USB Hub for EHD and Fan

KAB

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 20, 2005
Fishers, IN
Will both work, with a hub in the rear of 722K, or does one need to be in front?

I have my laptop cooler plugged into the back, with a passthru connector, and my EHD plugged in to that.

Of course, if you're using a hub, you'll only want one of the HDDs powered up at a time.

I have my laptop cooler plugged into the back, with a passthru connector, and my EHD plugged in to that.

Of course, if you're using a hub, you'll only want one of the HDDs powered up at a time.
Just want to use ONE EHD and Fan at a time. So again, will that work or will the fan confuse the 722?

The receivers do not support USB hubs YET.... however I hear they are working on it and will be able to hook up more then one EHD to your receiver. :)

Since the receiver does NOT "know" that a fan is plugged into the USB port there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to use a hub to plug both the fan and EHD into the same port since you "can" plug in a hub with no problem. (I have just my EHD plugged into a powered hub because before I used the hub every time the receiver was rebooted it caused the EHD to turn on and I like it off unless I want to actually use it.)

Are these fans, usb or otherwise thermostatically controlled or do they just run all the time?

get a usb power adapter and plug the fan into that. like the little kind that are used to power iPod's, iPhones, etc. Plug the fan pad into that, and then the Hard drive into the USB port of the reviver. Then, nothing sticks out the front, and both can be running at the same time without a hub.

apple_iphone_3g_power_adapter_250x250.jpg

Will both work, with a hub in the rear of 722K, or does one need to be in front?

I don't know how much of a difference there is between the 722 and the 722K, but I'm using a hub plugged into the back for my EHD and fan on my 722.

Are these fans, usb or otherwise thermostatically controlled or do they just run all the time?

The Antec laptop coolers I use under my ViP722 DVRs have hi/lo switches. And a blue LED on the side to indicate power. I keep mine on lo, never hear them.

The motherboard for 622/722 covers the entire inside of the unit and all the heat is on top, so laptop coolers are band aid at best.

just get a wall to usb adapter for the fan,my kid has one he used for his ipod, used it and its working for the fan, no need for a hub here in my case
Edit,sorry did not read past the second page of the thread(DO'H), props to sdschramm for posting this idea

Attachments

• USB-WALL-CHARGER-L.jpg
    USB-WALL-CHARGER-L.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 209

loosing channel 205 late afternoon

Anyone with a 722k,, please respond, I need HELP!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts