What S/W do you use to find your southern most SAT?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dvdmkr

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
I'm confused with finding correct elevation, longitude, latitude.
My ZIP is 21042 btw.

I used Satellite Finder v4.3 from the internet, and the longitude and latitude that gives me a bit wrong from My Location

Satellite Finder says my Latitude is 39" 16.356, Longitude is 76" 51.684
But, the Census website is telling a bit differently.

And also, Declination is way wrong.
-11.62, calculated from Satellite Finder 4.3,
But from this one site, (I can't not remember. I have it bookmarked in my home computer), telling me my declination is 10.55, and the manual from MOTECK SG2100 is telling me my deinclination is 6.142 because my Latitude is 39.

Even with all this confusions, I (think) I found my TRUE SOUTH SAT which is AMC5. I could go either SBS 6 or AMC 5, but I chose AMC 5 because, my coolsat has AMC 5 listed in the reciever.
Anyway, I'm getting 80% Level, 69% Quality. (Is it too low??) I scanned the SAT, and I found most of channels those are listed in Lyngsat.
Then I moved my dish to Telstar 5, and I get around 80% level, and the quality goes up and down from 1 to 7%.

I really don't know what I'm doing wrong here. I thought I had correct settings, but I think not.

Could someone help me with this??? and Could someone tell me what S/W you use to find Elevation, Longitude, Latitude, and Magnetic Declination?

Thanks so much!

I found that the altitude I was told to set my dish at, was actually off by a little bit.

Now that you have the dish pointed at T5, you should only have to move the LNB arm a wee bit to get a better signal quality. When you get up near 70-80 percent (give or take, depending on how much patience you have :)), move it back to AMC5 and check it.

Once both satellites can be found with the motor with a decent sig strength and quality, your motor should track all satellites properly.

Your latitude and longitude is 39.26 and 76.89.

Elburn is right, the dish elevation may be off by a couple of degrees. Most important thing is to make sure it is set right on the motor-the "Latitude" scale should be 39 (or just a smidge above if you can) and the "Elevation" scale should read 24. Then aim at TS and peak the signal by adjusting the dish elevation only.

Thanks! I will try that tonight.

btw, What is the Magnetic Declination value for my location?

is it -11.62 ( From satellite finder v4.3) or 10.55??

How do you find the Declination value for your location??

Thanks again!!!

Not sure, but all you really need are the values in the 2100 manual-I am aware of no errors in that. I used those and peaked my dish elevation and it worked great-once I removed some branches blocking LOS to my TS bird that is!

Thanks again..
I will try that again tonight.

One more Q.

When you calculate Angle of the Dish(From Moteck Manual, Setting Declination Angle), Do you

40 minus Declination Angle(From the Moteck Manual) ?
or
(From Middle of Sadoun Motor Setup , angle calculation for Moteck mortor)

30 minus Declination Angle ?

Thanks so much for your help!

The original (long time ago) SG2100 mount was 40 degrees minus declination.
But if you buy the motor recently, the setting should be 30 DEGREES MINUS DECLINATION.

Thanks again!
Can't wait to try that.
I've been trying to set this up for last 4 days. Skipped one day, because of rain.

Thanks a lot!!! :bow

Wish me luck!!!

Sorry, I goofed up! :eek: :sorry:

I am not sure what the declination angle is for you but you really don't need it. The experts can chime in and fill you in about that. But all you really need is the table on page 7 of the 2100 manual.

Latitude is 39. So set that on your motor as close as possible and lock down. The "Elevation Angle" (51) should "fall into place" but you might have to adjust it a smidge. Once both of those values are correct on the motor (for sure) lock it down nice and tight. The "Dish Bracket Angle" (24) is what you start the dish at, then adjust slightly from there as needed to peak the signal. But why listen to me (I am still new) when you have experts like Tron. Here is a link to his great walkthrough that I recommend highly-its on page 2 of the thread:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=75357&page=2&pp=15&highlight=walkthrough

So, you can figure out the declination angle and all the technical stuff if you want, but it's easy to just read the 2100 table. You know what they say-keep it simple!

Thanks everyone.
I will give a try tonight, and let you all know.

Thanks again for your big help!

Thank You, Thank You!!
I've got the birds and scanned them.
AND, I'm WATCHING TV.

THIS IS A GREAT!!!

:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Pansat 3500s Updating Firmware Via SD Card

NO Scrambled Channels on T5 using VS2000

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)