Paramount +

I have Paramount+ and my issue is with Live TV. My ISP is ATT Air Home Internet, which frequently gives me a Chicago IP, so Paramount+ thinks I am in Chicago. So I only get CBS Chicago, not my local.
So, I just changed my router (went from pfsense to opnsense in the process). I went from getting Wichita local CBS station in Paramount+ to getting the Raleigh, NC local station. I checked my old IP in several online geolocation databases, and discovered it was not in several of them, while the new IP is in all of them. Paramount+ seems to rely solely on one of these databases which is missing data for my old IP, instead of also using GPS location. I suspect this is similar to your problem in that Paramount+ is only using the IP data to determine your location.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I suspect this is similar to your problem in that Paramount+ is only using the IP data to determine your location.

I now think it depends on the device. I get Chicago on my Roku, since there's no way for P+ to use GPS there, only IP. But on my phone, I get Kansas City, since the P+ iPhone app can locate me via true GPS.

Reactions: ncted
The 4K inconsistency is not that big of a deal to me, since I usually can't tell the difference between HD and 4K. However, I do notice and appreciate the shows that are HDR.

The biggest problem I have with Paramount+ is that sometimes when trying to watch a movie the screen goes black and stays black. I have to exit the Paramount+ app and then restart it, which usually solves the problem. I don't have this problem with other apps, so I am pretty sure that it is not a problem with my internet, which is fiber optic.

Anyone else with this problem?
I have a Firestick 4k connected to a LG OLED. I have to try 2-3 times to get Paramount + to load. I have a 2nd LG OLED using a ROKU 4k device and never have a problem loading the Paramount+ app.

I have a Firestick 4k connected to a LG OLED. I have to try 2-3 times to get Paramount + to load. I have a 2nd LG OLED using a ROKU 4k device and never have a problem loading the Paramount+ app.
Fire units have always had issues with certain apps, the Paramount issue is widely known.

Just bought the new Roku Ultra, had it for a week now, so much faster then the 2022 model ( which was moved to the outdoor theater, replacing a older stick), every app has worked perfectly.

Honestly, your best bet will always be an Apple TV because of how the ecosystems work. Developers build apps for Apple and Android. Apple device code is fairly uniform across all OS platforms (iOS, iPadOS, tvOS) and so your chances of stability are highest there.

Android apps are also high priority, but because of how Android is fragmented, you'll always have a bit less luck there. Android TV and Fire TV are pretty much forks off main Android and are usually a few versions behind the latest Android LTS for phones. This leads to some feature breakage and reliability problems. LIke anything YMMV and some people experience zero problems, while others just have a terrible experience.

These days, I think Roku increasingly falls in between Apple and Android. Developers are really starting to target that for their apps and I welcome that. Most people are very happy with the Roku ecosystem, so if you're not an Apple guy, you probably should go with that.

Personally, I had a lot of FireTV devices but the reliability started declining and the ads started increasing. I think I only have one Fire Stick left now and it's in a room I barely watch TV in.

These days, I think Roku increasingly falls in between Apple and Android. Developers are really starting to target that for their apps and I welcome that. Most people are very happy with the Roku ecosystem, so if you're not an Apple guy, you probably should go with that.
Apple’s streaming device, while increasing, has a real low market share-

• Roku leads the North American CTV device market with 48% SOV
  • Samsung Smart TV ranks second with 10% SOV, -49% YoY from Q1 2023 to Q1 2024
  • Amazon Fire TV ranks third with 10% SOV
  • Apple TV ranks fourth with 8% SOV, increasing +58% YoY from Q1 2023 to Q1 2024

Does B/R Sports on Max have MLB postseason games from TBS?