EchoStar/Dish raises doubts about 'ability to continue as a going concern'

I wish a streaming service would setup more like a satellite receiver. Where u can set up favorites and just channel up and down to move thru channels instead of looking at a list of shows and channels. My 84 year old father likes Dish but is illiterate. He cant read the info on a roku or chromecast to get to his shows.

I wish a streaming service would setup more like a satellite receiver. Where u can set up favorites and just channel up and down to move thru channels instead of looking at a list of shows and channels. My 84 year old father likes Dish but is illiterate. He cant read the info on a roku or chromecast to get to his shows.

DirecTV Stream operates like this, Dish really needs a competitor and it would be pretty easy to do with Sling. People used to Dish want channel numbers and a larger remote with 0-9 buttons for direct access.

DirecTV Stream operates like this, Dish really needs a competitor and it would be pretty easy to do with Sling. People used to Dish want channel numbers and a larger remote with 0-9 buttons for direct access.
So does YTTV, my problem with Paid Live TV is the lack of new scripted content and the icky picture/sound quality.

I read today they don't think Echostar/DISH has enough money on hand to pay its bills and the subscriber losses from both DISH and Sling TV are not stopping. So their revenues are dwindling at a time when they need like $3 billion to finish out their towers for their cell phone service. Something has to give and it looks like it will be a bankruptcy either consolidated or sell off. DISH can't seem to find anyone that wants to invest in this company any longer.

I read today they don't think Echostar/DISH has enough money on hand to pay its bills and the subscriber losses from both DISH and Sling TV are not stopping. So their revenues are dwindling at a time when they need like $3 billion to finish out their towers for their cell phone service. Something has to give and it looks like it will be a bankruptcy either consolidated or sell off. DISH can't seem to find anyone that wants to invest in this company any longer.
I would find this ironic had Primestar first it was to become Directv, want nothing to do with Directv (could swore it dish that bought them though )and been with Dish since, if they go bankrupts might wind up with Directv anyway, though more likely just wont have any satellite/cable tv.

One reason why i dont really want to drop dish is cause Sirusxm is part of there, and i use that alot more then any of other added bonuses to subbing. And all of my Godzilla recording that took me 20+ years to get, and i still dont have commercial free versions of all the recording and still missing a few that are on external drive would all go byebye cause linked to this account only (one day I will break down and buy whole collection on bluray but that gona expensive day @ 30+ movie and each bluray being 2 movie 30$ a pop last i looked)

I also think most long time sub just dont want leave for something else, which highly apparent no longer enough

According to wiki that made 17b in 2022 so either highly inaccurate or the really got screwed in 2 years

Reactions: charlesrshell
YTTV has channel numbers with direct access? It's been a few years since I've used it.
He did not ask for channel numbers, he wrote this-Where u can set up favorites and just channel up and down to move thru channels instead of looking at a list of shows and channels.

Which you can do, can even set up the guide to your liking.

For all these ideas, no one is bring up the obvious, how do they stop the subscribers leaving, which is at a rate of 2 Million per year for DirecTV ( as confirmed by Fitch Ratings) and 1.2 Million for Dish/Sling.
You got my juices flowing.
I have been hymning and hawing for a coupe years about what I pay and what little I watch on my hopper 3

After your post, I called in and put the account on pause for a few months to see if I can live without the excellent Hopper box and accept full time streaming.
It's a continuing drip drip viewer loss as the fiber networks get extended to more areas.

In the end, it's all about $$$

You got my juices flowing.
I have been hymning and hawing for a coupe years about what I pay and what little I watch on my hopper 3

After your post, I called in and put the account on pause for a few months to see if I can live without the excellent Hopper box and accept full time streaming.
It's a continuing drip drip viewer loss as the fiber networks get extended to more areas.

In the end, it's all about $$$
My wife and I put Dish on pause last Christmas day and despite some learning curves, are quite satisfied with our choice of streaming providers. The $900/year savings isn't hard to take either. No learning curve there... :)

More noise about their new Boost plans-

Wave7 Research principal Jeff Moore, who told Mobile World Live putting both under one banner introduces more confusion for consumers.

“Boost Mobile is a wonderful brand in and of itself, and its highly appealing in urban America,” he explained. “Customers understand that they get a lot of value from Boost Mobile, but it’s not a post-paid brand. To use to the Boost Mobile brand for post-paid sales is a mistake.”

Then this-

That absence of stores for the postpaid brand is a big problem, according to Jeff Moore, principal of Wave7 Research, which closely tracks both the prepaid and postpaid wireless retail space.

It’s like having two chain stores under the same brand – one is Kmart and the other is Nordstrom’s. “Selling them both under the same brand name would be a mistake,” he told Fierce. “Not having a separate postpaid identity and separate postpaid stores falls short of being a fully-blown fourth national carrier.”

More noise about their new Boost plans-

Wave7 Research principal Jeff Moore, who told Mobile World Live putting both under one banner introduces more confusion for consumers.

“Boost Mobile is a wonderful brand in and of itself, and its highly appealing in urban America,” he explained. “Customers understand that they get a lot of value from Boost Mobile, but it’s not a post-paid brand. To use to the Boost Mobile brand for post-paid sales is a mistake.”

Then this-

That absence of stores for the postpaid brand is a big problem, according to Jeff Moore, principal of Wave7 Research, which closely tracks both the prepaid and postpaid wireless retail space.

It’s like having two chain stores under the same brand – one is Kmart and the other is Nordstrom’s. “Selling them both under the same brand name would be a mistake,” he told Fierce. “Not having a separate postpaid identity and separate postpaid stores falls short of being a fully-blown fourth national carrier.”

At this point for them size is what matters over all else in gaining critical mass in the market. I don't see a big issue with having both payment schemes under 1 brand- simply that the incumbent market majors don't do it that way doesn't mean it's any misstep. Sort of like with DiSH it seems he's going after both rich & poor in the mobile market, and who's to say it wouldn't be a good practice to be able to start out customers prepaid and then later convert some of them to postpaid? Or to be able to retain/restart defaulted postpaids by putting on prepaid?

Also, he might want to try out having few or no stores, as upstarts like visible and Twigby do. Everything online, as folks are now much more comfortable with.

Reactions: charlesrshell
They need to drop the boost name and go with Dish or Sling Wireless. Boost has a terrible reputation, it's like launching a new car and calling it Yugo.
Per the articles, they plan on putting both services in the physical Boost Stores later in the year, hence why they are keeping the name.

But I agree with you, months ago, they should have named the new service Dish Infinite/Wireless instead of Boost Infinite.

Dish is an awful name for a Cell company. Sling vould work better.
"Boost" only confused me- this is what I thought of:

1721409298833.png

I am afraid that name is dying very quickly with all the churn and loss of subscribers. I used to say satellite would be gone before the decade is done and I think it might come faster now. People are going with streaming or nothing these days.
This when Streaming will actual become as expensive as satalites/cable, which would probably review that whole sector when they come back but as cheap rates. It like a yoyo between the 2 atm

This when Streaming will actual become as expensive as satalites/cable, which would probably review that whole sector when they come back but as cheap rates. It like a yoyo between the 2 atm
streaming is already getting there, it's just a matter of time before the big streaming services turn off ad free support for all but the highest tier packages and jack the price up to be so expensive no one can't buy it unless they are very rich.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Hopper 2 reboots and tests installation every morning when 1st turned on.

H380 DVR playback issues