2008 NFL Playoff Thread

2. In the Indy/SD game, the Colts had 0 turnovers and the Chargers gave up 2 costly turnovers. Typically in such a close game this would be the deciding factor, however this oddly wasn't the case. Instead, the Colts inability to run the ball was their downfall. Conversely, the Chargers ability to run effectively won them the game.
I had been telling this to everyone. I said they'd be one-and-done, but all that Manning MVP talk and hottest team stuff overshadowed what I've been saying all along.

Also, IMO, the Colts would have probably wished they played Denver instead. Colts have owned the Broncos, but have been owned by the Chargers. If you ask me, Indy got their worst possible scenario.

4. It's amazing to think the Chargers were 4-8 and all the pundits were calling for Norv Turner's head at one point. They are the hottest team in Football right now.
Also, people were ready to hail Mike Shanahan for winning a division with so many injuries.

7. Matt Millen has the credibility of a chipmunk. Why is he in the studio booth giving game analysis?
Because he used to do booth work, and was very good at it.

9. The year Baltimore won their Super Bowl, they had a stout defense and adequate offense that makes limited mistakes. This years' team reminds me of much the same. Next weeks Raven/Titans game should be a smash-mouth, low scoring affair for the ages. The team with the fewest mistakes will win.
This offense is better than that. Flacco is capable of big throws, and they have better offensive playmakers.

10. During the regular season, both the Eagles and Giants won games on eachothers opposing home turf. Next week Philly goes back to the Medowlands for a shot at the NFL Conference Championship Game. Is it too much to expect the Eagles to win twice at Giants Stadium in 1 year?
Last year, the Giants beat a top-seeded Dallas team. Now, the Giants are in the same scenario the Cowboys were in last year.

And going 1-15 and getting the two most popular players since Dan Marino traded or release ...is not worse than?? New President of Operations.....new GM...COMPLETELY new coaching staff and not to mention more than 50% of a new roster.

...so you were saying?:rolleyes:

Like I said, both were worthy candidates, however the off-the-field chaotic storyline that was surrounded by the Falcons made it IMO, a harder task for a new coach. This is the reason I think he got the nod.

the off-the-field chaotic storyline that was surrounded by the Falcons made it IMO, a harder task for a new coach.

Correct.

Also, Miami did have a few decent players to work with. Falcons had to overhaul most of the roster.

Just where did that happen? This guy made sure that nobody would know about this interview until shortly before it happened, so that Detroit writers wouldn't be there to ask the hard questions. He blew this all off like it's a joke, and it's on him. Of course it was his fault. What else was he going to say? I want more specific answers. Was Ford meddling? What was he thinking when he drafted 3 WR's? What about overpaying Free Agents? How did he let the defense get so bad? I can go on forever.

Salsa, if this was Al Davis, in the same situation, would you find this interview and apology acceptable? Put yourself in a Detroit Lions fan's shoes, and tell me this was acceptable.

See, here in lies the problem...What do you want from this guy?! Blood? his children? His house and car? I mean you know full well that ALL decisions went throught the Ford family. It's not like he was some rogue VP of Operations guy that would make decisions and the Ford Family had nothing to do with it. You will NEVER, EVER get more answers because these guys will NEVER, EVER burn bridges. Had he wentout and spilled the beans, he would have NEVER, EVER had a job in football again...regardless if it would have been VP or a peanut seller...NO ONE would trust him....and definately not on TV, which is what he is aiming for because then he would inside information from ALL teams.

And there is a big difference between Matt and Al Davis....one is the employee and the other is the employer and he will always give more information...not as much as you want...but more info none the less.

Raider fans KNOW what the problem is....BUT the PROBLEM is....NO ONE can fire Al Davis. There is only TWO ways to get rid of him.....DEATH, he IS the modern day Fidel Castro of the NFL, as much as you want and think he is dead...he is a bad weed that keeps coming back. And if the owners pull a "Marge Schott" thing and yank her ownership like MLB did. But NONE of the NFL owners have the balls to do that, so that will never happen.

Like I said, both were worthy candidates, however the off-the-field chaotic storyline that was surrounded by the Falcons made it IMO, a harder task for a new coach. This is the reason I think he got the nod.

COMPLETE upper management.....this organization was gutted out completely other than the owner. Atlanta had NOTHING compared to that....

See, here in lies the problem...What do you want from this guy?! Blood? his children? His house and car? I mean you know full well that ALL decisions went throught the Ford family. It's not like he was some rogue VP of Operations guy that would make decisions and the Ford Family had nothing to do with it. You will NEVER, EVER get more answers because these guys will NEVER, EVER burn bridges. Had he wentout and spilled the beans, he would have NEVER, EVER had a job in football again...regardless if it would have been VP or a peanut seller...NO ONE would trust him....and definately not on TV, which is what he is aiming for because then he would inside information from ALL teams.

And there is a big difference between Matt and Al Davis....one is the employee and the other is the employer and he will always give more information...not as much as you want...but more info none the less.

Raider fans KNOW what the problem is....BUT the PROBLEM is....NO ONE can fire Al Davis. There is only TWO ways to get rid of him.....DEATH, he IS the modern day Fidel Castro of the NFL, as much as you want and think he is dead...he is a bad weed that keeps coming back. And if the owners pull a "Marge Schott" thing and yank her ownership like MLB did. But NONE of the NFL owners have the balls to do that, so that will never happen.

APOLOGY NOT ACCEPTED!

BTW, who do you think is going to hire him for a NFL team job? Burned bridges? Oh yeah, he's already done that. 0 and freaking 16.:mad: Stop defending this idiot. " I was suited for some parts of the job, and not, for other parts." I'm curious, which parts?

COMPLETE upper management.....this organization was gutted out completely other than the owner. Atlanta had NOTHING compared to that....

ATL got a new GM to go along with their new head coach also.

Sorry, but no team compared to the circus that surrounded that organization last year. I'm surprised you forgot after only 1 year.

APOLOGY NOT ACCEPTED!

BTW, who do you think is going to hire him for a NFL team job? Burned bridges? Oh yeah, he's already done that. 0 and freaking 16.:mad: Stop defending this idiot. " I was suited for some parts of the job, and not, for other parts." I'm curious, which parts?

Lol. I laughed when I heard that. How embarrassing.

Call that a good start.:D Again, I'll settle for answers. I'm not going to pay for his book detailing his "Daze" with the Lions.

Speaking of the Lions, it was 17 years ago today that they won that aforementioned only playoff win since 1957.

That was a time when Wozniak could brag about being a Lions fan!

Speaking of the Lions, it was 17 years ago today that they won that aforementioned only playoff win since 1957.

That was a time when Wozniak could brag about being a Lions fan!

Yeah, for one game. The next one was a royal ass kicking by the Redskins in the conference championship. It's been all downhill since then, finishing in 0-16. (Maybe not). Thank you Matt Millen.

i respect your opinion but i don't agree with it. the fins had a worse team,they too did some major overhauling and they only won 1 game last season. the falcons won 4 games last season. miami accomplished one of the biggest turnarounds in NFL history. If that doesn't deserve the coach of the year award then what does? do you need to have some on and off the field drama to win coach of the year? didn't the idiot of cam cameron further destroy this team last year? Hell I wish he would've bailed out on us like bobby petrino did in atlanta. as I recall he wasn't doing a very good job either so no big loss there. that's my opinion. :)

Here's a good writeup on why the Bolts have Manning's number:

Hocus-pocus defense was fun while it lasted

"... Anyway, it was fascinating to watch Rivera's show, put on to counter Manning's manic performance prior to every snap. The idea was to confuse Manning as much as he tries to confuse defenses, walking up and down the line of scrimmage in the no-huddle, barking this and that, waving his arms, and generally waiting as long as he can before actually calling a play he probably already has called.

Saturday night, Manning's act – and that's what it is, most of the time – fell flat.

As Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith put it: “Here's a little hocus-pocus to match your hocus-pocus.”

Rivera gave Manning a mirror to look into. His linemen, linebackers and DBs were jumping from place to place, darting into the line and back out, pretending to listen in to Manning's signals, with Cooper, the defensive quarterback, yapping out changes in scheme – or making the cerebral QB think change was being made. ..."

Here's a good writeup on why the Bolts have Manning's number:

Hocus-pocus defense was fun while it lasted

"... Anyway, it was fascinating to watch Rivera's show, put on to counter Manning's manic performance prior to every snap. The idea was to confuse Manning as much as he tries to confuse defenses, walking up and down the line of scrimmage in the no-huddle, barking this and that, waving his arms, and generally waiting as long as he can before actually calling a play he probably already has called.

Saturday night, Manning's act – and that's what it is, most of the time – fell flat.

As Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith put it: “Here's a little hocus-pocus to match your hocus-pocus.”

Rivera gave Manning a mirror to look into. His linemen, linebackers and DBs were jumping from place to place, darting into the line and back out, pretending to listen in to Manning's signals, with Cooper, the defensive quarterback, yapping out changes in scheme – or making the cerebral QB think change was being made. ..."

Ya know, after watching Manning do this day after day, ya gotta think the O linemen would slap the sh*t out of him ....
He gets them in thier stance with like 25 sec. left on the play clock and plays his games ... it's amazing that they don't get more false starts calls.

The O line is VERY disciplined.

Jimbo

Cardinals on the S.I. Cover:

0114_large.jpg

BRING ON THOSE CAROLINA KITTY CATS!

I ain't afraid of them Panthers, anders!

What Are the Mets Thinking?

Any of your teams have special food-related promotions?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts