no hd signal?

carrera 993

Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
hi guys, i finally got my 811 hd reciever, my friend gave me a 500 dish he no longer used, so after swapping dishes and the lnb head i was getting a signal strength of (85) 119 and 110, just for shitz and giggles i clicked the (dish 500) icon on my 4000 reciever and also did a switch check. it acknowleged it had a quad 500 and still had good signal strength. it looked good to me and recieved all normal dish channels. then i swapped out the 4000 reciever and slaved in the 811 and recieved no signal at all nor did it find any switches.

do you have any ideas?

thanks!!

Well I assume on the 4000 receiver you used a legacy adapter right? Did you remember to remove the adapter when you plugged in the 811?

Are you able to get channel 101? If so you can try to tune in your local OTA analogs and digitals stations (assuming you have a TV antenna connected). The smart card in your 4000 contains all your satellite programming or you may have to call Dishnetwork for activation (but you should always get channel 101 if your connected to the dish).

When checking signal strength try all transponders on both 110 and 119. See if you can get higher than 85 but if not you'll need to tweek the dish position. Some transponders are above 100 because spot beams are used. But if your 4000 had no problems then double check your connections (correct inputs, etc), it has to work.

thanks guys for the help....

si, just meant i removed 4000 and hooked up 811

bfg, not sure what type of adapter you are referring too, please describe, nothing is inline between the lnb's and the reciever.

jerge, i kept my air antenna out of the mix for now, dish said i didnt need a card for the 811 ??? i hooked the 4000 up again today and here is what it read on the switch check page.

installed switch model = 500 quad

input 1 1 2 2
sat 119 119 110 110
polarity odd even odd even

status sat. reception verified
119 transponder 19 90 signal strength
110 spotbeam 8 90 signal strength

i couldnt find any channels out of the norm (hd)

It you hook up the 811 and do a check switch you should go through 38 checks because you have a legacy LNB. You should get the same info on the check switch screen as the 4000 or you have a bad receiver (811). There is no smart card in the 811. Use transponder 11 for your check switch.

Wally

Actually, for signal strengths, the "standard" is to use Tps 11 AND 12 on 110 AND 119. That gives a tech a decent idea of what's going on. ;)

Anyway, it sounds like you've got it running?

I sounds like there's nothing wrong with your dish antenna and I pretty sure that the 811 handles both legacy and dishpro LNBs. The switch test seems to suggest you might have two individual LNBs with a SW21 (aka dish500 upgrade) [this is what I had] versus the twin LNB. But I could be wrong about that because I never had that type LNB.

When you connect the 811 you're connecting the dish to the input that has the dish symbol next to it, correct? Are you getting any kind of display when you enter the menu features? If not which output are you using the s-video, composite, component or DVI output?

It sounding like a problem with the 811 and if so contact E*.

Jergen:

Yes, "modern" (3-digit model number) receivers can handle Legacy or DishPro LNBFs. Legacy (4-digit) boxes need an adapter when used with DP LNBFs. The DPPlus LNBFs & switches effectively have the adapter built-in - although there are some installation limitations.

Apparently you missed where he said the switch test reported "500 Quad". That's a Legacy unit. DishPro version would report "DP Quad".

Monthly Cost for a Two Tuner Rcvr

New (?) NBR documentation

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)