Dish 811 - P284 Update

I assuming you're saying that even when you stretch SD channels there's still black bars? Because of course there would be black bars on normal...

The update on P284 was supossed in increase the overscan on DVI, so not sure why that is...

Yes, it is with SD channels stretched. It appears as if the overscan was decreased in my situation.

Just got 284 was on 281 and my guide has gone crazy... It never game me this much hassle i cant watch any channel too long be it sat or ota if i do i click guide and there is no info i cant even scroll up or down also when the guide does work if i try to see whats on later when i get like 1-2 hours ahead it bounces back to the current time only if i scroll non stop i can see whats on later but if i tap forward again it bounces back to the current time :mad: Also i used to be able to watch all the maverk games on channel ev something in the hd area its near the nba hd channel i was able to tune into the mav games in hd with 284 not no more can i revert the box back to 281.... :confused: My bill is due on 01/30 its looking like i might not pay it lol.... :shocked

If you haven't already, do a hard reset on the box. Hold down the power button for approx. 10 seconds or unplug it.

NightRyder

you need to tune to a sat channel to get the guide back. as soon as your on a sat channel the guide should fill back in. You're in the dallas area right? Because the mav's channel is on 9465 right next to the nba, but of course it only opens up for the games

I did a reset it with the power button "actually it also resetted itself too"? I turned it on the other day after like 15 secs it froze then reseted like a ghost pushed the power button hehe?? this was like a week after getting the upgrade too. I manually reset it yesterday twice cause i got bsod after a minute or two surfing channels after the 1st reset then i reset it the second time no bsod but check switch error i did the check switch test and then turned it off i missed the 4th quarter of the kings game they were getting hammed so i dont care i have yet to turn it on today though.. :confused:

It does this on all channels even if i never use the ota im not in dallas im in cali but that channel worked all the time since i got my 811 after the update it didnt :( Now my brother told me the guide is still froze he tried it today i just got home from work he said its still stuck all channels say no info and you cant even scroll up or down or anything. Now im getting upset that means i cant use it tonight.

Here's my take on the 811 digital OTA.

I have an 811 and a PC with a FusionHDTV3 Gold/q card. Signals that give grief on the 811 are also problematic on the FusionHDTV3. The main difference I see is that the 811 will have gross image corruption and sound dropouts, while the FusionHDTV3 will have only minor image corruption and uninterrupted sound. But the signal threshold where both start to have problems is about the same.

I have one channel (Fox 61, on RF 31) that shows as 72% on the 811 but it has bad dropouts and image corruption and broken sound. It's not watchable on the 811. Same channel on the FusionHDTV3 shows signal strength 79% & SNR 21.4dB, and runs fairly smooth with no audio or video dropouts and just a rare minor stutter that is barely noticeable.

My best guess is the 811 receiver is a few dB short of the best, and it doesn't handle marginal signals as well as the FusionHDTV3, but Dish can easily do that measurement and compare to other receivers on the market. The Dish CSR's might not have the data, but you can be sure the engineering department does. Dish are most likely to be using an off the shelf OTA ATSC tuner (e.g. Conexant) plus some ancillary junk around it. Usually it's hard to screw that up, but if you try hard enough .... :)

Well 2.84 was not the answer for me. Froze and got the bsod twice last night for the first time in a few weeks. Also had problems with audio cutting out and would have to change channel and then go back to get the audio to connect to my receiver. The bsod appeared last night one time when I was not even changing channels. The screen just went black and I had to hard boot. In the past it has always been when changing channels.
I also had a new problem with the guide last night. It would come up but I could not scroll through it. It was frozen until I did a hard reboot.

acoldstarnolds said:
Well 2.84 was not the answer for me. Froze and got the bsod twice last night for the first time in a few weeks. ... The bsod appeared last night one time when I was not even changing channels. The screen just went black and I had to hard boot. In the past it has always been when changing channels.
I also had a new problem with the guide last night. It would come up but I could not scroll through it. It was frozen until I did a hard reboot.
Sounds like a power problem. Is it overheating? Probably a defective unit.

What the heck today out of no where my screen lookes all messed up like there are many vertical lines like someone cut the picture with a paper shredder then put it back together with clear tape?? I want my 2.81 back is it possible to get it back?? :confused:

Robdoggz said:
What the heck today out of no where my screen lookes all messed up like there are many vertical lines like someone cut the picture with a paper shredder then put it back together with clear tape?? I want my 2.81 back is it possible to get it back?? :confused:

Nope.. Cannot rollback.

yup, this update has my 811 functioning perfect. No more updates are needed to satisfy me :)

Robdoggz said:
What the heck today out of no where my screen lookes all messed up like there are many vertical lines like someone cut the picture with a paper shredder then put it back together with clear tape??
After almost two months of relative goodness, my 811 "shredded" after I had been tuned into ESPN-HD for three-four hours and I changed to an SD ATSC channel. I took pictures this time so people know what we're talking about.

Picture 1 shows how this affects even the graphics in the OpenTV applications. Picture 2 is from NASA-TV and shows how "shredded" a normal SD channel looks. I used the "What's on Dish500" channel for Pictures 3 and 4 to illustrate the "Before and After a Reboot" needed to fix the problem.

I guess I hadn't seen anybody mention this for a long time and I thought it wasn't an issue under P284 anymore.

Attachments

• 811-MPEG-Bug1.jpg
    811-MPEG-Bug1.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 202
  • 811-MPEG-Bug2.jpg
    811-MPEG-Bug2.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 221
  • 811-MPEG-Bug3.jpg
    811-MPEG-Bug3.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 226
  • 811-After-Reboot.jpg
    811-After-Reboot.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 228

Does the new PSIP requirements from FCC affect the 6000?

hi, i am new to get satellite tv

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)