EchoStar/Dish raises doubts about 'ability to continue as a going concern'

That’s really difficult to pin down since it varies around the planet depending on your proximity to the Starlink ground stations, the latency from there to where you’re going (SatelliteGuys, of course!😉), and the number of Starlink satellites above your location at any given time.

Just now 11:00 AM Pacfic: 145Mbps Down, 11.9 up. Latency 25ms. Eastern Washington. I've seen it as low as 48Mbps down in the evenings and as high as 297Mbps down during the day. Latency pretty consistent at 23 to 30ms.

I read a fascinating analysis of why this may be true. It seems that the loss he's taken on X-ster can be used to offset gains in his other businesses. So if you consider the tax implications of offsetting Tesla, etc., Running it into the ground might be a shrewd decision. A pity, though. Twitter was good, but when he's done with it, he will fire sale it to someone who hopefully might resurrect it. I think Meta might buy it and fold it into Threads or something like that. If they are smart they will
From comments Elon himself has made, it appears he did not buy it for an investment, per se, but to have at least one platform where censorship was not skewed for the left.

That’s really difficult to pin down since it varies around the planet depending on your proximity to the Starlink ground stations, the latency from there to where you’re going (SatelliteGuys, of course!😉), and the number of Starlink satellites above your location at any given time.
That is true so maybe the worse scenario. LOL.

Just now 11:00 AM Pacfic: 145Mbps Down, 11.9 up. Latency 25ms. Eastern Washington. I've seen it as low as 48Mbps down in the evenings and as high as 297Mbps down during the day. Latency pretty consistent at 23 to 30ms.
The latency is pretty impressive. The upstream is a bit slower than I had expected which is important if there are things like Ring Doorbells and DISH Anywhere for example.

I am sure there are still areas that don't have great broadband or choices. But I am saying over all if DISH wants to survive and appeal to future generations they need a streaming version of their DISH service that can replace SlingTV with and still keep the pricing structure that Sling Tv has. The Best of both services in one. Other wise they will keep losing subs till they aren't profitable any longer. I don't want to see them fail. I want them to be around a long time, but adapt to the changing market.
Ah thanks for clarifying Mike

Son,when folks are living on a fixed income there ain't no way they can afford starlink.But they can afford a small satellite package.
not your son first off---i never said everyone could "afford" it--i said it is available pretty much anywhere and for a $300 investment currently you can wipe out your $100-$200 cost to a satellite company and use more than ample free apps out there for entertainment monthly--it also wipes out the need for additional internet cost required to have satellite tv these days as many things are streaming only on them

Reactions: charlesrshell
not your son first off---i never said everyone could "afford" it--i said it is available pretty much anywhere and for a $300 investment currently you can wipe out your $100-$200 cost to a satellite company and use more than ample free apps out there for entertainment monthly--it also wipes out the need for additional internet cost required to have satellite tv these days as many things are streaming only on them
More concerned about how reliable it is.

More concerned about how reliable it is.
in the 2 years i have had it there has only been one outage that was worldwide for a few hours at least for me--even during tropical storms and rain i cant see in for over 100' no loss just slower but more than enough to continue streaming--even used it through ernesto which reached a few hurricane force winds and still when checked around 45-65---speeds generally 175-300 down and 25-30 up with my average is around 40 for latency--some are lower some higher but that is determined by other factors of location, obstructions etc

Thank u for the information, just need to convince the HOA that I really need this. Paranoid regarding Comcast and their security.
FCC has laws that prohibit rules against installations in your own exclusive area. For example: if living in an apartment the complex owner can establish rules against installations in common areas such as roofs, walls, walkways, shared lawns, etc.. But they cannot prevent you from installing on your patio/balcony using a tripod or non pentrating mount, assuming you have line of sight (usually south facing).

In your case, if it's an hoa and you personally own the home, they cannot prevent you at all from installing anywhere on your own exclusive property. If you do not own they still have to allow the install but can make it where you can't use a direct pentrating mount.

Just look up otard laws

You pay $120 month for a backup? Or, can you turn it on and off as needed? Thanks.
a standard plan is 120 a month and cannot be paused only canceled then restarted--not really an issue in the us anymore to do so--you can get a mobile plan for 150 and can pause that plan but will incur a month charge when activating as it is not based on days or weeks for the charge--if you order a kit with the mobile plan you can also pause it right after it ships and have no bills until you are ready to use it--

FCC has laws that prohibit rules against installations in your own exclusive area. For example: if living in an apartment the complex owner can establish rules against installations in common areas such as roofs, walls, walkways, shared lawns, etc.. But they cannot prevent you from installing on your patio/balcony using a tripod or non pentrating mount, assuming you have line of sight (usually south facing).

In your case, if it's an hoa and you personally own the home, they cannot prevent you at all from installing anywhere on your own exclusive property. If you do not own they still have to allow the install but can make it where you can't use a direct pentrating mount.

Just look up otard laws
Thank you and I will. The phrase "own" strikes me and I will look for the definition. Spectrum is installed on the property and yet we never, ever hear from them.

Dish Price Increases (2024-25)