Disney/ESPN & DIRECTV Reach Deal

Ch.7 on in Chicago; LSU game.

Isn't a streaming version of same programming a value to sat subs if they can use it in a VOD manner? Or is it linear-only? Certainly they could use it away from home.

Looks to me that we're in exactly the same place as before as far as people having to buy bundles where much or most of the price is going to ch's they wouldn't pay for if didn't have to.

Ch.7 on in Chicago; LSU game.

Isn't a streaming version of same programming a value to sat subs if they can use it in a VOD manner? Or is it linear-only? Certainly they could use it away from home.
It is also on ESPN+.
Looks to me that we're in exactly the same place as before as far as people having to buy bundles where much or most of the price is going to ch's they wouldn't pay for if didn't have to.
Yep, DirecTV caved, received a bigger version of the Spectrum deal, but unlike Charter, still has those 8 Channels Spectrum got rid off, along with the per sub fees of them.

Reactions: Johnnyspot
I notice the On Demand channels still aren’t back, like 1007 ABC and 1206 ESPN. Hopefully it’s just impatience.
The VOD channels are back, however any episodes added in the past 2 weeks aren't currently available. (i.e. The Bachelorette finale, General Hospital, Lucky 13, Wayne Brady: The Family Remix, Primos, Ariel, Beyblade X, Mickey Mouse Funhouse, Dino Ranch, Hamster & Gretel, etc)

The VOD channels are back, however any episodes added in the past 2 weeks aren't currently available. (i.e. The Bachelorette finale, General Hospital, Lucky 13, Wayne Brady: The Family Remix, Primos, Ariel, Beyblade X, Mickey Mouse Funhouse, Dino Ranch, Hamster & Gretel, etc)
I would never notice.

Some of the details have changed in 12 years but I stand behind this:

People always bring up Sirius and XM merging. I agree, that’s a perfect example but not for the reason people say. While it took Sirius and XM a decade to merge their services, the marketplace moved on to streaming. That’s what would happen if DIRECTV and DISH tried to merge.

Some of the details have changed in 12 years but I stand behind this:

People always bring up Sirius and XM merging. I agree, that’s a perfect example but not for the reason people say. While it took Sirius and XM a decade to merge their services, the marketplace moved on to streaming. That’s what would happen if DIRECTV and DISH tried to merge.
It is already happening, merge or no merge.

And again, there is too much debt that both companies hold to make a merger possible, DirecTV with $10B, Dish with $20B, total liabilities of over $30B.

DIRECTV knows that the future is streaming, at least content delivery over the Internet. That is why they have launched their last satellite. That is why they are promoting DIRECTV over Internet, pigeons and all. The Gemini is a bridge device for their satellite customers to transition to streaming. They have to fashion a product that appeals to their traditional customers and new customers that meets their needs at a competitive price. And they don't need Dish. Local channel delivery via satellite has 4 to 6 years before the spot beams die. I will probably ride their satellite based system to the end, but I am watching the transition.

I compared an APG data collection from early this morning to the data collected on Wednesday August 28, just before the Disney/ESPN shutdown on Sept 1. All Disney related channels have returned to the same Net/TID/PID combinations as they were on prior to the shutdown. In other words all of those signals are exactly where they were before, same satellite, same transponder, same program stream in the multiplexed transponder signel.

Reactions: alnielsen
Going over the number, Spectrum lost more subscribers since the Disney deal last September 2023, when they added Disney+ and ESPN+

before-145,000 4th Quarter 2022

after-257,000 4th Quarter 2023

before-237,000 1st Quarter 2023

after-392,000 1st Quarter 2024

before-200,000 2nd Quarter 2023

after-408,000 2nd Quarter 2024

So adding the Disney streaming services to DirecTV, might not be a big plus.

Would of been better to get rid of channels, that barely anyone watch, save on the per sub fees.

Reactions: osu1991
:)
...I will probably ride their satellite based system to the end, but I am watching the transition.
I will also probably ride the satellite version to the end, but the younger in the house have already started the transition by using DIRECTV's Roku app because, for one thing, it has the much better looking HD version of channels the satellite delivery does not, i.e. TeenNick and Boomerang.

I say no way.

DirecTV has about $10 Billion in debt, based on Fitch Ratings.

Echostar’s debt for the quarter ending June 30, 2024 was $19.679B, a 1214.38% increase year-over-year.

but

Echostar’s total liabilities for the quarter ending June 30, 2024 were $35.623B, a 1288.32% increase year-over-year.

Up 1200% in one year???

What sort of scam is Charlie running on Echostar shareholders and those lenders? Clearly he's pushed off a huge pile debt from some other entity he controls onto Echostar, presumably in preparation for a bankruptcy reorg filing that will result in the lenders getting pennies on the dollar.

:)

I will also probably ride the satellite version to the end, but the younger in the house have already started the transition by using DIRECTV's Roku app because, for one thing, it has the much better looking HD version of channels the satellite delivery does not, i.e. TeenNick and Boomerang.
I use the Roku app on most of my TVs while keeping two C61Ks on the others. The app is terrific and does indeed provide a better picture but in the Philly market (and I suspect many others) there are OTA stations missing. That needs to be addressed.

BTW, I'm not sure of your definition of "youngers" but I'm almost 67 would switch to full streaming in a heartbeat if it gave me what I'm getting via satellite.

Moved and switched to Directv Stream - Is Gemini worth it?

DTV and Dish Network Discuss Merger Talks Again