now that we can drop locals it would be nice to buy an antenna and get a usb dongle and have the locals integrate into the guide also. But a new genie is doubtful.

Reactions: Mister B
When it is released, it will be for all Genies and their clients, including the Gemini. The Gemini version has more menu options. The release will be later than expected originally. One test market will probably get it around the end of July, the rest in August after the Olympics. The software release for the Genies will be greater than 0x1B10, and will probably require the new redesigned menu be enabled separately by DIRECTV after the software is updated, but I could be wrong about that.

Reactions: skinnyJM
Some are saying it won't look like the on menus for DTV via the Net and DTV Stream. If not, what will it look like?
I can't say for sure, because I have never seen those other options, but I think it is a similar theme. Many of the displays will be very familiar to DIRECTV satellite customers, the menu functions and layout will be different. My non-techie wife has had no problem adapting to it, but she doesn't use the menu much, if at all. The Guide, List and other remote buttons work pretty much as before. I am still under the Cutting Edge non-disclosure restrictions with regard to details.

Thanks. My Mom uses the HR-54 and I hope one feature they fix in that new update that my Mom doesn't like, after she would exit the end of an episode from a series list it would automatically play the next one. Also, not sure if this is glitch but it also sometimes records an episode that you would have that you would have to pay for it, when it is set to a series recording.

Last edited:

DIRECTV survey request via email

Lost Local DTV Channels Zip 44060 771