Status
Please reply by conversation.

CharredPC

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 21, 2005
Lakebay, WA
The defective Universal LNB couldn't stop me.

I remounted my old H-only DirecPC lnb onto the Winegard and started plugging away. I accidentally found Echo 9 at 121 while tracking a Telstar 5 transponder, so thought I'd try (once again) for the elusive G10. Bumping the dish over didn't seem to work... so I swapped between the few H transponders and drove the dish around a few degrees. 11805 did it! Being the only active H transponder, I now have a whole whopping 7 Video channels (3 FTA) and one radio channel, at 65% Signal and 49% Quality. Remember, this is an old 0.8dB lnb; I expect my new 0.6dB replacement to work slightly better.

Now I'm wondering if I should try mounting the lnb 90 degrees turned, and edit the transponder list from V to H again... think it'll work? It didn't seem to last time, but now that i've found G10 I'm eager to try ;) Might even go up and do it tonight....

:D

CharredPC

Very cool! I'd give the 90° trick a try. The cool channels are on V (The Tube etc).

ImageAsian cracks me up :). Nothing like Mr T's voice on a small asian guy - lol.

Both are on 11720V

A little duct tape, a quick 3am run up to the roof, and I'm watching a Tom Petty video on The TUBE! 64% Signal, 37% Quality... the 90 degree turn / transponder file edits worked! :D I don't think I'll mess with this at all until my replacement lnb gets here.... I'm officially a little less stressed about this past week ;)

CharredPC

Similar prblm I had with g10 last week. :) Congrats on finally getting that bugger of a satellite! Tube is definitely cool.

I was looking and G10 for the Easter USers is kind of like 61.5 is for us Western US guys. This is my dish pointed at G10 in AZ:

Last edited:
Congrats charredpc, getting g10 can be a real bugger. I was lucky in that i hit 121 within minutes of starting to point my dish. After i hit that all i did was move my dish about 1 mm to the right and a little lower elevation and PRESTO, i was on g10. Once again, great to hear a success story.

Shipping the defective lnb back today; hope they hurry up with a replacement.
Wife is actually pleased with the 20 (english) stations I'm pulling from G10; I could do better with a fully working lnb. Still, 5 UPN's, 2 FOX's, 4 WB's, 3 PAX's, ABC, The Tube, and a few shopping channels are nothing to scoff at for FREE ;) I've labeled them all by their network and location, so she can better navigate. Except something that's called SNG- it keeps dropping out, and currently has Judge Judy on it (12104Mhz). Haven't figured that out yet. EDIT: Figured it out, just had to keep watching the laggy channel long enough. It's ABC, Casper.
Also, I'm not picking up any radio stations; are they pretty weak transponders?

Anyhow, we're enjoying it ;)
Now, if I could figure out why the picture quality is so (relatively) poor for digital on my PC...

Yep. 12104 is K2TV out of Casper…

The Radio stations are on the 2nd audio on the 1st, 3rd, 4th and 6th channels in the MUX
WBIF, KTVC, WMQF, KWBF

Charredpc,
I found on my satworks 3618 that i had to manually enter in the PIDS for the audio channels on g10. I didnt have to do this for the audio on 119 tho, one of those things that make you go hmmmmmmmm.

I'll probably have to add them manually then; they didn't get found by default.
Iceberg, does the EPG function on G10? Would be helpful to set up recordings, but mine won't function. Don't tell Cascade, but I'm using MyTheatre :eek: I needed a Twinhan-remote compatible, TV-friendly interface for the wife, and the oft-crashing app that is ProgDVB didn't cut it. Now if I can just figure out how to autohide or toggle on/off the channel list without using the mouse, I'll be happy :D

Oh well. Again, Free = Cool = Can't complain ;) So no biggie. Just can't schedual recordings then, I guess. Actually have to hit the REC button on the remote, heaven forbid!

Since you're "da man" to ask about these things, Iceberg.. ;)

Here's my list of Ku sats I want to target (when the real lnb comes in). Anything I'm missing? Trying for English targets :D

G10 (well... duh!)
AMC 4 (FOX, NBC)
G4 (for the music)
IA5 (not sure what I'd watch, but there's just so much THERE, lol)
Nimiq1 (for the Canadian radio ;) )
AMC 3 (PBS)
AMC5 (for the Utah channels... mostly just becuase I'm in UT)

Also, I've read that some channels not officially FTA can be recieved if the beam is pointed close enough to you. (Sorry if I expressed that wrong, you know what I mean :p ) Is there a way to check if any beams are close enough to me to be picked up?

CharredPC

I've had some difficulties with the E* stuff in the clear using my Ku LNB. When I get motivated I'll tack on the D* LNB so that I can better pick up E* stuff. Right now I sometimes get the international promo on E3 and I easily get GolTV on E9. I'm not picking up any of the E* / BEV music channels in the clear :(.

CharredPC said:
Since you're "da man" to ask about these things, Iceberg.. ;)

Here's my list of Ku sats I want to target (when the real lnb comes in). Anything I'm missing? Trying for English targets :D

G10 (well... duh!)
AMC 4 (FOX, NBC)
G4 (for the music)
IA5 (not sure what I'd watch, but there's just so much THERE, lol)
Nimiq1 (for the Canadian radio ;) )
AMC 3 (PBS)
AMC5 (for the Utah channels... mostly just becuase I'm in UT)

Also, I've read that some channels not officially FTA can be recieved if the beam is pointed close enough to you. (Sorry if I expressed that wrong, you know what I mean :p ) Is there a way to check if any beams are close enough to me to be picked up?

CharredPC
G4 doesn’t work unless you have 4DTV….Its DCII encryption

Here is my list of satellite and the most common stuff on there
SBS6-Ohio News and TONS of sports
AMC9-feeds (Sports)
AMC3-Montana PBS
G11-feeds
IA6-Doc Scott and news feeds
G3-CCTV (yeah sure…PSB knows why…HOCKEY!!)
IA5-the church stuff
AMC4-Chuck Harder & Fox
G10-DUH!
Dish 119-audio and NASA
ExpressVu-POWER 97...nuff said :D

There are more satellites out there…but these are the main ones I tune to : )
It also helps when G11, T6, T5 & G3 are at the same elevation

Shawn95GT said:
I've had some difficulties with the E* stuff in the clear using my Ku LNB. When I get motivated I'll tack on the D* LNB so that I can better pick up E* stuff. Right now I sometimes get the international promo on E3 and I easily get GolTV on E9. I'm not picking up any of the E* / BEV music channels in the clear :(.

Gol is on Dish 110 (E6/E8) :)

for the audio, its well worth adding a DBS LNB to the left/right of the KU band :)

Iceberg said:
Gol is on Dish 110 (E6/E8) :)

for the audio, its well worth adding a DBS LNB to the left/right of the KU band :)
hehe I was trying to remember where I saw it.

Should I put it on the left or right of the Ku LNB (facing the dish)? I was thinking of putting it on the left so when I'm at 121 it'll see 119. It probably doesn't even matter - lol.

Too close…it’s a 4 degree separation

I have a dish at 123 (G10) and a DBS next to it (on the right if standing behind dish) and to get optimum signal, I ziptied the throats of the LNB’s together and used a hose clamp for the bottom

On my motorized, its on the left and its off by about 6 degrees (when I am on SBS6 74, I can get a decent signal on Nimiq 2 (82)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Looking 4 dish base size and mast size

Coupling two 1.80m dishes as one 3.60m dish

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)