Charter claims they are going to provide better pricing

Bruce

Bender and Chloe, the real Members of the Year
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 29, 2003

Of course, there is a catch-

Spectrum said it will charge as low as $30 a month for its 500Mbps internet plan, or $40 a month for 1GB service, when either are bundled with two mobile lines or cable TV.

Of course, their Cable TV offering is priced in the DirecTV range, when you add in all the fees, like Broadcast Channels for one example.

There will be rate increases along the way. I belive you have to bundle services to get them rates
There are rate increase from all Live TV Providers, Charter is no exception.

Look at the massive increase of DirecTV (3rd increase in 21 Months), when a basic plan like Entertainment is going to be over $150 with a DVR and another box.

Then compare that to YTTV, who has only had three increases since it started in 2017, now $73 with the DVR and 3 rooms.

Reactions: John2021
Then compare that to YTTV, who has only had three increases since it started in 2017, now $73 with the DVR and 3 rooms.
As a self-proclaimed numbers person, you seem happy to ignore certain details to support your holy mission.

YTTV hit the ground at $35 with limited distribution. Now it is $72.99 which is a 114% price rise over six years.

There have been at least four price increases to get there, not three. Somewhere along the line, the price went to $40. In 2019, the price vaulted to $50. In 2020, the price vaulted again to $64.99. Most recently (April 2023), the price jumped to $72.99.

To be fair, YTTV expanded its offering significantly over that time but that has brought with it some baggage that subscribers didn't want while still not reeling in some channels that people felt were missing.

The value of any pay TV service (whether tradtional MVPD or streamer) is the cost per channel desired. Only now are the carriers doing something about it.

As a self-proclaimed numbers person, you seem happy to ignore certain details to support your holy mission.

YTTV hit the ground at $35 with limited distribution. Now it is $72.99 which is a 114% price rise over six years.
Who cares about the percentage, I care about the final costs.

Dish-package close to YTTV is America 120+ at $102.99, plus $14 for locals is $116.99, then a DVR is $10, plus one more box is $7, a total of $133.99, $60 more then YTTV.

DirecTV-package close is Choice, but no RSN or fee of course
$129.99 +DVR and 1 more Box, brings it too, over $150, a $77 difference.

There have been at least four price increases to get there, not three. Somewhere along the line, the price went to $40. In 2019, the price vaulted to $50. In 2020, the price vaulted again to $64.99. Most recently (April 2023), the price jumped to $72.99.
Started in 2017 at $35
First increase in 2019 to $50
Second in 2020 to $64.99
Third was in March 2023 to $72.99

So three increases since 2019, basically 5 years, DirecTV has had 3 in 21 months.
To be fair, YTTV expanded its offering significantly over that time but that has brought with it some baggage that subscribers didn't want while still not reeling in some channels that people felt were missing.
I agree, lot of channels that could go, but since that is true of other providers also, at a extremely more expensive pricing.

The biggest channels missing, RSNs, but those have about 1-3 years left.
The value of any pay TV service (whether tradtional MVPD or streamer) is the cost per channel desired. Only now are the carriers doing something about it.
Who is doing something about it?

DirecTV caved on Disney’s demands, even kept the channels Charter was able to get of.

Last edited:
Who cares about the percentage, I care about the final costs.
The point is that YTTV isn't immune to price hikes and it may well be that they end up where conventional MVPDs are now.
So three increases since 2019, basically 5 years, DirecTV has had 3 in 21 months.
According to a couple of sources, there was a $40 step. Either way, DIRECTV has gone up around 45% while YTTV has gone up 114%.
Who is doing something about it?
DISH has been doing something about it for several years by offering more granular packaging that allows the subscriber to substantially omit certain genres.

DIRECTV has now launched its effort in a big way with Disney.

Others (including live streaming services) will follow.

The point is that YTTV isn't immune to price hikes and it may well be that they end up where conventional MVPDs are now.

According to a couple of sources, there was a $40 step.
Post a link then to these sources, should be in your browser history, otherwise, just admit you were incorrect.

Either way, DIRECTV has gone up around 45% while YTTV has gone up 114%.
Again, who cares, if something that costs $5 went up 100%, it would only be $10.

When a lower number goes up, it is usually a higher percentage.

If a service goes from $70 to $84, $14 more, that is a 20% jump

But if a service goes from $130 to $144, the same $14, that is an about 10.7%.

But the fact does just change, DirecTV is now about double what YTTV cost, Dish is a close second to that.

DISH has been doing something about it for several years by offering more granular packaging that allows the subscriber to substantially omit certain genres.
Except those packages with less channels then YTTV, are still more expensive, especially when you add in the dvr and box charges.
DIRECTV has now launched its effort in a big way with Disney
….and completely failed at it.
Others (including live streaming services) will follow.
Possible, but even Spectrum, who did the same as DirecTV, while able to get rid of 8 channels, is still paying for stuff nobody wants via Charter-

Analysts at LightShed Partners, in a July 16 blog, noted the report from Puck’s John Ourand indicates less than 10% of Charter’s roughly 9.5 million Signature Select video package customers are activating Disney+ and questioned if the operator’s vision for video is wrong.

“Charter is back to where it started, stuffing video offerings into its bundle that the vast majority of its consumers do not use, which hurts the price/value of the video bundle,” wrote analysts led by Richard Greenfield. Meanwhile, Disney is getting paid $3-4 per subscriber per month by Charter for all 9.5 million subscribers even though less than 1 million might be using it

Post a link then to these sources, should be in your browser history, otherwise...

The above are different sources than the ones I was looking at yesterday. I offer them as they don't seem to have an axe to grind (versus a pay TV blog).
Again, who cares, if something that costs $5 went up 100%, it would only be $10.
If a train leaves Philadelphia at twice the speed of another train coming from Chicago...
When a lower number goes up, it is usually a higher percentage.
But over 100%?
But the fact does just change, DirecTV is now about double what YTTV cost, Dish is a close second to that.
It certainly doesn't but it does strongly suggest where the price is headed.

These price increases aren't limited to the live streaming services. Consider what has happened with Disney+, Max and Paramount+ in a rather short time.

The above are different sources than the ones I was looking at yesterday. I offer them as they don't seem to have an axe to grind (versus a pay TV blog).
and mine-

Since its launch in 2017 at $35 a month, YouTube TV has seen several price hikes. The price went up to $50 in 2019 before another increase to $64.99 in 2020.

When I signed up for YouTube TV in 2017, its $35 monthly price tag felt too good to be true.
In 2019, when the cost went up to $50, that felt more realistic. For the features and channel lineup, it was a great deal compared to other providers.

These price increases aren't limited to the live streaming services. Consider what has happened with Disney+, Max and Paramount+ in a rather short time.
And yet, the price gap between them and Cable/Satellite is growing.

It is even a bigger gap with Comcast and DirecTV.

Monthly charge, no Discount-

Hulu/D+/ESPN+-$27
Paramount+w Showtime-$12
Peacock-$12
MA:mad:HBO)-$17
AMC+-$9

Those are all the services ( that also has more content, better video/sound) that carry Paid Live TV Programing and have the majority of content from it-

A total of $77

Now Dish 120 Package-roughly $125 a month with DVR/a total of 3 boxes
DirecTV Entertainment-roughly $130 a month with DVR/a total of 3 boxes

And those do not include HBO/Showtime, my streaming services pricing does.

The above is probably why just 29.2% that cancel Cable/Satellite TV subscribe to a live TV streaming service like YouTube TV to replace.

That means more than 70% of all new cord cutters go directly to an on-demand only service like Disney+, Peacock, or Paramount.

Last edited:

My transistion to fiber