Disney/ESPN & DIRECTV Reach Deal

No, he means the opposite...

If you have ESPN+ as a part of your Disney bundle frim Verizon. You don't get the ESPN linear broadcast channels like ESPN, ESPNU, and ESPN2. ....

Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk
Correct, until next year, the only way to get ESPN is with a TV Provider that carries it, which, right now, does not include DirecTV.

• Sad
Reactions: Jimbo
Wasn't the cry to go streaming, based on you get Everything ????

Not so in this case.
No one said everything, that depends on the individual(s).

But the majority of content from Paid Live TV is on those streaming services, plus all the exclusive streaming content, which you do not get with Traditional Paid Live TV.

But, I get everything I wish to watch 7 months of the year from the streaming services.

But from September to January, I have to go back to YouTube TV because of some College Football, some NFL MNF games ( all other College/NFL games I can get via ST, Paramount+, Peacock, OTA).

But for the College Playoffs, while some games are on ESPN+, most are just on regular ESPN.

And I am thankful for YTTV, because Satellite/ Cable will not let me sign up for 5 months a year.

Next year, when ESPN Streaming goes live, everything changes.

No one said everything, that depends on the individual(s).

But the majority of content from Paid Live TV is on those streaming services, plus all the exclusive streaming content, which you do not get with Traditional Paid Live TV.

But, I get everything I wish to watch 7 months of the year from the streaming services.

But from September to January, I have to go back to YouTube TV because of some College Football, some NFL MNF games ( all other College/NFL games I can get via ST, Paramount+, Peacock, OTA).

But for the College Playoffs, while some games are on ESPN+, most are just on regular ESPN.

And I am thankful for YTTV, because Satellite/ Cable will not let me sign up for 5 months a year.

Next year, when ESPN Streaming goes live, everything changes.
So, we will actually need espn eventually, if the CFP playoff games are on it .... Ugh

So, we will actually need espn eventually, if the CFP playoff games are on it .... Ugh
Yep, ESPN just signed a new contract, they will have the playoffs for many years to come ( up to the 2031-2032 season), this year (2024-2025) was the last under the current contract.

Reactions: lordodogg
Starting tomorrow DIRECTV's going to offer a $30 credit if you sign up for Fubo or Sling Orange:

- Visit fubotv.com/deal to start your 7-day free trial from Fubo, either for their Pro or Elite with Sports Plus plans, and $30 off the first month after that. In addition, DIRECTV will provide a $30 credit; or
- Visit sling.com/DIRECTV to get the Sling Orange service, offset by a $30 credit from DIRECTV.
Learn more about these alternatives and how to redeem your $30 credit from DIRECTV at TVPromise.com starting Saturday, Sept. 7. Once redeemed, credit will apply to active DIRECTV accounts within two months.

For Sling though, you'll also need the $11 sports extra addon if your favorite team is playing on ESPNU, SEC, ACCN and any ESPN/ESPN2 games that get bumped to ESPNEWS due to an overrun.

Wow. Never thought I would see this .

"And, notably, DirecTV is actually working with and directing customers to two of its streaming competitors: Dish’s Sling TV and Fubo, and offering to toss in $30 to help subsidize the switch. In a blog post Friday afternoon, DirecTV offered to “get your football back on us.”

Customers who sign up for Fubo will get a one-week free trial, $30 off the first month after the trial, and a $30 credit on their next DirecTV bill; if they choose to subscribe to Sling Orange, they will get a $10 discount and a $30 credit on their DirecTV bill."

So you have 7 different bills instead of 1 .... thats smart.

That's how the NFL maximizes their income. They could go back to CBS/Fox on Sunday and ABC on Monday night like the old days, but adding Sunday night and Thursday night games, splitting up playoff rights, etc. gets them more money. That money has always ultimately come from you, and for the NFL to make more money everyone who watches NFL games has to pay more.

• Sad
Reactions: Jimbo and lordodogg

"And, notably, DirecTV is actually working with and directing customers to two of its streaming competitors: Dish’s Sling TV and Fubo, and offering to toss in $30 to help subsidize the switch. In a blog post Friday afternoon, DirecTV offered to “get your football back on us.”

Customers who sign up for Fubo will get a one-week free trial, $30 off the first month after the trial, and a $30 credit on their next DirecTV bill; if they choose to subscribe to Sling Orange, they will get a $10 discount and a $30 credit on their DirecTV bill."
so they are siding with FUBO in the lawsuit. Be ready for an long outage. Now if that new Chicago Sports Network has free over-the-air broadcasts then will RSN drop?

• Sad
Reactions: lordodogg

Buy why do this?

Cannot DirecTV’s subscribers just put their account on hold, until this dispute is over, then go to, for example, YTTV, who is providing the first 21 days for free, risk free if you cancel on that 21st day.

Then people are not paying for two services, or even one if they take advantage of the YTTV deal, specially since DirecTV has an increase next month.

Cannot DirecTV’s subscribers just put their account on hold, until this dispute is over, then go to, for example, YTTV, who is providing the first 21 days for free, risk free if you cancel on that 21st day.
I'd love to, but I'm currently in a contract w/ D* thanks to my Gemini box and you can't suspend your account if you're under contract. I checked. 😑

I'd love to, but I'm currently in a contract w/ D* thanks to my Gemini box and you can't suspend your account if you're under contract. I checked. 😑
You can suspend it, it will just move the contract end date further out by how many months you suspend it. If you are staying with DTV no matter what, just ask to speak to retention and they should be able to do it.

Reactions: Jimbo
It depends on where you live but generally you will spend more than $25 if you are going to a bar to watch 1 college football game. That bar is also paying by capacity. Unless you just want to go to the bar for the atmosphere, it's better to pay the $25 and watch a full day at home, plus 3 more Saturdays.

I'm sure ESPN is worried about losing the guaranteed money though, so they won't give that up unless they have to. They have to figure out their price point that they can charge all cable customers and a price cord cutters will pay directly.

I don't know when the dispute ends but if it goes past Monday night, DTV will lose a lot more than Disney is. DTV doesn't want to lose its high value customers and most of those want ESPN.
That's my point- there shouldn't be any price point for ESPN that gets foisted onto every cable/sat subscriber regardless of whether they want it. They had a good game going back in the day in colluding with all the other programmers to only allow providers to sell them all bundled together, or substantially so, and successfully fought off calls for allowing alacarte subscribing.

But they just kept escalating rates, forcing providers to hike customer billings, and ESPN was arguably the prime offender in extracting $$$ from every sub regardless of whether they would want it. DTV is correct- it has to stop. A little surprising it's them doing this and not Charlie.

Just logged into my account this morning and a message popped up saying since I recently accepted a $20 credit they were offering me another $10 credit.
It doesn't work though. When you click accept, the message just disappears and comes back a couple of seconds later.
It wouldn't hurt to try though, maybe it will work for you.

Reactions: AZ.
Just logged into my account this morning and a message popped up saying since I recently accepted a $20 credit they were offering me another $10 credit.
It doesn't work though. When you click accept, the message just disappears and comes back a couple of seconds later.
It wouldn't hurt to try though, maybe it will work for you.
Does the same thing for me.

Reactions: dtv757 and AZ.

New Genie Menus Coming in July