What's the latest news on the new bird called Anik-F3?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

N5XZS

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 23, 2005
Albuquerque, NM, USA
I heard the new bird will be at 118W* and what kind of services it will be on?

Hoping for a FTA Canada's channels.:hungry:

Any news on that?

If I remember, some of the transponders will be used for CANCOM stuff and be moved from F2. CANCOM is the uplink for cable companies to grab channels from.

Starchoice will be using those TP's on F2 (111.1) for more channels and HD.

Thanks Iceberg!!

This new baby should be launching pretty soon this month, and should get on the air pretty soon and I hope the footprint's covereges should be very good even here in New Mexico.:)

Hoping for a FTA Canada's channels.

In my scant couple of months of experience DXing FTA on a small dish I have been delighted to find all kinds of stuff from other countries, particularly U.S., Mexico, Colombia, Cuba, Spain, Germany, France, Canary Islands, Italy, Greece et al... and horrified to find that there is almost nothing of a Canadian nature, except for occasional documentaries produced in Canada deemed good enough to be broadcast from outside Canada.

Maybe I am missing something. My concern is that Canada is missing an opportunity to 'get the message out.' I am coming to the conclusion that the Canadian broadcast arena is so tightly controlled by the commercial broadcasters that they are missing out on a good audience for institutional advertising via FTA.

What do others think? Are you learning anything about Canada as a result of channel surfing on FTA small dish?

Well..........as a Canadian (like yourself) I learned years ago that the CRTC (Canadian version of the FCC for those who don't know) along with the various companies broadcasting via satellite don't give a rat's ass about providing anyone (especially Canadians) with viable viewing options for rural areas. What I'm speaking of is Cancom back in the 90's just all of a sudden cut their service to what was likely hundreds of thousands of homes. It was a simple setup, most in this area just had a 6' mesh dish pointed at (correct me if I'm wrong) Anik A2. With that you could recieve encrypted signals from Cancom and with a rental descrambler you could actually watch the roughly dozen channels offered. After they stopped offering service, there was literally no Canadian based programming (aside from the CBC feeds on A1) available to the general public who was not serviced by cable.
At present, I think you're right, there is nothing available FTA from Canada.......I'd like to see some CBC or CTV feeds at the very least............but even some special interest stations etc. would be nice. What have I learned about my country as a result of surfing FTA? NOTHING!!

It would be nice if Canada has one national FTA satellite TV station. I would love to learn more about Canada and Canadians.

The late Peter Jennings, a Canadian, was a great news anchorman and I miss his balanced reporting and interviews.

The CBC was FTA for a long time but sadly issues like sports and the programming on it (at the time they had stuff here in the US too) they scrambled

There was a channel on ExpressVu that would show newscasts from across canada and that was FTA too...but that went before the audio channels did :(

Right now there are a few Canadian channels FTA but they're on C-Band
-Weather Network
-SRC (French version of CBC)
-ASN (Atlantic Satellite Network)...this one has some syndicated shows and I think one newscast
-Tele Quebec (French kids type channel)

It would be nice if Canada has one national FTA satellite TV station. I would love to learn more about Canada and Canadians.

The late Peter Jennings, a Canadian, was a great news anchorman and I miss his balanced reporting and interviews.

What would you like to know eh?!?!
Some other great Canadians, John Candy, Leslie Neilson, Pamela Anderson, Paul Schaffer, Paul Anka, Dan Akroyd, Neve Campbell, Jim Carrey, Tommy Chong (no kidding, I didn't even know that), Michael J. Fox, Brendan Fraser, Monty Hall, Phil Hartman.........the list is long and yeah, some of them are perhaps "not so great"...........

Inno you forgot Stompin Tom?
I miss the Canadian tv a lot too, the first C-band channel I ever picked up, on my first sat dish, was CBC-North. I would've never heard of Hockey Night in Canada except for those free channels. not to mention Don Cherry lol
Oh well, It was great while it lasted!

I was more refering to Canadian celebs. that might also be known in the states......but, no list would be complete without Canada's Country Gentleman........hmmmm, in thinking about it, Don Cherry likely wears suits made from Tommy Hunter's old backdrops.........and Stompin' Tom......there's a classic!!!!

I also am kinda irked that cbc is encrypted, its mandate

http://www.cbc.radio-canada.ca/about/mandate.shtml

is to be made available throughout Canada by the most appropriate and efficient means and as resources become available for the purpose.

unfortunatly, its mandate is not to provide this signal for free :( imo it should be.

paying for cbc on sat, and on sirrius is a big irk for me. btw I dont even get cbc ota as their afiliate cfjc here in Kamloops switch to a ctv affiliate and cbc determined that its to expensive to install a ATSC tower, and no point installing a stadnard ota tower as they are soon to be outdated, so in a town of 90,000 we have no cbc :(

so basically they create programming and dont really care about how to deliver this content they create.

I love cbc content, I just dont feel I should have to pay for it

end rant.

updatelee: Can't agree more. Fundamentally Canadian content should be on at least one FTA channel so that anyone anywhere in Canada can get basic content regardless of personal circumstances. The CBC affiliate here is also wacky with regard to Canadian content, frequently at complete divergence with what national CBC is doing. The affiliate programme is broken.

FTA of Canadian content broadcast outside Canada is another issue. The tourism industry is missing out on an opportunity to advertise to a significant audience. The FTA community must consist of thoughtful, discerning people (hackers aside) to get the signals at all; these are just the kind of people you want to sell to since likely they will pass the message on.

I know many will disagree with this, but I was disappointed when CBC got the rights to Hockey Night in Canada again. Maybe if that revenue stream had dried up then CBC would be forced to go back to its mandate and try to figure out what it should be doing, keeping Canadians informed, not supplied with Gladiatorial combat, bread and circuses.

yep use to love the canadian programs back in the c band days watch it more than anything else. it would be nice to have more fta channels from canada.:)

I don't know, but if its that close to 119w, doing a blind scan for "ALL" (vs "FTA only") is going to be a royal pain in the @$$ :)

Am I missing something here? AMC-16 currently at 118.75 is moving back to 82W because of this bird going up, and is going to make some brief stops on the way back to test the KA payload at two positions that E* has licenses for. I'm sure E* isn't going to just drop the HD markets and the other international channels at 118.75.

I don't know, but if its that close to 119w, doing a blind scan for "ALL" (vs "FTA only") is going to be a royal pain in the @$$ :)

why would it?

118.75 is LNB LO 10750 and 119 is 11250. So it takes me 2 separate scans to get all of them

paying for cbc on sat, and on sirrius is a big irk for me. btw I dont even get cbc ota as their afiliate cfjc here in Kamloops switch to a ctv affiliate and cbc determined that its to expensive to install a ATSC tower, and no point installing a stadnard ota tower as they are soon to be outdated, so in a town of 90,000 we have no cbc :(
actually its a CH affiliate. That just seems weird that CBC decided not to put a transmitter in Kamloops. They already have a SRC transmitter there. They could piggyback off of that.

I love cbc content, I just dont feel I should have to pay for it

I don't blame you. It seems weird that most cities have a CBC transmitter (at least the semi-big cities) but Kamloops doesn't

I was always under the impression that CBC was "Canada's network" and as such (and being as how it was the very first television network in Canada) that it was supposed to be made available to ALL Canadians. I know in my area (and many others just like it) which is pretty rural that you can get CBC Winnipeg OTA with a pretty small antenna, even rabbit ears in some places. It's a pretty strong signal with probably a 60 mile or so radius. Better yet, TV Ontario provided a satellite downlink and transmitter to most small northern communities and reserves not served by a cable system........that was in place in the late 80s and as far as I know is still running in most communities where it was originally installed. Now the CBC is government funded as is TVO so I really don't see why the CBC can't do better...........although TVO is no longer available FTA either. It used to be FTA on Ku band analog, not sure when that changed.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Noob FTA questions

Help! My Pansat 2700a isnt responding to the IR remote anymore!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)