EchoStar/Dish raises doubts about 'ability to continue as a going concern'

IF they start jacking the prices as high as they did under the Cable/Sat model I will stop using them. There are a lot of free services that provide you with programming like TUBI or Pluto and even Sling stream which is free. I could get by with just ota networks and a way to watch my news channel I like and my wife could get by with Hgtv and Magnolia.

streaming is already getting there,
It is not even close, since both Traditional and streaming goes up every year, the difference between them has stayed the same, about $40-50 a month.
it's just a matter of time before the big streaming services turn off ad free support for all but the highest tier packages
Almost all streaming services offer both ads and no ads options, about a $5 difference.
and jack the price up to be so expensive no one can't buy it unless they are very rich.
That reads more about Traditional Paid Live TV, especially Comcast and DirecTV with all those fees.

streaming is already getting there, it's just a matter of time before the big streaming services turn off ad free support for all but the highest tier packages and jack the price up to be so expensive no one can't buy it unless they are very rich.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk
Yep, control all the content and control the price...Its called collusion!

Why doesn't Dish offer a streaming service like Direct TV does ? Since most want to cut the cord or in my case the satellite dish.

I want my Hopper3 and EHD's. I have every episode of ER, Law and Order and The Big Bang Theory on EHD. I hate the thought if losing them and most of the movies we've recorded over the years. But, if Dish goes so do they.
I hate change. Getting too old, UGH.

Direct TV has streaming from your Smart TV or devices like Roku.

But it sounds like the streaming service isn't going to save Direct TV either.

Is this a stupid question ? Please be kind. LOL
what makes you think streaming services are making money heck most are losing money!!!

Reactions: charlesrshell
what makes you think streaming services are making money heck most are losing money!!!
Yup. Just like the traditional services, many take years to get the required base of users for their models to work. Some will make it while others won’t/will merge/be sold/etc. Certainly a transitory period for the medium.

Not really a point that will move the needle with Dish’s creditors or accountants though.

It had taken 6 years for DirecTV to reach their first Profitable Quarter, Dish 9 years

Disney+ did it in 4.5 years, Netflix 6 years.

It had taken 17 years for Fox Broadcast Network to have their first profitable quarter.

Yup. Just like the traditional services, many take years to get the required base of users for their models to work. Some will make it while others won’t/will merge/be sold/etc. Certainly a transitory period for the medium.

Not really a point that will move the needle with Dish’s creditors or accountants though.
i noticed the news love to report how many customers everyone's losing some of the cable and sat companies are gaining customers back but they never report that!!

Actually, we now watch YT ( not YTTV) mostly, as I wean my wife off Dish. Not that hard, as Rocky Mtn vet left them, as well as many/most veterinary shows, and the zoo shows. Looks like the Food Truck shows may be leaving Dish also. And others. Content is king.

Actually, we now watch YT ( not YTTV) mostly, as I wean my wife off Dish. Not that hard, as Rocky Mtn vet left them, as well as many/most veterinary shows, and the zoo shows. Looks like the Food Truck shows may be leaving Dish also. And others. Content is king.
Lots of 80s and 90s movies on regular YouTube also

It is not even close, since both Traditional and streaming goes up every year, the difference between them has stayed the same, about $40-50 a month.
For a single app, no it's not close. But the problem is that for these 3 channels you need this app, then for those 4 channels you nedd another app, then this channel is only on that app, and so forth. Of course it depends on what you watch but for a lot of people by time you get all the programming you enjoy, you're paying for 6-8 apps. So that's around $70-80 with ads or $100-120 without ads. Me personally I don't watch ads so I'd want ad free and spend around $120 for everything. Whereas with my hopper3 that I can record and skip every single ad it's still around $120 per month. So yes the gap is definitely closing. However the upside on the streaming is you don't have to pay for each additional room.

For a single app, no it's not close. But the problem is that for these 3 channels you need this app, then for those 4 channels you nedd another app, then this channel is only on that app, and so forth. Of course it depends on what you watch but for a lot of people by time you get all the programming you enjoy, you're paying for 6-8 apps. So that's around $70-80 with ads or $100-120 without ads.

Nope.

Once again, for the majority of content from paid Live TV, you will need-

(These are all at the highest tier, commercial free/4K, etc)

Paramount+ w/Showtime-$12 a month
Peacock-$14 a month
Hulu/Disney+/ESPN+ $25 a month
AMC+-$9 a month
MAX-$23 a month

So a total of $83 a month, it would be a lot less with ads.

Plus you get all that extra streaming content
Me personally I don't watch ads so I'd want ad free and spend around $120 for everything. Whereas with my hopper3 that I can record and skip every single ad it's still around $120 per month.
I doubt that price includes HBO/Showtime.

And my price was $37 less commercial free, which also includes HBO, Showtime, much better video/sound quality and a lot more extra content that you do not get with Dish.
So yes the gap is definitely closing.
Nope, I could add Netflix, at it’s highest tier, still would be less then what you posted that you paid.

I also pay a lot less, thanks to specials they run.
However the upside on the streaming is you don't have to pay for each additional room.
That is true.

DPH34 switch

TuneIn radio now on DTS playfi