EchoStar/Dish raises doubts about 'ability to continue as a going concern'

After reading through, I'm curious- are there people watching TV from their mobile devices, if so how many, and does it work for them? Also, the cell co's offer "fixed" broadband, either standalone or combined with mobile. Shouldn't that count as a broadband household?

Reactions: charlesrshell
After reading through, I'm curious- are there people watching TV from their mobile devices, if so how many, and does it work for them? Also, the cell co's offer "fixed" broadband, either standalone or combined with mobile. Shouldn't that count as a broadband household?
Fixed goes to a router

And both suck, unless it is your only option. Then it’s better than dial-up…

Fixed 5G works very well if you are well within the zone it reaches virtually never goes out like cable can. Someday you could lose the signal or have it become spotty depending on where you live and what might get built near you. But the technology and execution do work.

As for 5G cellular I would not depend on it for everyday streaming but I can stream 4K HDR from Phone to my TV with no problem.

From Bloomberg:

"Confidential negotiations also include the possible extension of a $2 billion bond issued by Dish DBS due Nov. 15, the people said. The notes last traded at 97.2 cents on the dollar on Thursday, according to data compiled by Bloomberg."

A 2.8% discount means the bondholders are quite confident their investment is secure.

So sorta like these guys then.

1725592761460.png

From Bloomberg:

"Confidential negotiations also include the possible extension of a $2 billion bond issued by Dish DBS due Nov. 15, the people said. The notes last traded at 97.2 cents on the dollar on Thursday, according to data compiled by Bloomberg."

A 2.8% discount means the bondholders are quite confident their investment is secure.
That would take care of one problem, but they still need funds to continue the build out and the fourth quarter and beyond?

During EchoStar’s second quarter earnings call last week, chief financial officer Paul Orban acknowledged the company currently “[does] not have the necessary cash on hand” to fund Q4 operations or pay off the $1.98 billion in debt set to mature on Nov. 15. As of June 30, the company had $521 million in cash and cash equivalents at the ready.

I just don't see the benefit to the merger there both sinking faster than the titanic with the lights out. I think people are tired of the rate hikes whenever they want to hike rates to and the piss poor csrs no new hardware I think people would rather binge watch there shows now vs waiting for em to come on cable or sat then have to deal with commericals.

I would ask for the moon to stay with them then. See how much you can swindle them down. I did renewal deals with DISH that were so good for me that I almost felt guilty there towards the end. ALMOST! If DISH had done what I said years ago they might of kept some of their subs.

1. Let people buy that own their receivers pay no Additional receiver or DVR fees. That alone would cut out all the extra miscellaneous fees that cause people to churn over the extra costs. IF you rent your equipment then you pay the fees. You could even add those rental fees up - so that at the end of the 2nd year you would own your equipment and no longer pay rental fees and DVR fees. I know they did this with the 501 pvr back in the day and you owned it at the end of the year.

2. Create a 4 tuner ota module that would work with Primetime Anytime so you could record all 4 networks - like they do the satellite locals. Sling Tv has this with their ota service: Air TV and DISH could use it too. IF you have the DISH Plus receiver you could see the AIR Tv Anywhere Anytime device with it and control it through the plus device. If not you could use it for streaming off your tv or streaming platform. Either way it would cut out $12.00 to $14.00 local fees and no more fights over increasing locals fees.

They could also do ota antenna installs that would make this happen for a lot of people. I know that at one time you could get an antenna install through AIR TV. This would help get the prices down for those subs. The antenna they install now is the one I have the Televes Digi nova boss antenna that cost around $85.00. Gets both uhf and vhf channels. The inside module should be the one you can adjust the antenna for gain and you can run like 5 different things to it. This helps with VHF reception for sure.

3. Smaller packs they actually did do . I suggested years ago to break them up to variety packs , movie packs, children's packs, sports and news packs. Both Sling TV and DISH do that with their Flex pack.

4. Maybe a smaller flex basic pack at the $40.00 cost range like Sling Tv does that you could then add additional packs to get the best selection for your cost.

All these things might of kept subs had they done them say 5 years ago. But now it is too late to keep most of the subs. The older subs are the main ones that keep DISH for the receiver part and they will die out eventually. I think now it is just a matter of time till it will no longer matter.

Pressing the rewind button jumps waaaaaaaayy back

Is it us, or is it them? (Hopper or network?)