2009 NBA Playoffs

The Magic once again proved to be the dumbest team left in the playoffs, you build a 25 point lead then take crazy shots, play sloppy and don't give the ball to the big man. The Magic were lucky that Rajon Rondo was careless with the ball nearly all night or they could have very easily lost.
I still believe the Magic will win the series but they are winning from talent not coaching or court smarts.

Dare I say this type of play continues to be a reflection on their coach and head man in charge? Gasp!!!!! :eek: :)

Interesting post from Sam Smith, who I know from my days in Chicago...a jerk that thinks he knows more than everyone else about the NBA....but there are times where you HAVE TO "give the devil his due"......

The Bulls, with Saturday’s Game 7 loss in Boston, joined the Spurs, Pistons, Jazz, Hornets, 76ers, Trail Blazers and Heat on the sidelines for the season. When you lose in the first round, you look for answers because teams in that position generally feel they are close.

The Pistons will make major free agent moves and league executives expect the Trail Blazers and Hornets to be active, though for different reasons.

Kirk Hinrich often has been mentioned as a possible target of the Trail Blazers, who want to upgrade at point guard from Steve Blake. Blake is under a team option for $4 million next season and would be an ideal backup guard at a lesser price. Portland is expected to have about $7 million in salary cap room, so they could absorb some extra salary. Maybe they throw in a draft pick the Bulls could use in a larger deal to try to lure away a star level player. That could be examined before the draft.

Though the really intriguing possibility is Dwyane Wade. He can opt out of his contract after next season. The general feeling has been the Heat has improved so much from last season Wade will want to return. But in the Heat’s seven-game first round loss to the Atlanta Hawks, Wade, obviously, still was having trouble with the maturity of the Heat’s young players.

“To be honest with you I have no idea (if they understand playoff intensity). I don’t,” Wade told South Florida media during the series. “If it seems like I’m calling them out, I’m not calling them out. But I want to see our young guys play like it’s Game 6 of the playoffs (the Heat would win and then lose in Atlanta). If ‘Rio (guard Mario Chalmers) says he’s won a national championship, well, I want to see him play like it. I want to see Michael (Beasley) play.”

Wade did say he’s very encouraged by the improvement this season and told reporters after Sunday’s game: "The team that won 15 games last year came back to win 43 games this year and took Atlanta to seven games in the playoffs. We've got something to build on."

But it was clear watching the series Wade was as alone as any star. Chalmers was constantly being yelled at about defensive position. Beasley floated in and out of games and positions. Daequan Cook played sparingly.

And that’s why the Bulls impressive showing against the Celtics was so important.

The Bulls opened a lot of eyes around the league and will become the team to watch coming into next season. We’ve heard speculation about Wade for some time because he is from Chicago and might prefer a larger market. But now the Bulls also have impressive pieces in place where, with the addition of a star like Wade, the Bulls could be considered legitimate championship contenders.

With the expiring contracts of Brad Miller, Jerome James and Tim Thomas, the Bulls have positioned themselves well to offer a player like Wade a maximum contract after next season. Yes, Chris Bosh also will be a free agent and many believe he would leave Toronto. But compare what Wade did with Miami to what Bosh did with a Toronto team that clearly had way more talent. Wade’s a difference maker, a true star in this era. Bosh, really, is a supporting star.

Wade could walk right into a backcourt with Derrick Rose, two potential all-league players with a nice supporting cast with Joakim Noah, Luol Deng and John Salmons. Such a plan likely would preclude making a big offer and bringing back Ben Gordon. But then you also risk Miami pulling off a coup, and, say, getting Bosh and then ending up with the 2010 version of Ron Mercer.

It’s a heck of a decision that could be second guessed either way.

Do you build on what you just accomplished and try to add a low post scorer now and try to bring back the basic group from this season and forget about 2010? Or continue to build and go for the big jackpot in 2010 knowing how much you’d have to offer to a player like Wade who could be the scoring star since Rose doesn’t care for that role and get back to seriously competing for a championship again?

It may be a crossroads summer for the franchise.

BULLS: Sam Smith: Could a backcourt of D-Rose and D-Wade become a reality?

Interesting post from Sam Smith, who I know from my days in Chicago...a jerk that thinks he knows more than everyone else about the NBA....but there are times where you HAVE TO "give the devil his due"......

The Bulls, with Saturday’s Game 7 loss in Boston, joined the Spurs, Pistons, Jazz, Hornets, 76ers, Trail Blazers and Heat on the sidelines for the season. When you lose in the first round, you look for answers because teams in that position generally feel they are close.

The Pistons will make major free agent moves and league executives expect the Trail Blazers and Hornets to be active, though for different reasons.

Kirk Hinrich often has been mentioned as a possible target of the Trail Blazers, who want to upgrade at point guard from Steve Blake. Blake is under a team option for $4 million next season and would be an ideal backup guard at a lesser price. Portland is expected to have about $7 million in salary cap room, so they could absorb some extra salary. Maybe they throw in a draft pick the Bulls could use in a larger deal to try to lure away a star level player. That could be examined before the draft.

Though the really intriguing possibility is Dwyane Wade. He can opt out of his contract after next season. The general feeling has been the Heat has improved so much from last season Wade will want to return. But in the Heat’s seven-game first round loss to the Atlanta Hawks, Wade, obviously, still was having trouble with the maturity of the Heat’s young players.

“To be honest with you I have no idea (if they understand playoff intensity). I don’t,” Wade told South Florida media during the series. “If it seems like I’m calling them out, I’m not calling them out. But I want to see our young guys play like it’s Game 6 of the playoffs (the Heat would win and then lose in Atlanta). If ‘Rio (guard Mario Chalmers) says he’s won a national championship, well, I want to see him play like it. I want to see Michael (Beasley) play.”

Wade did say he’s very encouraged by the improvement this season and told reporters after Sunday’s game: "The team that won 15 games last year came back to win 43 games this year and took Atlanta to seven games in the playoffs. We've got something to build on."

But it was clear watching the series Wade was as alone as any star. Chalmers was constantly being yelled at about defensive position. Beasley floated in and out of games and positions. Daequan Cook played sparingly.

And that’s why the Bulls impressive showing against the Celtics was so important.

The Bulls opened a lot of eyes around the league and will become the team to watch coming into next season. We’ve heard speculation about Wade for some time because he is from Chicago and might prefer a larger market. But now the Bulls also have impressive pieces in place where, with the addition of a star like Wade, the Bulls could be considered legitimate championship contenders.

With the expiring contracts of Brad Miller, Jerome James and Tim Thomas, the Bulls have positioned themselves well to offer a player like Wade a maximum contract after next season. Yes, Chris Bosh also will be a free agent and many believe he would leave Toronto. But compare what Wade did with Miami to what Bosh did with a Toronto team that clearly had way more talent. Wade’s a difference maker, a true star in this era. Bosh, really, is a supporting star.

Wade could walk right into a backcourt with Derrick Rose, two potential all-league players with a nice supporting cast with Joakim Noah, Luol Deng and John Salmons. Such a plan likely would preclude making a big offer and bringing back Ben Gordon. But then you also risk Miami pulling off a coup, and, say, getting Bosh and then ending up with the 2010 version of Ron Mercer.

It’s a heck of a decision that could be second guessed either way.

Do you build on what you just accomplished and try to add a low post scorer now and try to bring back the basic group from this season and forget about 2010? Or continue to build and go for the big jackpot in 2010 knowing how much you’d have to offer to a player like Wade who could be the scoring star since Rose doesn’t care for that role and get back to seriously competing for a championship again?

It may be a crossroads summer for the franchise.

BULLS: Sam Smith: Could a backcourt of D-Rose and D-Wade become a reality?

that's some good reading! and to think we could've had rose and wade together :( any chances of us picking up Bosh and keeping wade? miami needs to improve themselves but do they have any $$$ for that next season?

D-Wade to Chicago is interesting, but this still doesn't solve the Bulls need for more Bigs. Plus, how is Chicago's surrounding talent a better fit for D-Wade than what he has now in Miami?

The Bulls have long had an abundance of guards. D-Rose, B-Gordon, K-Heinrich and now D-Wade? I don't see how this would work for either team.

D-Wade: Extension Will Be Considered

AND there goes all of the Wade to Chi-town talk.......... :D

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=1987
Dwyane Wade reiterated Monday he would consider signing a contract extension when he is eligible July 1, but said he has not given the idea much thought. Otherwise, Wade would become a free agent in the blockbuster summer of 2010, when LeBron James, Yao Ming, Chris Bosh, Amare Stoudemire and other top players hit the open market.
For now, Wade's focus is seeing how his current team will improve, particularly the development of young players such as Mario Chalmers, Michael Beasley and Daequan Cook. -- The Miami Herald

Courtney Lee of Orlando Expected Back for Game 3

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=orl
Magic guard Courtney Lee, who had surgery last week to repair a fractured sinus, likely will be available for Friday's Game 3 when the conference semifinals against the Celtics return to Orlando, according to a report in The Boston Globe.

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2009/news/story?id=4141044"]Courtney Lee of Orlando Magic expected back for Game 3 - ESPN[/ame]

that's some good reading! and to think we could've had rose and wade together :( any chances of us picking up Bosh and keeping wade? miami needs to improve themselves but do they have any $$$ for that next season?

Well....like I said, I know Sam Smith and he could WAY OFF in a few things....Just like Jay Marriotti, who most of the time, he like Rush Limpbaugh....he is alot of schtick with little substance. But he DOES bring some good points about what Chicago wants and may need to do. But the funny thing is, when the Bulls swept the HEAT a couple of years back, they said the SAME THING about the BULLS for the following year.

Bosh AND Stoudemire are very available...but I have a strange feeling these teams will try to trade them before they leave because they do not wanna be left empty handed. There is rumors of Bosh going all over the place, but little rumors of Stoudemire....I think the HEAT will go after BOTH knowing they will land one. They will have as much, if not MORE(depending on the who you talk to/sources around the league) cap space than ANYONE else. There is ALSO Yao Ming is also available. The likely scenarios is that Wade, Lebron and Ming stay with their teams...the rest, I think is a crap shoot.

Add a mature Beasley and Chambers, Stoudemire and Wade...and there you have the makings of a top seed in the East.

How do you guys see the two games tonight going down?

(IMO, I think the home teams will win, but after what happened last night, I'm not taking Dallas or Atlanta lightly)

How do you guys see the two games tonight going down?

(IMO, I think the home teams will win, but after what happened last night, I'm not taking Dallas or Atlanta lightly)

Sabres, I'll be able to tell after 1 quarter of play whether the 9-day rest created more rust to overcome or not. If there's a game for ATL to steal on the road, it's tonight. I also expect the Cavs conditioning to be down and their shooters to be out of sync. I still predict a win, but it'll be closer than expected. You can certainly bet the fans at the Q will do everything in their power to will the team onto a win though.

As for the later game, look for the Nuggets to continue on their dominant run through the West.

Sabres, I'll be able to tell after 1 quarter of play whether the 9-day rest created more rust to overcome or not. If there's a game for ATL to steal on the road, it's tonight. I also expect the Cavs conditioning to be down and their shooters to be out of sync. I still predict a win, but it'll be closer than expected. You can certainly bet the fans at the Q will do everything in their power to will the team onto a win though.

As for the later game, look for the Nuggets to continue on their dominant run through the West.

The home teams all the way tonight!

Good luck tonight, Matt. It's 12 wins and counting now, buddy! :up

BTW, I don't think they're doing that at the scorers tables anymore (the 16 down to 1 countdown for a championship). That was pretty cool. :)

The home teams all the way tonight!

Good luck tonight, Matt. It's 12 wins and counting now, buddy! :up

BTW, I don't think they're doing that at the scorers tables anymore (the 16 down to 1 countdown for a championship). That was pretty cool. :)

i'm with you too on this bill..... we'll see.

Predictions for tonight...watch NCIS or Fringe instead :D ...

...double digit wins for both the home teams, Cavs and Nuggets.

Hawks might win one game from the Cavs, but confidence is low since game 3 in Atlanta is a ABC game(Primetime at that).

The Mavericks don't have to win in Denver tonight but it would definitely help.

Rust, schmust- Cavs win big!

Great start for the Cavs- a 27-point BEATDOWN!

First, LeBron- gets the MVP and proved his award-worthiness with 34 points and 10 rebounds.

Next, the supporting cast. 21 for Williams, including 4 three-pointers- when Atlanta kept the margin close, Mo hit those big shots. 13 for West, including some quick drives to the hoops.

As for the Hawks- they kept it close early, but as the game wore on, the Cavs defense forced turnovers and got so many big stops on defense.

(While the margin was lopsided, this was not like other playoff blowouts- every game in Hawks-Heat, Denver's 58-point win, Orlando/Philly game 6- Atlanta showed more effort in the first half than some of those teams did at any point)

The game had a 5-point margin at halftime- in the second half, the Cavs outscored Atlanta 50-28!

(While the margin was lopsided, this was not like other playoff blowouts- every game in Hawks-Heat, Denver's 58-point win, Orlando/Philly game 6- Atlanta showed more effort in the first half than some of those teams did at any point)

The game had a 5-point margin at halftime- in the second half, the Cavs outscored Atlanta 50-28!
I'll chalk up the first half to Cleveland's layoff. The Cavs are the better team, and I don't expect the Hawks to play much better the rest of the way. They may get jacked up for Game 3 in Atlanta, but the other games they'll probably fade away.

I'll chalk up the first half to Cleveland's layoff. The Cavs are the better team, and I don't expect the Hawks to play much better the rest of the way. They may get jacked up for Game 3 in Atlanta, but the other games they'll probably fade away.

Compared to what happened to the Lakers after their layoff, that was not so bad.

BTW, Anders, what's with the hard heart towards Atlanta? IIRC, there are no Dukies on that team.:D (They have a Gator, a Razorback, a Wildcat, and an Aggie)

Compared to what happened to the Lakers after their layoff, that was not so bad.

BTW, Anders, what's with the hard heart towards Atlanta? IIRC, there are no Dukies on that team.:D (They have a Gator, a Razorback, a Wildcat, and an Aggie)
They also have a Tar Heel in Marvin Williams. I don't particularly care about the Hawks either way, but I don't think they give an honest effort every night. Not that it would matter anyway, Cleveland looks like they are on a mission.

Yep. I thought Game 1 was the best chance for the Birds to steal one from the Cavs. Didn't happen though. The Cavs defensive intensity picked up in the 2nd half and made sure of that.

BTW, that Josh Smith is a tremendous talent. Extremely underrated IMO. I almost never hear him mentioned in the elite Power Forward discussions, but this dude can get to the basket and score at will. Very talented.

Also, I must admit, I did enjoy sticking it to Al Horford last night. He was such a show-boat in Florida and showed up the Buckeyes during the National Championship. How does it feel to be on the other end of the beating now, Al?? :p

Great start for the Cavs- a 27-point BEATDOWN!

First, LeBron- gets the MVP and proved his award-worthiness with 34 points and 10 rebounds.

Next, the supporting cast. 21 for Williams, including 4 three-pointers- when Atlanta kept the margin close, Mo hit those big shots. 13 for West, including some quick drives to the hoops.

As for the Hawks- they kept it close early, but as the game wore on, the Cavs defense forced turnovers and got so many big stops on defense.

Deep breath... BIG sigh of relief after last night. I mentioned earlier that if there was a night for ATL to steal a game from the Cavs, last night was it. So much for that. LeBron didn't seem to nervous either in trying to prove his worthiness following the trophy presentation just minutes before the tip-off.

Right from the first possession, LeBron seemed like he was on a mission to get the Cavs off to a good start and to energize the crowd with the first thunderous jam, scoring the first points of the evening. He was 5 for 5 to start the game. When the lead was comfortable, Mo and Delonte took the reigns.

Another impressive win for the Cavs. The Magic Number now stands at 11. This team is more focused that I've ever seen them. I also think the last 4 years of playoff basketball has helped this team to know what the NBA Playoffs are really all about and how to handle each and every scenario.

You could tell our guys were a bit winded at the end of the 2nd quarter, but we didn't let up. I'm proud of their defensive effort in the 2nd half. That Anderson Varejao is so intense. His stats might not show up in the record books, but this dude is so instrumental to our success. He's got a constant motor and never gives up on a rebound, a loose ball, a tip or a steal. I love the way "Wild Thing" plays the game.

I can't wait till Thursday. I will be there in person to help chear this team onto another win.

Do we need the regular NBA thread stickied anymore you guys?

Belmont Stakes

Former Indians' Owner Dies

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)