NFL Sunday Ticket 2007 pricing

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well now I do know (I didn't before) so thanks Iceberg. This will save me money on an FTA system. :) I am surprised that nobody picked up that I was a sub to NFLST, we love football too and play fantasy football.

DirecTV just keeps overstepping what is fair. I have had the ticket for like 8 years, the first 4 I think it went up $20 total at the rate of like $5 a season. Once it crossed the $200 mark, I began to question the value.

For those traitors .. uh um .. fans ;) I can see how it would be priceless (unless your a Texans fan).

All statements above are the opinion of powermax and do not reflect those of satelliteguys.us

What's not "fair"?.....You just posted that you question the value of the ST....Well time to decide if the package is valuable enough for you to purchase. Or not.

So let's have it your way...the NFL by your decree now must provide all games to all markets. You want that free of charge as well? How bout they water the product down further..How about NFL in demand?....No commercials?...
The NFL penalizes the local fans with blackouts because THEY DON"T BUY TIX ..The blackout rule protects the ticket buyers. I agree with it.
One other thing.....You as a consumer have the option to purchase a satellite syetem that offers a package to see up to14 games per week for the low price of 21 dollars per month over 11 payments......quite a deal..

I don't expect the NFL to provide all games to all markets free of charge. That's what the ST is for.

No commercials sound good, but absolutely not practical.

Yes, the NFL penalizes the local fans for not buying tickets. It's not the fan's fault that the teams they want to see can't field a team worth buying tickets to see. I don't feel that is fair to the viewer, but I can see your point as well.

21 bucks a month for 11 months is not a bad deal if the product was a little better. This is not a problem with the NFL either, it is more a technical issue with compression. DTV has always claimed to have the clearest picture quality and I heard even DVD quality. They do have a clear picture, but the compression is ridiculous and doesn't seem to be getting any better. If DTV found a way to get rid of the compression artifacts on all of their sporting events I could see paying the package price for any of the sports....even the NFL Sunday Ticket.

How much money would you spend each Sunday on drinks and food ?
A few of the others have done a few threads about this.

At $ 225. ST+ 100 for SF = 325 * 17 weeks comes to a little over $ 19. a week.
I know it doesn't take much to eat and have a beer or two and spend more than $20, and I'm not a big drinker.

So I would say it is much cheaper for me to buy the ST and have my beer handy in the fridge.

Jimbo

That's assuming that NONE of my teams games are ever on OTA. For instance, my team is the Steelers. I think by last count I got to see them six times without leaving the house. If all I care about is one team for instance, then it goes down to 16 Sundays, minus the 6 that I got a home which is 10 dates. Divide that into the $325 and you get $32.50. A handy sum to add to the meal that I eat out every Sunday anyway.

But the money to me really isn't the point. Here there is a Steelers fan club, about 60 or so Steeler crazy people. That's a lot more fun than sitting home alone and watching it.

The issue really to me is that I then get to decide if I want to go out that Sunday. If I buy ST, I've spent it and I almost feel like I MUST stay at home and watch the games or I've wasted my money. I don't like being tied to the tube like that.

What's not "fair"?.....You just posted that you question the value of the ST....Well time to decide if the package is valuable enough for you to purchase. Or not.
Since I just sold my HR10-250 for $450.00 ... I am going to need to lean toward no on this.

The NFL penalizes the local fans with blackouts because THEY DON"T BUY TIX ..The blackout rule protects the ticket buyers. I agree with it.
LOL Funny you should mention that, since it is NOT TRUE. If that were the case then this rule would not apply in Denver and my dad lives there so I know it DOES. My dad was pissed before I setup his OTA because sometimes he could not get the game in HD even when it was on DirecTV and before you ask, no he could not get the SD version either.

Denver has sold out EVERY GAME since the late 1960's. :p

The blackouts are to protect local advertisers and they are pointless, unless you are one of those companies.

Well now I do know (I didn't before) so thanks Iceberg. This will save me money on an FTA system. :) I am surprised that nobody picked up that I was a sub to NFLST, we love football too and play fantasy football.

DirecTV just keeps overstepping what is fair. I have had the ticket for like 8 years, the first 4 I think it went up $20 total at the rate of like $5 a season. Once it crossed the $200 mark, I began to question the value.

For those traitors .. uh um .. fans ;) I can see how it would be priceless (unless your a Texans fan).

All statements above are the opinion of powermax and do not reflect those of satelliteguys.us

When I first bought the ST, it was $ 79. and we all thought that was alot.

Jimbo

21 bucks a month for 11 months is not a bad deal if the product was a little better. This is not a problem with the NFL either, it is more a technical issue with compression. DTV has always claimed to have the clearest picture quality and I heard even DVD quality. They do have a clear picture, but the compression is ridiculous and doesn't seem to be getting any better. If DTV found a way to get rid of the compression artifacts on all of their sporting events I could see paying the package price for any of the sports....even the NFL Sunday Ticket.

Next year, provided the sats are operational by the start of the football season.

Jimbo

That's assuming that NONE of my teams games are ever on OTA. For instance, my team is the Steelers. I think by last count I got to see them six times without leaving the house. If all I care about is one team for instance, then it goes down to 16 Sundays, minus the 6 that I got a home which is 10 dates. Divide that into the $325 and you get $32.50. A handy sum to add to the meal that I eat out every Sunday anyway.

But the money to me really isn't the point. Here there is a Steelers fan club, about 60 or so Steeler crazy people. That's a lot more fun than sitting home alone and watching it.

The issue really to me is that I then get to decide if I want to go out that Sunday. If I buy ST, I've spent it and I almost feel like I MUST stay at home and watch the games or I've wasted my money. I don't like being tied to the tube like that.

Now your talking an entirely different situation...
You have a group of people that you get together with each week, if that is you plan, then yes, ST would not be a very good idea for you.

As for me, I am a Steelers fan too and had like 4-5 games on network (including two with Cleveland) out of those 4-5 games, only 2 were in HD, therefore,I turned on the ST and watched it in HD, much better....

Jimbo

Since I just sold my HR10-250 for $450.00 ... I am going to need to lean toward no on this.

LOL Funny you should mention that, since it is NOT TRUE. If that were the case then this rule would not apply in Denver and my dad lives there so I know it DOES. My dad was pissed before I setup his OTA because sometimes he could not get the game in HD even when it was on DirecTV and before you ask, no he could not get the SD version either.

The blackouts are to protect local advertisers and they are pointless, unless you are one of those companies.

I do not think this is true, IF your game is sold out 72 hours before the game IT WILL be broadcast , NO BLACK OUT. I doubt that any of Denvers games were blacked out.

I see now that D* is now looking into monopolizing the MLB package ,wanting sole rights for distribution of it. I guess that will be the next sports package that will sky rocket in price, if that happens.

I see now that D* is now looking into monopolizing the MLB package ,wanting sole rights for distribution of it. I guess that will be the next sports package that will sky rocket in price, if that happens.

I don't mind price issues as much as "quality" ones. Prices go up, and I accept that. I just wish they'd deliver the "DVD quality picture" that they advertise. As it stands now, they fall miserably short of that claim.

Jeff

What's not true?..That the NFL blacks out games in markets where the game has not sold out 72 hrs befoire kickoff..Ok if the ticket buyers aren't part of the EQ, then who is..If it's the ad people then why use tix sales as the lone criteria?..
What does you dad in Denver have to do with anything?
What in Sam Hill are you refering to? You're all over the place on this..
The rules are what they are..It has nothing to do with whehter one can get the OTA signal or adverstisers or anything else..The NFL blacks out games to the home market of a team that does not sell out it's games 72 hrs prior to kickoff..Period..

The other blackout is that any game on Sunday Ticket will be blacked out if it's carried on your local station. This is the NFL's way to force you to watch your local station.

I do not think this is true, IF your game is sold out 72 hours before the game IT WILL be broadcast , NO BLACK OUT. I doubt that any of Denvers games were blacked out.

This is correct and should be that way it is, however, it is not. I went over this many times for my dad because he did not get it. Just this last season the game was on their local affiliate, KUSA IIRC, and it was on nationally ESPN and there were 2 different feeds ... my dad only got the local and ESPN was blocked. However, my sister got the game on ESPN HD via E* just 8 miles away from him!

72 hours I am not sure about but this quote is right from the broncos website.

"The Broncos have had a string of home sellouts for 36 consecutive years, longest in the AFC and second only to Washington in the NFC."

This is correct and should be that way it is, however, it is not. I went over this many times for my dad because he did not get it. Just this last season the game was on their local affiliate, KUSA IIRC, and it was on nationally ESPN and there were 2 different feeds ... my dad only got the local and ESPN was blocked. However, my sister got the game on ESPN HD via E* just 8 miles away from him!

So your saying the ESPN and/or ST feeds were blacked out but NOT his access to the local affiliate feed during a local home game? I am almost 100% sure that this has to do with the local affiliates carriage rights and their ability to force local blackout rules via the league onto ESPN and ST regardless of a sellout or not.

Whatever Dish does, doesn't necessarily make it right or the norm.

Last edited:
This is not a new deal - I paid $20/mo for this past season (2006). Although I thought it was 12 months, not 11 - but maybe I'm remembering wrong.

I didn't want to make the big payments for ST, but the $20 made it more bearable on the monthly pocketbook (even if I didn't actually save any money).

(I didn't notice there were so many pages to this thread until after I posted - sorry if someone posted this info already)

The other blackout is that any game on Sunday Ticket will be blacked out if it's carried on your local station. This is the NFL's way to force you to watch your local station.
That one has me scratching my head..IMO If one pays extra for the game pack, that person should be enetitled to all games aired...Ironically the home game is NOT blacked out on SF

I don't mind price issues as much as "quality" ones. Prices go up, and I accept that. I just wish they'd deliver the "DVD quality picture" that they advertise. As it stands now, they fall miserably short of that claim.

Jeff
I perfer better than DVD quality

Jimbo

Where did you see this? And how would that work?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Cstv 610

Frequent reboot of R10

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)