Big NBA Trade!

sorry, hate to burst your bubble but this reeks of desperation. cleveland has a boat load of centers but no real power forward. yes, shaq had a good year last season. but, at 37, it doesn't mean he's got another one.

if the cavs wanted to apease lebron, they should have traded for someone younger who can add stability to the roster. shaq has, maybe, one more year left in the tank.

its like the vikes thinking they are going to win the super bowl if they sign favre. it reeks of desperation. if it wins you a title, great. but it won't win you titles. there's a HUGE difference!

That covers it for me also.

sorry, hate to burst your bubble but this reeks of desperation. cleveland has a boat load of centers but no real power forward. yes, shaq had a good year last season. but, at 37, it doesn't mean he's got another one.

if the cavs wanted to apease lebron, they should have traded for someone younger who can add stability to the roster. shaq has, maybe, one more year left in the tank.

its like the vikes thinking they are going to win the super bowl if they sign favre. it reeks of desperation. if it wins you a title, great. but it won't win you titles. there's a HUGE difference!

All I want is one for now...after that, I'll worry about multiples.

Exactly. That is the entire point to this trade. Not to sound too cocky, but the Cavs have plenty of scoring options. We needed a Large Cog down low to counter the Dwight Howard's, Yao Mings and Tim Duncan's of the world.

That's exactly what the Suns said when they acquired Shaq 16 months ago...and now look what has happened to them.

"Boat load of centers?" Who are they and where have they been hiding? By my estimation we have 1 (Zydrunas Ilgauskas), and he got smacked around pretty badly against Dwight Howard. This trade was simply to help counter other bigs in the league and we gave up next to nothing to get him. At worst, we're another 66 win team (same as last year). At best we're a 75+ win Championship team. Either way, I don't see any downfall to this trade. We're certainly not worse off.

Again, to those who disagree with the trade, please share with us what you'd do different. Be specific. There are limited players available as free agents and only a select few available for a realistic trade. By my estimation and what we gave up, I think this is one helluva trade.

BTW, Shaq has 1 year remaining on his contract. If he works out this year and we win a Championship, great! Doesn't mean we'll resign him next year. Either way, this is a very low-risk trade.

But that poses the ultimate question. We won 66 games and came short of advancing to the NBA Finals this year. It became apparent in the series against the Magic that we had a big miss-match down low. The very definition of ignorance is doing the same thing twice and expecting different results. Why wouldn't we want to try and improve on an area of need? The front office understands that the window of success isn't infinate, so we were pro-active. I applaud that mentality and effort.

Where's BillD been hiding? Hey Bill, from a Boston perspective, what do you think? Be honest. Everyone else has. :)

Does it make Cleveland better? Have to see what they can get out of him, can't really judge the trade now, this is not 2004 Shaq.

BTW, "Z" is a free agent, will the resign him after taking on Shaq's huge contract? What about Verejo who is also a free agent?

It is way to early to pass judgement on any of these teams until the entire off season is over.

I think the top 3 teams in the east will stay the same. Boston, Cleveland & Orlando.

Does it make Cleveland better? Have to see what they can get out of him, can't really judge the trade now, this is not 2004 Shaq.

On paper you certainly can't say that Ben Wallace and Sasha Pavlovic would be better than Shaq. The Daddy gives us an offensive presence under the basket we've never had and on defense, he's a big body to put on another big. Ben Wallace, as much as I appreciate his time in Cleveland is done. He's said it himself. After the season he came out and said he's contemplating retirement. As for Sasha, he's good once every 5 or 6 games. He's wildly inconsistent.

BTW, "Z" is a free agent, will the resign him after taking on Shaq's huge contract? What about Verejo who is also a free agent?

Z has an option this year. He's already said he wants to stay with the Cavs. All that's left to do is a formality for the Cavs to pick-up that option. Varajao is a free agent and the Cavs are expected to make him an offer. Financially I don't think the Cavs are in any worse situation than they were before the trade. Shaq will make $21 million this year. Between Ben and Sasha, they will make over $19 million.

It is way to early to pass judgement on any of these teams until the entire off season is over.

Agreed, but the Cavs are most certainly better for making the trade if Shaq stays healthy. We shipped off 2 players who offered nothing to the Cavs and who were barely even part of the rotation by the end of the season, for a player Slam Magazine just last month named as the 4th best player of all time.

I think the top 3 teams in the east will stay the same. Boston, Cleveland & Orlando.

Agreed. No doubting that. :up

"Boat load of centers?" Who are they and where have they been hiding? By my estimation we have 1 (Zydrunas Ilgauskas), and he got smacked around pretty badly against Dwight Howard. This trade was simply to help counter other bigs in the league and we gave up next to nothing to get him. At worst, we're another 66 win team (same as last year). At best we're a 75+ win Championship team. Either way, I don't see any downfall to this trade. We're certainly not worse off.

Again, to those who disagree with the trade, please share with us what you'd do different. Be specific. There are limited players available as free agents and only a select few available for a realistic trade. By my estimation and what we gave up, I think this is one helluva trade.

BTW, Shaq has 1 year remaining on his contract. If he works out this year and we win a Championship, great! Doesn't mean we'll resign him next year. Either way, this is a very low-risk trade.

But that poses the ultimate question. We won 66 games and came short of advancing to the NBA Finals this year. It became apparent in the series against the Magic that we had a big miss-match down low. The very definition of ignorance is doing the same thing twice and expecting different results. Why wouldn't we want to try and improve on an area of need? The front office understands that the window of success isn't infinate, so we were pro-active. I applaud that mentality and effort.

yes, you ned a dominant center. but is shaq the answer? maybe, if it was the shaq that orlando drafted. that guy was solid muscle. shaq is huge but i doubt it is all muscle. plus, i wonder how he will keep up with the younger centersw like howard.

yes, you ned a dominant center. but is shaq the answer? maybe, if it was the shaq that orlando drafted. that guy was solid muscle. shaq is huge but i doubt it is all muscle. plus, i wonder how he will keep up with the younger centersw like howard.

But we're not bringing Shaq in here to ask him to dominate like he did with Orlando or L.A. Without Shaq, we were still a 66 win team! Shaq will only provide more depth. At it's base, that's all this trade was about.

Bold prediction- Cavs will face the Lakers on a nationally televised Christmas Day game.

The starpower can't be ignored.

I think Shaq might benefit from playing with this team.

Phoenix is still trying to go back to its roots as a running team, and I don't think Shaq would be willing to go up-and-down the court all the time now that the Suns are going to keep running under their new coach.

I think Shaq might benefit from playing with this team.

Phoenix is still trying to go back to its roots as a running team, and I don't think Shaq would be willing to go up-and-down the court all the time now that the Suns are going to keep running under their new coach.

Correct. The Suns and Cavs have a much different offensive style. Our style of ball will be easier on the big fella.

No one's mentioned it yet, but the pairing of LeBron and Shaq is exciting from a marketing/media standpoint. This signing pairs two of the games biggest names under roof. The Q is gonna be a circus this year. I can't wait!

Correct. The Suns and Cavs have a much different offensive style. Our style of ball will be easier on the big fella.

And will result in Shaq's stats going way down. Not talking about wins and losses here, but you did mention Shaq scoring 18 points a game last year and he will not come close to that in Cleveland. As you said (and I did earlier) Cleveland is much different from Phoenix, and Lebron will still be taking a LOT of shots.

Sandra

No one's mentioned it yet, but the pairing of LeBron and Shaq is exciting from a marketing/media standpoint. This signing pairs two of the games biggest names under roof. The Q is gonna be a circus this year. I can't wait!

Thanks to Isiah the Knicks were a circus for years. Thank goodness the circus left town. ;)

Shaq and Kobe had a nice little circus in LA too. Basketball circuses are way overrated!

Sandra

A slight twist to the Trade. Cavs get to keep draft pick!!!

CLEVELAND — The Cavaliers have completed their trade for Shaquille O'Neal, having gotten the league office to approve it this morning. But it did require a tweak that impacts tonight's NBA Draft.

On a technicality, the Cavs could not send the Phoenix Suns their second-round pick, the 46th overall, in addition to Sasha Pavlovic and Ben Wallace plus cash to complete the trade. So the Cavs will now keep that pick and instead send the Suns next season's second-round pick.
NBA approves trade making Shaquille O'Neal a Cleveland Cavalier, but not without some excitement - cleveland.com

Wimbledon 2009

ANGEL PITCHER KILLED IN CRASH!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts