Changing 522 Transponder

pkrbkr

Original poster
Aug 20, 2004
Hello everyone,

I am new to dish network, only had it about a month now.

Can I change the transponder on the 522 to one where I get a better signal? Or are transponders on 121 specific to a certain area for locals?

Edit: nevermind :)

Specific channels are on specific transponders. When you "left the transponder at 11", it was meaningless.

When you select a channel (any satellite channel - not just locals) you want to watch, the box goes to it's system tables and looks up the satellite, transponder, and stream for that channel, then switches the tuner to it.

Now, when it comes to debugging this type of issue, you've already proven that you can get the odd transponders on 121 (it's common to lose "half" a satellite for various reasons), so it's either trouble with transponder 7 (or the uplink to it), or weather. Some transponders are weaker than others, and therefore more prone to rain fade - especially on 121 and 105.

So, when you get it back, maybe record the signal strength for 7 and compare it to 11.

Thanks Simon,

I just talked to the dish tech again and they explained it about the same way.
so i "get" it now :)

Turns out my 522 is looking at the wrong transponder number. it should be looking at 10 and not 7. he said it must be getting the wrong info from the satellite. he said to turn it off tonight and maybe it would correct itself by morning. otherwise i'd have to wait a week for them to get someone out here to look at it.

The 522 is the first dvr i've had and i did really like it, (sound bug aside) but i'm not waiting a week to get my receiver fixed. i'd rather switch back to cable and maybe pickup a tivo.

pkrbkr said:
Thanks Simon,

I just talked to the dish tech again and they explained it about the same way.
so i "get" it now :)

Turns out my 522 is looking at the wrong transponder number. it should be looking at 10 and not 7. he said it must be getting the wrong info from the satellite. he said to turn it off tonight and maybe it would correct itself by morning. otherwise i'd have to wait a week for them to get someone out here to look at it.

The 522 is the first dvr i've had and i did really like it, (sound bug aside) but i'm not waiting a week to get my receiver fixed. i'd rather switch back to cable and maybe pickup a tivo.
NO reason whatsoever for you to have to wait more than overnight to get it fixed. You tell them to fix or replace it by Monday, or take it all back. that will get a reaction.

Thanks Simon, I'll give them a call tomorrow. I wasn't sure how long the wait usually was for service/replacement.

Now i'm not really sure if that Tech was correct or not. he said my receiver was on the wrong transponder, however according to the Unoffical Dish Network Channel List my locals moved from transponder 10 to transponder 7 this morning. For some reason I have no reception on transponder 7.

Maybe there is just a problem with the switch over...its just too bad it has to happen the day before the Packers are playing. :mad:

I need my locals.

If they moved, you might need to reboot the box - maybe even by pulling the power plug - it now sounds like a software issue and not a hardware one.

Maybe a reset of the switch matrix would help - and that includes a reboot, so why not? Disconnect the satellite feeds. Run Check Switch. Pull power plug. Run Check Switch AGAIN. Reconnect satellite feeds, one more Check Switch and you're probably going to be fine. :)

I have tried doing the soft reboot. i also unplugged it for a few minutes, but i haven't pulled off the cables or done the extra check switch so I'll do that next.

If that doesn't work could the dish need a different alignment for transponder 7? i would think since the receiver is picking up all the regular dish channels the receiver should be fine.

It's pretty unlikely that the bird is twisted. :) While that DOES happen, the satellite control centers normally have that fixed very quickly - AND, you'll see posts on this site within minutes of it happening. :)

So, because the problem seems to be limited to your box, it's just a matter of kicking it in the head until it wakes up (that's kind of a backwards metaphor, ain't it?).

If the triple Check Switch (matrix reset) doesn't do it, and the overnght downloads (guide, etc) don't do it, maybe a re-auth hit from E* WILL do it.

Oh - don't forget - always turn "off" BOTH your tuners every night so the box is in "stand-by" and can thereby accept the updates.

One other thing - what's your software level (a good thing to keep in your signature)?
In case you don't already know, it's shown on the Sys Info screen.

ok, i did the whole reset. now my local channels have disappeared from the channel guide. also, transponder 7 still shows no signal when i go to the dish pointing guide.

Software is L203 I believe it is the latest version.
I will make sure to leave the receiver off tonight.

Update: i turned off the receiver then back on, now my locals appear again in the channel guide but when i switch to the channel there is no signal.

I think I'll give them a call tomorrow...Thanks again for all your help Simon.

Well i just called down to radio shack (i know some ppl there) their locals are working fine on transponder 7...getting a 75 for signal. i'm gonna take my receiver down and hook it up too see what happens.

Well i hooked it up at Shack and i was able to get a 75 in signal on Transponder 7 @ 121 with no problem. Locals worked just fine.

Of course it couldn't get signal from satellite 119 transponder 1..but hey i can't have everything.

When i took it home i still didn't get any reception on 121/7...And after doing another switch test i could get signal from Sat 121 at all.

Any Who, Dish said someone will be here on Wednesday to look at it. I just hope once its fixed it doesn't happen again.

Again thanks for all your help Simon.

I do have to say the Dish customer service people have been helpful and generally seem like they care about fixing the problem.

Wow - that's a strange way for an LNBF to fail, but that seems to be the case.

I'm happy I was wrong and you've got it nailed - and your box (with it's recordings) doesn't have to be sent back.

Also happy to see that you found soe good E* CSRs - maybe there's hope there.

SimpleSimon said:
I'm happy I was wrong and you've got it nailed - and your box (with it's recordings) doesn't have to be sent back.

Yeah I didn't really want to have to change receivers. Hopefully it is a quick fix for them on Wednesday. Assuming they show up :)

Remember what happens when we assume... :)

(In this case, you will miss a day of work for no reason like I did..)

I hope I am wrong though...

Transponder 7 is the main feed for the locals on 121/105. If there is not signal, or low level on that transponder, your locals will be shoddy, or nonexistant.

You just need your dish tuned properly. No big deal.

Well I have locals again.

The tech first realigned the Dish, but that didn't totally fix the problem the receiver was still having trouble picking up a signal. So he replaced the multi switch, and LNB's now everything is working fine.

Transponder 7 channels are being migrated over to transponder 10 to alleviate the problem with transponder 7 as of today.

That's probably what fixed you ... and the dish alignment.

MrJingles said:
Transponder 7 channels are being migrated over to transponder 10 to alleviate the problem with transponder 7 as of today.

That's probably what fixed you ... and the dish alignment.

Weren't the local channels on 10 to begin with? So they change them to 7 only to change them back to 10. real good.

Locals were on 7. They're getting them off 7 and moving them to 105 because of the problems installers were having with transponder 7. For instance, if you hit 65 on transponder 7 in Michigan, that was GOOD signal. If you really worked at it, 75 was about the best you could get. Now, just last week, I was in the mid 80s on 7, and 10 was in the 90s (Superdish tune). They're doing the work to fix it, so at least they're moving in the right direction.

thanks to tech

Newbie needs help!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)