Disney/ESPN & DIRECTV Reach Deal

They gave Disney everything they wanted, including this-

DirecTV also has the rights to distribute Disney’s upcoming ESPN flagship direct-to-consumer service with its expected 2025 launch

So no lawsuit/fight trying to prevent it from launching.

Then this-

along with Disney+, Hulu and ESPN+. In addition, DirecTV will bundle Disney+, Hulu and ESPN+ with “select DirecTV packages” under a wholesale agreement, and the pay-TV provider will sell the Disney streamers to customers on an a la carte basis.

This is the same thing Spectrum received, if anyone wants to know how well that turned out, here-

Analysts at LightShed Partners, in a July 16 blog, noted the report from Puck’s John Ourand indicates less than 10% of Charter’s roughly 9.5 million Signature Select video package customers are activating Disney+ and questioned if the operator’s vision for video is wrong.

“Charter is back to where it started, stuffing video offerings into its bundle that the vast majority of its consumers do not use, which hurts the price/value of the video bundle,” wrote analysts led by Richard Greenfield. Meanwhile, Disney is getting paid $3-4 per subscriber per month by Charter for all 9.5 million subscribers even though less than 1 million might be using it

Glad this is over and glad I got $40 a month off for a year by calling them this past week.

From the DirecTV press release, the last bullet about the "core points" of the deal is this:

"The rights to distribute Disney’s upcoming ESPN flagship direct-to-consumer service upon its launch at no additional cost to DIRECTV customers."

Is this for existing customers, new customers or both?

Reactions: IcEWoLF
The new deal still includes FXX, FXM, Freeform, DisJR, DisXD, etc. FYI
That surprised me, when I was doing reports with Disney (left in May), those are the first channels marked for shut down.

Disney really rolled DirecTV.

I would say DIRECTV Rolled DIsney, as DISNEY did not want to give them the direct to home service, which DIRECTV will now be giving away for free. Meaning other providers will be given the same thing somewhere down the line.

Actually thinking about it more... its probably a win win for both.

I would say DIRECTV Rolled DIsney, as DISNEY did not want to give them the direct to home service, which DIRECTV will now be giving away for free. Meaning other providers will be given the same thing somewhere down the line.

Actually thinking about it more... its probably a win win for both.
Unless the DTC service has things that are only available there, then no one would need to pay for it anyway. The DTC would be worthless for anyone with DTV.

What I think is meant is DTV can offer that service and drop things from other packages.

I would say DIRECTV Rolled DIsney, as DISNEY did not want to give them the direct to home service, which DIRECTV will now be giving away for free.
DirecTV will be paying wholesale for the ad versions, so Disney will get paid and make money off the advertising.

Rolled.

Meaning other providers will be given the same thing somewhere down the line.
Yep, first Spectrum, now DirecTV.

I can just imagine what the Dish negotiations will be like.

Comcast will just agree to the same deal, based on the direction they are going in.

This does not work for YTTV, since they offer one package, but goggle already sells Disney Streaming services.

Honestly the real ones who got rolled are the consumers, which if the way these things always end up.

I think both will lose customers as many places found where to watch for free. I know a few bars that were pulling a few of the games from not legal streams. They feel since they are paying for the package and NFL its their right. (and they are wrong.)

Reactions: AZ.
Honestly the real ones who got rolled are the consumers, which if the way these things always end up.
Based on what I posted about the Charter deal, Spectrum is paying for 9 Million subscribers with Disney+, yet only 1 Million are using it.

But you are correct, the costs will filter down to the subscribers, just like all the other channels per sub fee the vast majority do not watch.
I think both will lose customers as many places found where to watch for free. I know a few bars that were pulling a few of the games from not legal streams. They feel since they are paying for the package and NFL its their right. (and they are wrong.)
100% total agreement, those who steal programming are absolute scum, streaming is not expensive, cannot afford the $70 to get almost everything, get one service a month, then switch them every month.

It will happen eventually. Dish is still building new satellites DIRECTV is not.

They will be combined at some point.

There is a lot of savings that could be had if they combine together.

I have heard in the past the Hoppers can do Directv with a new card and dish. While Directv for all practical purposes has not been working on new satellites DIRECTV receivers for many years now.

The question I have is does dish have the money to convert the Directv customers over?

I still see a partnership with Amazon or Google somewhere down the road that will be the lifeline they need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: AkaDoubleG
Scott,

What are you thinking about the scuttle talk on the merger, obviously we have heard the talk for years and years, but in today’s environment, does this “rumor” have any teeth
I say no way.

DirecTV has about $10 Billion in debt, based on Fitch Ratings.

Echostar’s debt for the quarter ending June 30, 2024 was $19.679B, a 1214.38% increase year-over-year.

but

Echostar’s total liabilities for the quarter ending June 30, 2024 were $35.623B, a 1288.32% increase year-over-year.

So a newly merged company, would have to absorb a lot of debt from the beginning, which is why I doubt this story.

DirecTV’s profit has been shrinking every year, under $2 Billion now, Dish’s would be about a billion a year, but the spectrum is using that.

Even if the profits stayed the same for many years, no more churn, it would still take over 11 years to cover all the debt/liabilities.

But profits will become less and churn will keep accelerating, so less money coming in.

Plus the costs of keeping the services going, new satellites , boxes, etc.

Moved and switched to Directv Stream - Is Gemini worth it?

DTV and Dish Network Discuss Merger Talks Again