iOS 18, what did you think?

Apple is kind of talking out of both sides of their mouth when they say that the AI is being done entirely on-device -- except when the data is uploaded to the "Private Cloud" for processing elsewhere.

Reactions: dishdude
Apple is kind of talking out of both sides of their mouth when they say that the AI is being done entirely on-device -- except when the data is uploaded to the "Private Cloud" for processing elsewhere.
Not really. it means the data gets uploaded and processed, but is not added to the training database which expands its scope.

No different then when I use the Team version of ChatGPT. None of the documents uploaded go to the full database. It is in its own sandbox.

The question now is will AI make us smarter or dumber?

I am leaning towards the later.
I remember the same argument surfacing when portable calculators became popular and then kids were allowed to use them in school. Did I spend all that time memorizing my times tables for nothing?

Did calculators make us smarter? No, quite the opposite. Did they make us more productive? Probably three-fold.

All inventions, discoveries, etc. come with a cost. 150 years ago, people were more resourceful, knew how to produce and prepare their own food, clothing, shelter, etc. However, the loss of those skills to modern methods, has mostly resulted in a more comfortable, if less healthy, lifestyle with much more leisure time.

I remember the same argument surfacing when portable calculators became popular and then kids were allowed to use them in school. Did I spend all that time memorizing my times tables for nothing?

Did calculators make us smarter? No, quite the opposite. Did they make us more productive? Probably three-fold.

All inventions, discoveries, etc. come with a cost. 150 years ago, people were more resourceful, knew how to produce and prepare their own food, clothing, shelter, etc. However, the loss of those skills to modern methods, has mostly resulted in a more comfortable, if less healthy, lifestyle with much more leisure time.

Agreed about productivity and cost. I can use it to very much improve my productivity. BUT I know how to write. I know how to make arguments. I know how to summarize information. But my students don't have those skills, or have them in limited ways. And are we helping them?

In all honesty, I am glad I am very very close to retiring and the next generation can sort this out.

Reactions: Foxbat and TheForce
Not really. it means the data gets uploaded and processed, but is not added to the training database which expands its scope.
AI isn't just about raw code. There's also the way in which the queries are formed and what's being asked about. Apple claims that what they do see can't be connected to anyone but I wonder given all the lip-service they gave to integrating your various past experience into your next experiences.

So far the biggest bug I am having in iOS is notifications are not appearing on the Lock Screen.

To see them you need to unlock and then pull down.

Annoying but if that’s the worst bug I am happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View: https://www.threads.net/@jacecraftmiller/post/C8FBY8ngix_

Scott Greczkowski um...

1718126211151.png

No different then when I use the Team version of ChatGPT. None of the documents uploaded go to the full database. It is in its own sandbox.

Yeah, Apple's own docs on how it all works have been cited as corrections to Musks's tweets. He's running with all of the assumptions most would jump to about this stuff. At work we have our own internal ChatGPT to work with, it's like having a direct report (or 5) depending on the task. Literally conversational interactions with an AI for some tasks (like say, creating and formatting an HTML email template using a specific syntax for variables and stuff - stuff I know how to do but would just take time). This isn't work that is depriving a potential new hire of a job, but rather work I am responsible for and just allows me to get it done and work on other things sooner. Our whole company is going through AI training to leverage AI properly and how to be more productive using it.

1718126341299.png

Likely going to pick up an iPad Pro 11" and will probably jump right into iOS 18. Just working on the wife for at least an implicit blessing :oldlaugh

Depends on how you define smarter. Calculators perform functions in math. They make educated engineers solve engineering problems faster. But they don't make a 5 year old an engineer or mathematician. They make an educated person more productive.

So far the biggest bug I am having in iOS is notifications are not appearing on the Lock Screen.

To see them you need to unlock and then pull down.

Annoying but if that’s the worst bug I am happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i will admit being tempted to go beta, maybe on one of my ipads. :)

Just watched the five minutes of Apple Intelligence in 5 minutes. Looks very cool. Is any of it workign in the beta?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_EYoV1kZWk&t=248s

Apple Event - May 7, 2024 (New iPads!)

Final Cut Camera