Paramount +

In what respect? Certainly can't be hardware specs. I'd be curious to know what streaming devices out there have more than 4GB of RAM and score better than the A15 Bionic on CPU tests. My only real complaint is the way it handles audio.
Audio issues, syncing, not getting the top quality available, etc are the main issues. Up-conversion is also been beat by the other 2 devices, so they produce a better image. Codec support and Plex for people streaming their library. Plus the gaming that a smaller subset of people even use. A lot of the stuff would not be considered consumer usage though.

If Apple comes out with a new version, I'm sure they will take the top again (unless Nvidia also releases an update but that's on hold until after the Switch release if ever), but right now they aren't worth it unless you just want to stay with the Apple UI. As purely a consumer device it is way over priced for a UI that you like.

You guys are getting me interested in the Apple TV. But the below gives me pause. I’ll read the details but I’m guessing the older yet more expensive one has more memory.
View attachment 174975

I have a couple of Rokus, a Roku TV and a firestick. Stopped using the firestick because it was faster than my Sony TV, but started losing audio. Made no difference if it was plugged into the TV or the AVR. So I went back to the Sony built in smarts. A little slower but rarely lose audio.

Maybe I should move a Roku to the Sony and see how that works.
The older 2021 4K has the A12 Bionic chip, ethernet, an internal fan and uses lightning port for charging the remote. The newest 2022 64GB entry level model only has wifi. The remote now has a USB C charging port and the A15 bionic chip allowed for the removal of the fan. So the overall device is smaller. You need the most expensive 128GB model of the current version to get ethernet and Thread support.

I have both a 32GB 2021 4K model and a couple of the latest 2022 64GB 4k models. You can't really tell much difference in the daily use for the average consumer. I think the latest model is slightly quicker on navigation in the GUI, but it is miniscule. They both still blow away anything else I have or have used.

If you have a Sam's club membership the AppleTV's are usually on sale for $5 and $10 less than Apple and Bestbuy for both models.

Reactions: ncted
Audio issues, syncing, not getting the top quality available, etc are the main issues. Up-conversion is also been beat by the other 2 devices, so they produce a better image. Codec support and Plex for people streaming their library. Plus the gaming that a smaller subset of people even use. A lot of the stuff would not be considered consumer usage though.
Funny I don't have any audio or sync issues and the picture quality is excellent. Watching DIRECTV via the app on the Apple TV has much better quality then watching the same content via the any DIRECTV device other than the Gemini. The Gemini quality is also excellent. Also I have the Plex app installed on my Apple TV and watch from my Plex library and it works perfectly.

If Apple comes out with a new version, I'm sure they will take the top again (unless Nvidia also releases an update but that's on hold until after the Switch release if ever), but right now they aren't worth it unless you just want to stay with the Apple UI. As purely a consumer device it is way over priced for a UI that you like.
Yeah, it isn't perfect, but it is definitely the most performant hardware platform in my experience. The whole UI just operates very quickly compared to everything else out there. The only audio issue I see is the way it prevents you from just passing the original audio through, and that is a big one for a lot of people, so I get it. It does it for video, as well as any others, but why not audio? I never see any audio sync problems like I used to on the FireStick though. As for video upscaling, I found my Sony TV from 2020 did a better job than the Shield's "AI" upscaling, especially in dark, noisy scenes, so I just passed through the native video and let the TV take care of it, and I do the same on the AppleTV. My other TVs are old or small enough not to matter.

I abandoned Plex because of their crappy software, but if you want an AppleTV to work correctly with different video codecs, Infuse solves that very well. Jellyfin is my media server of choice these days FWIW.

I actually switched from NVIDIA Shields to ATV4K because of a number of buggy behaviors, mostly due to audio over HDMI. I do miss the flexibility of the platform, but I am not the only user in the house, and the AppleTV "just works" for them in a way that Google, Amazon, and Roku products did not.

I have my parents using Roku, and that is what I'd recommend to anyone who came to me asking what they should get, unless I knew they were big Apple or Google fans.

Market share rarely if ever enters into my tech buying and using decisions. Most reviews I've seen rate AppleTV as the best by various comparisons. Which is why I use it instead of the Roku or FireTV stick, both of which I also have.

But honestly, I almost always use the apps installed on my 2020 vintage Sony. So far all my apps work flawlessly. Occasionally Apple TV supplies better picture or sound quality but most of the time the TV apps work just fine.
I'm gonna guess your an iPhone person ...

The 2024 Roku Ultra is on sale for $79.

Bought one a week ago when released, it is amazingly fast, even over the 2022 model, every app works ( I have a lot) perfectly.

My TV is also a 2024 model (98” TCL QM85) and the TV apps are incredibly slow compared to the new Roku.
I'm not in that big of a Hurry, unless its trying to jump between games.

I bought a few Roku Ultras last year ...
How does This years compare ???

Amazon may have some discounts the next two days for their Prime Days sale.
I wish Amazon would just put everything they are going to have discounts on, on sale for the duration of the Prime Days ... instead of making them an hour or so at a time.
I'm not going to sit on thier site for 2 days waiting.

Are you not the one, who complains it takes too long to switch and use apps, compared to Traditional Live TV.
I bought a few Roku Ultras last year ...
How does This years compare ???
A lot faster.

Moved the previous 2022 model outside to replace an older stick.

Are you not the one, who complains it takes too long to switch and use apps, compared to Traditional Live TV.

A lot faster.

Moved the previous 2022 model outside to replace an older stick.
YES, thats why I posted what I did above ...

I wish Amazon would just put everything they are going to have discounts on, on sale for the duration of the Prime Days ... instead of making them an hour or so at a time.
I'm not going to sit on thier site for 2 days waiting.
Good, don't fall for their gimmick.

I think they are just trying to bring back the Black Friday feeding frenzy. I refuse to participate.

So let’s say there are games on CBS (Paramount+), NBC (Peacock), ESPN+ etc…

Start each game up on the Apple TV. When you do each game is added to the Up Next row in the main Apple TV UI. Once all of your games are in Up Next click on one to watch. Want to switch to another? Hit the Home button on the remote. Select another game to launch back to it. Hit the Home button click on another one and so forth…

Start each game up on the Apple TV. When you do each game is added to the Up Next row in the main Apple TV UI. Once all of your games are in Up Next click on one to watch. Want to switch to another? Hit the Home button on the remote. Select another game to launch back to it. Hit the Home button click on another one and so forth…
Or double-click Home and switch directly between the apps.

IF I was going to do that ... I'd sign up for YTTV.

My issue is when a Game is on YTTV and OTA as well, theres no quick way to go between the Streaming App and the OTA station.

Does B/R Sports on Max have MLB postseason games from TBS?