My dilemma .. thoughts to help please

mojodojo

Original poster
Oct 25, 2005
I am going to be moving into an apartment complex that offers SBC Home Entertainment through DishNetwork to apartments. This division of SBC gives satellite to apartment complexes without having the dish at every apartment.

Sounded great and I was excited to move off of Comcast to this. But that excitement just ended today.

They do not offer HD at this time, but said in the future (no timetable) they will offer HD. They do not offer DVR boxes, either, and said they will not in the future either. The no DVR got me more upset than the no HD.

So I started to think...what can I do. I am currently using Comcast HD/DVR. So I thought I would go buy a HD Receiver and antenna and use the SBC HE service for everything else other than local HD channels....and then also buy a Tivo or ReplayTV myself. But then I thought....I would need an HD DVR if I wanted to record off the OTA HD. I found Sony has an HD DVR, but only works with OTA and Cablecard...so that was a no go.

So now I am confused as can be trying to figure out what I can do. Don't use the SBC HE package and put a dish on my balcony (haven't moved in yet, so don't know if I face the right direction yet)? Use the SBC HE, buy a DVR and HD Receiver..and just not record HD? Get a PC DVR?

I don't want to spend a fortune, but would like to figure out the best thing I can do.

Any thoughts? Other HD DVR's other than Sony?

Thanks and sorry if this was a long rant.

I'd say stay away from the SBC bundle no matter what...

If you're used to comcast, but don't like it, it won't be so terrible to go back. I guess when you figure out if you have line of sight, the decision should be pretty simple from what I read...

LOS - Dish
No LOS - Comcast.

You should be able to get an sbc bundle without having to use the service thats built into the building now. Your thoughts of putting a dish on your balcony is a common one used by installers each day and does work easily, for it to work for you you must have a balcony that faces south - south west and is not obstructed by another building or tree's. Depending on where you are at in the country will determine what is considered an obstruction based on height. The coax will have to enter the aparment in one fashion or another but you really should avoid the use of "flat cable" to allow the cable to gain entry into the unit through a window or doorwall. What Ive done successfully is route the cable into the groove space that the sliding door passes along as it has a considerable gap, its just a matter of lifting the door up enough to pass the coax underneath and making sure its to the side of doors bottom groove.

The sbc bundle will save you on average $40 - $65 a month depending on the total package you get as compared to what you would with seperate services put together with each of the partners involved. Contact sbc directly and if you dont get your answers you wish then contact dishnetwork directly.

Thanks for the reply guys.

Here is the issue as I know it now. Since my apartment complex is using the SBC Home Entertainment service from a central location, I am told I cannot get DishNetwork directly with a dish on my patio. The SBC for apartments is a service seperate from the SBC bundle listed on the SBC website.

BUT they told me I can get Directv if I put the satellite on my patio.

I have read the FCC laws and looks like they can stop me from getting DishNetwork directly through Dish or SBC since they offer it from a central service. Now I could probably fight it because they do not offer HD yet and no DVR option..but I haven't even moved in yet, so I don't want to cause too much trouble.

So is Directv a good option? I have read good and bad about it as of late.

From the balcony I can get SouthEast line of sight. I am in Northern California...so is this good? I cannot get direct South line of sight, I believe.

Thanks for everyones replies! Great site.

They cant keep you from getting one service as opposed to another, sounds like they may be getting a percentage of the sale on directv if they said you can have them over dishnetwork. Its common for apartment blocks to be set up like that, there is a townhome sub here in the ann arbor michigan area that has dishnetwork setup on a commercial account at each building. Unfortunately I dont think it will last long as the subcontractor that put the systems in failed to put more than one dpp44 switch in for 10 units, did not include power inserters for said switches, did not leave any info about the systems.

Mojo, try talking to the owner or manager of the apartment complex.... they probably have a right of entry contract with a compant that is providing the service thru SBC. You could more then likely get ahold of that company and see about ordering the DVR and maybe suggest to them that they come out and upgrade their system for Hi-Def. There are a few complexes here in my area that are set upmae way, with DirecTV. I talked to the owner of one, he told me he signed a 5 year contract and got $15,000 for doing so. The tenants have to call the contracting company and NOT DirecTV to get satellite service... oh and by the way, cable is not an option.

No NBA on Charter?

Can't record OnDemand Movies and some other channels with DVR.