Dish Price Increases (2024-25)

How do the tuners of the Tablo compare to the ota adapter for Dish?
That I do not know, but I get more channels on it then I do on my 2022 Sony.

I am in the Orlando Metro area, Kissimmee, pick up stations from Tampa, which my Sony was not able to do.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Dish's new prices are posted - going into effect September 19 (one month earlier than last year)

$5 increase on all packages

There is a note for a future change on pricing for the local channel packages. Not sure if that means different markets will have different rates or not. Also, all the add-on packages are not listed yet.

There is an offer for 2 months of free Paramount+ with Showtime.
Thank God I quit DISH when I did. I dreaded these yearly price hikes every year since 2000.

Thank God I quit DISH when I did. I dreaded these yearly price hikes every year since 2000.
I have a year left in my two year contract and I may have to drop back from the top plan and stream more. I did not have dependable internet before, but I have Cox fiber now. If I drop the locals that will help. I pick up the Joplin OTA channels vs the Dish Ft. Smith channels. I live right on the Missouri border.

How do the tuners of the Tablo compare to the ota adapter for Dish?
Tablo operates with no glitches and problems. My old ota Tuner with DISH that I replaced recently will have the message come up that it lost signal on that ota channel all the time. I try to use it with my old Hopper 3 that I deactivated back in 2022 and it still happens. I never see any problems with the Tablo Next Gen 4 tuner dvr. I only paid $119.99 for it on sale at the Tablo Store. No fees either. I think it works much like the DISH Anywhere feature when I can record 4 ota channels at the same time. I just hooked up my old external hard drive and it works great. The picture quality is excellent with no compression. Also get like 60 extra internet channels that you can also record from.

www.tablotv.com/product?v=tablo&utm_campaign=branded&utm_source=

I have a year left in my two year contract and I may have to drop back from the top plan and stream more. I did not have dependable internet before, but I have Cox fiber now. If I drop the locals that will help. I pick up the Joplin OTA channels vs the Dish Ft. Smith channels. I live right on the Missouri border.
Just have to watch the stupid Cox data cap if you're in one of their capped areas, like myself.

Cox ran fiber through my neighborhood 2 yrs ago but I can't take full advantage of it unless I fork over another $50 for unlimited data. As it is I have to stay below 40GB a day to stay under the data cap. A couple of football games / 4-5 hours of 1080p or a couple hours of 4K video each day hits that. I use the antenna and TiVo for all OTA to help with the data usage.

I quit Dish back around 2015 when I bought my current home. Had Cox with TiVo for a couple of years, then went streaming and OTA only.

My sister in law called me a couple days ago asking about some wonderbox that got everything and you only had to pay once for. :rolleyes: She was tired of Dish's prices for what they watched. (Haven't told her that price is going up soon)

I told her it was a scam with illegal streams that would likely quit working pretty quickly.

I've tried to get them to switch to YTTV a couple of years ago like everyone else in the family that needs sports or has 2 homes and uses it at both homes. She is a cat adjuster that travels monthly to the worst hit areas around the US for the insurance company she works for. She uses the slingplayer on her hopper all during football season to see OU games from the local ABC/Fox. The one time she was in Florida at her parents vacation home and the local was showing a different game made her not like YTTV. I don't think that will be a problem now with the realignment and new tv contracts in college football, so guess I will be revisiting this with her once she sees the prices increases from Dish.

I recently signed a 2 year contract (May 2024) to get the Hopper 3 for the Dish 200. So I guess I have until around May 2026 to figure out how much the prices have gone up from there and figure out another deal? I guess I'll not worry about it for 2 years for now.

I enjoy the dish format, recording, channel guide and how to find stuff vs streaming. Will figure out how to keep this going as long as possible (financially).

It works over wifi or ethernet.

All the TV needs is the Tablo app or a device that has it.

He did not bring up RV usage, so a moot point.
When the Tablo gen 4 units came out, I specifically asked the manufacturer if internet was required. The answer was yes. The statement "My use case would be at our RV, with a TV that has no Ethernet or WiFi. No Internet to speak of there." RV is mentioned and the Tablo won't work (according to Tablo). So having an app or a device that has it without having internet makes the Tablo a doorstop.

When the Tablo gen 4 units came out, I specifically asked the manufacturer if internet was required. The answer was yes. The statement "My use case would be at our RV, with a TV that has no Ethernet or WiFi. No Internet to speak of there." RV is mentioned and the Tablo won't work (according to Tablo). So having an app or a device that has it without having internet makes the Tablo a doorstop.
Fine those that have a RV and wish to use a Tablo should not do it, unless they stay at a park with wifi.

But considering those that would be doing that, would be a extreme low number of folks, almost makes it a moot point.

Or those with a RV, leave the Tablo at home, let it record the content, then go to the RV Park and just use the Antenna.

Tablo operates with no glitches and problems. My old ota Tuner with DISH that I replaced recently will have the message come up that it lost signal on that ota channel all the time. I try to use it with my old Hopper 3 that I deactivated back in 2022 and it still happens. I never see any problems with the Tablo Next Gen 4 tuner dvr. I only paid $119.99 for it on sale at the Tablo Store. No fees either. I think it works much like the DISH Anywhere feature when I can record 4 ota channels at the same time. I just hooked up my old external hard drive and it works great. The picture quality is excellent with no compression. Also get like 60 extra internet channels that you can also record from.

www.tablotv.com/product?v=tablo&utm_campaign=branded&utm_source=
How easy is this to operate? My wife wants only KISS remotes. I have a Roku Ultra if that makes any difference. Can you fast forward or rewind it? My two year contract runs out in January, so I want to be ready.

How easy is this to operate? My wife wants only KISS remotes. I have a Roku Ultra if that makes any difference. Can you fast forward or rewind it? My two year contract runs out in January, so I want to be ready.
You would use the same Roku remote, you just add the Tablo app to your Roku.

As far as functions, works the same as any dvr, record only new episodes or all, one episode or season pass, pause, rewind, fast forward, 2 week guide, etc, etc.

I have another question concerning the Tablo. It was mentioned that an ethernet connection was best. It was also mentioned that the Tablo could be paired with the Roku Ultra. How are these connected then? I am trying to figure out my ota wiring and a location to put everything at. I use my Roku daily, so I can start teaching my non techie wife how to use it. :)

I have another question concerning the Tablo. It was mentioned that an ethernet connection was best. It was also mentioned that the Tablo could be paired with the Roku Ultra. How are these connected then? I am trying to figure out my ota wiring and a location to put everything at. I use my Roku daily, so I can start teaching my non techie wife how to use it. :)
It is connected via your Network, that is how it is sent to your other TVs also.

All you need to do, once you hook up the Tablo, is then install the app for Tablo on your Roku.

Simple.

As far as your wife goes, my wife suffered from a form of Parkinson's, with that came some memory issues, she figured out the Roku, took less then two weeks, that was back in 2015, we never went back.

Fine those that have a RV and wish to use a Tablo should not do it, unless they stay at a park with wifi.

But considering those that would be doing that, would be a extreme low number of folks, almost makes it a moot point.

Or those with a RV, leave the Tablo at home, let it record the content, then go to the RV Park and just use the Antenna.
And I have the same problem with my house on the river. So there is a real need for some people. Repeating that the need doesn't exist doesn't make it the truth.

And I have the same problem with my house on the river.
You do not have internet service or able to use a antenna?

You do not need fast broadband with a Tablo.
So there is a real need for some people. Repeating that the need doesn't exist doesn't make it the truth.
I agree, but business does not work for the few, it works for the many.

If DirecTV, who is really pushing their TV by internet service, not even bringing up Satellite anymore, actually putting it down in those commercials, or Dish, if either does not have enough subscribers (the many), the few will no longer have service.

Unfortunately, the few are not enough subscribers to keep either profitable.

And the few shrink everyday as broadband expands, I have seen many posts here, where they get Broadband or Fiber, then they drop their Satellite TV Service.

And again, I live in a rural area, well, septic, lots of land, broadband was not available here till 2018, back in Michigan, lived in Metro Areas, had it since 1996.

OK, a few more questions.

1) If I cancel the Dish locals will I still be able to record OTA via the usb adapter and will I still get a guide? If so then all I would need is the two tuner Tablo which will give me four options for recording at the same time.
2) Will OnDemand of the local channels work with just the OTA channels? I sometime don't get the local shows due to storms.

Yes.

I doubt it. Haven’t tried. Although I have a Dish single tuner OTA adapter, most of my OTA recordings are on a CM DVR. We watch very little OTA.

OK, a few more questions.

1) If I cancel the Dish locals will I still be able to record OTA via the usb adapter and will I still get a guide? If so then all I would need is the two tuner Tablo which will give me four options for recording at the same time.
I would still get the 4 tuner, just to be safe.
2) Will OnDemand of the local channels work with just the OTA channels?
Doubtful
I sometime don't get the local shows due to storms.
Do not get the shows via dish or an antenna during these storms?

I would assume you mean Dish, that is where the 4 tuner Tablo would be more useful, like a back up.

Is it us, or is it them? (Hopper or network?)

Pressing the rewind button jumps waaaaaaaayy back