Confused on receiving ABC, FOX in HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hahler2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
Ashton, SD
I would like to switch to HD and DirecTV but I'm confused on how everything works right now. I live in rural South Dakota (just south of Aberdeen). Around here you can get the local channels in standard definition through D* and E*. However, OTA, you can only get ABC and CBS in HD. Will I be able to get the national channels of FOX, ABC, ect through DirecTV in HD? It's really kind of confusing on who can get it and who can't.

Nope.

If you have your locals delivered by your sat companies then you cannot get any waivers for distants, which is what you'd need to view the hd distants.

This will be solved for people that are in digital white areas, but right you are stuck until the digital model is created.

If you wanted to get them now, you'd have to break the laws policy by "moving" to an analog white are for a market that's not on satellite

That's what I was afraid of. Guess I will have to continue waiting and see what happens. I'm hoping that D* will have some significant increases in their HD content this year. It sure sounds like they're going to according to their press releases anyway.

hahler2,

IMO, the best thing you can do is email Directv and ask them what channels you are eligible for. It took me 3 emails to finally get someone to explain it to me correctly in depth - they even sent a wavier request on my behalf to NBC.

The guys in the local bb and cc stores don't have a clue.

In my case I was getting all the locals channels from D*. I switched to HD and I can get CBS E, ABC E, FOX E. The wavier request is for NBC E.

I am happy with this since the NFL is on FOX and CBS. I don't watch much on NBC.

you should be able to go to directv.com and enter in your zip code to see if DTV offers locals in your area. If not, they can help you with getting the distant network feeds

I was having the same confusion. From this forum, I was directed to call the HDTV eligibility number - 1 800 263 0028, and they helped to clarify. Lady named Ashley was very helpful.

Sounds good. I will try calling that number and see what they can tell me. Thanks for the help guys.

Well I just got off the phone with D* and they told me that any station that I cannot receive OTA they would have permission to send to me over the dish. The guy told me that I would get the national HD feeds out of LA! That's great news for me, now I just need to go TV shopping. :)

hahler2 said:
Well I just got off the phone with D* and they told me that any station that I cannot receive OTA they would have permission to send to me over the dish. The guy told me that I would get the national HD feeds out of LA! :)

I would get that in writing because DTV will be the one to decide which one you can not get.

wongloo said:
I was having the same confusion. From this forum, I was directed to call the HDTV eligibility number - 1 800 263 0028, and they helped to clarify. Lady named Ashley was very helpful.
I called the number and got disconnected.

Will I be able to get the national channels of FOX, ABC, ect through DirecTV in HD? It's really kind of confusing on who can get it and who can't.

I recently got the D* HD upgrade($99). I rcvd the new H10 BTW. I live in Austin and rcv all channels in DTV. I called customer retention and asked them if I was eligible to receive any of the network HD feeds and they turned on CBS and FOX> They said I would be receiving ABC as soon as my region was released. I also have an OTA and rcv all local DTV channels.
So, if hyou called they just might give you some national HD feeds. It's worth a try.

Someone in retention goofed then. If you have your locals through D* and you didn't already have the distants, then I don't think they should have done that. Oh well, enjoy them.

Beavis said:
Someone in retention goofed then. If you have your locals through D* and you didn't already have the distants, then I don't think they should have done that. Oh well, enjoy them.

Not necessarily. If his networks are O&O then he will get the HD distant nets, regardless if his locals are available.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ESPN Full Court

Samsung 360 problems

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)