What's the latest news on the new bird called Anik-F3?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
kstuart: According to http://www.npr.org/everywhere/ there are 1% of the audience that cannot get NPR on domestic AM/FM. If the goal is to get a signal to everybody then an FTA radio channel could do the trick. No doubt the 1% are all altruistic people who are happy to pay for a service they do not enjoy, gaining comfort from the fact that others are having fun while they practice their stoicism and self-flagellation.

Do we say to the 1% "well you can get it on Sirius or internet"? Unless you have broadband I would say an investment in an FTA setup would bring a higher reward. The Sirius channels are a good gesture to that audience, but should have no bearing on whether it is also offered via FTA.

NPR and CBC are both national public broadcasters, faced with the issue of getting at least a basic signal to every part of the domain. For some reason FTA is not considered. A channel on a new Anik, no doubt destined for even more pay per vu movies and satellite gambling, would be one solution.

Iceberg: thank goodness for MPR, without which there would be no Garrison Keillor, well-respected feline enthusiast and story-teller.

yeah...

In fact, aside from our geographical location, I think you'd find the culture and people are pretty much the same. I live right on the US Canada border. In fact my son's mother is American so he has the unique distinction of having a parent in both countries and thereby having dual citizenship. There are certain things that are a little different but for the most part we're very similar people. Consider that much of our ancestry stems from the same places and it's not hard to see why there are similarities. There is a lot of nature and beautiful scenery around here. There is a lot of undeveloped natural wilderness etc. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I know of some folks from the States that seem to think it's a whole different world where really, things up here are very much the same as they are there...........only colder! :) Although global warming is taking care of that........soon it'll be the only place that's tolerable!

But back to the topic.............I think that largely Canada is missing out on one huge way to promote ourselves. I am glad to hear that so many people enjoy Canadian programming, shows that I've enjoyed for years. That says a lot........wonder what it would take to get Canada to look into broadcasting at least a few channels FTA?

It's a little ironic in that the Canadian government wants to promote Canadian culture with regulations on limiting USA TV shows, etc.. but yet they dont want to provide the funds for any Canadian FTA channels.. d'oh! What's up with that.... yes, it's ashame that Canada is missing out on promoting its culture, tourism, etc with FTA channels...

kstuart: According to http://www.npr.org/everywhere/ there are 1% of the audience that cannot get NPR on domestic AM/FM.
I looked that info and its funny how they say that almost everyone can get it. The MN stations have a smidge of NPR yet they claim that channel. They even say the classical station has it too?

Iceberg: thank goodness for MPR, without which there would be no Garrison Keillor, well-respected feline enthusiast and story-teller.

so true :)

It's a little ironic in that the Canadian government wants to promote Canadian culture with regulations on limiting USA TV shows, etc.. but yet they dont want to provide the funds for any Canadian FTA channels.. d'oh! What's up with that.... yes, it's ashame that Canada is missing out on promoting its culture, tourism, etc with FTA channels...

It's not like they would even have to have a completely different station for it, just put CBC or CTV on FTA..........perhaps some other channels with ethnic content. APTN (aboriginal people's tv network) or something similar might be appropriate.

In New Orleans, NPR is on a classical station located on the campus of the University of New Orleans. I believe it is also available on a non-profit Jazz station as well, WWOZ, but I'm not sure...

I'm curious to see the shuffling on this one and what stays put. AMC 16 was setup for 24 KU TP's in circular mode for E*. I wonder if E* is leasing all 32 KU TP's on this bird? I'm sure it will be in circular mode too as they'd have lots of Dish1000+ users left high and dry.

I'm watching the launch and they stated that Echostar would use all of the ku band. Someone else will be using the ka band. It doesn't sound like they have anyone signed up for Cband at this time. They hope to have Anik F3 in service in May.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Noob FTA questions

Help! My Pansat 2700a isnt responding to the IR remote anymore!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts